Sons' sorrow

Interesting to note people's views on maintenance of the stadium. With the exception of the fairly significant slope at the near side corner of the pitch, I don't see too much cause for concern with the stand itself. In a structural sense. It could do with a bit of cosmetics but is that the general concern or are others seeing more serious issues I may be missing?

In terms of cosmetics, is this an area where the support could lend a hand? I know you need to be careful in terms of insurance, H&S etc but for low complex works like painting, general joinery etc maybe a volunteering day over the summer could help the club and reduce labour costs?

Just a thought.

On the Aitken interview, I agree he comes across very well. As he always has done. I'm glad his situation has been resolved and although it's disappointing to see players move elsewhere the hope is that we can now move forward and get the squad shaped early. Ben Gordon would be a useful signing if available but I'm sure Aitken will have his own targets lined up. Of course the quality we attract will be the best indicator of available budget.

I don't see major issues with the stadium either, other than a good pressure wash of the seats and surrounding areas,possibly the grey around the building freshened up with a good lick of paint. New bulbs in the floodlights. A summer volunteer day would be an excellent idea, bring a bucket and sponge day. 

Andy Webster anyone? Having been released from st mirren, is he too old, or slow? Certainly has bags of experience, like Darren Barr has, bigger and stronger possibly though 

47 minutes ago, optimistic said:

Andy Webster anyone? Having been released from st mirren, is he too old, or slow? Certainly has bags of experience, like Darren Barr has, bigger and stronger possibly though 

God no. He's absolutely done.

The cosmetic stuff isn't the issue, the floodlights and the slope are. Both of which cost a fortune to replace and fix.

I don't think new bulbs in the floodlights will fix the issue. I'm led to believe they aren't fit for purpose.

As much as the cosmetic stuff isn't as issue it could be doing with getting sorted as well. Open the doors one day and let us all down to deal with it if the club wont do it themselves.

Strange wee story from the Sunday Post:

"Morton have entered into talks to bring local boy Gary Harkins to the club from relegated Ayr United. The 32 year old left his home town in 2003 to join Blackburn Rovers, and returned to Scotland in 2007 to join Partick Thistle...Duffy and Harkins met on Friday to discuss the move, with the Greenock club believed to be keen on Darren Barr from Dumbarton if their pursuit of Harkins is unsuccessful."

Morton may well be interested in Barr, but what would the signing of Harkins (a creative centre-mid) have to do with Barr (a centre-half)? 

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Strange wee story from the Sunday Post:

"Morton have entered into talks to bring local boy Gary Harkins to the club from relegated Ayr United. The 32 year old left his home town in 2003 to join Blackburn Rovers, and returned to Scotland in 2007 to join Partick Thistle...Duffy and Harkins met on Friday to discuss the move, with the Greenock club believed to be keen on Darren Barr from Dumbarton if their pursuit of Harkins is unsuccessful."

Morton may well be interested in Barr, but what would the signing of Harkins (a creative centre-mid) have to do with Barr (a centre-half)? 

Aye. Can't see the link between the two at all. Out of curiosity what are sons fans thoughts on Barr? Would he be a good addition?

8 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Aye. Can't see the link between the two at all. Out of curiosity what are sons fans thoughts on Barr? Would he be a good addition?

I'm not his biggest fan, although he did put in some pretty good performances towards the end of the season. I'd say he was a pretty decent Championship centre-back, not as good as Buchanan, but above average.

He can get dragged out of position a bit, and when he's isolated up against a pacey forward he struggles, but apart from that he'd do a job. Especially with a younger guy alongside him.

22 hours ago, optimistic said:

I don't see major issues with the stadium either, other than a good pressure wash of the seats and surrounding areas,possibly the grey around the building freshened up with a good lick of paint. New bulbs in the floodlights. A summer volunteer day would be an excellent idea, bring a bucket and sponge day. 

You must need a trip to the opticians if you don't see an issue with that pathetic excuse for a ground. I don't think there's a more disgraceful and boring ground in Scottish Football than the Strathclyde Homes, Bet Butler or whatever pish sponsor it's got these days. Sooner the The Sons are back in the 2nd the better. A joke of a side well out of their depth in the 2nd tier.  

Just now, Steven Craig said:

You must need a trip to the opticians if you don't see an issue with that pathetic excuse for a ground. I don't think there's a more disgraceful and boring ground in Scottish Football than the Strathclyde Homes, Bet Butler or whatever pish sponsor it's got these days. Sooner the The Sons are back in the 2nd the better. A joke of a side well out of their depth in the 2nd tier.  

Long time no see my man, hope you're well. Missed your contributions on here.

3b255c04b969ffa3d33eac7d99108022.gif

37 minutes ago, Steven Craig said:

Well eh well ehm maybe you need to go to the opticians also Steven.

1 minute ago, Mattmc said:

Well eh well ehm maybe you need to go to the opticians also Steven.

Nope looking at my bank account right now and that's right I'm definitely seeing it clearly. Swimming in it lad. 

Edited by Steven Craig

43 minutes ago, Steven Craig said:

Team just won the domestic treble and yet he's back to hating other clubs more than loving his own.

2 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Team just won the domestic treble and yet he's back to hating other clubs more than loving his own.

Been to Balloch a few times. Had a venture into that McDonald's next to the caravan site a number of years ago, shame some wino/junkie crackpot came in once with a glass of wine on his knees. Place is crawling with them.