Sons' sorrow

If we're signing 4 more and two of them are defenders on loan, can we assume that the other two will be a wide player and a striker? We seem fairly well covered in the centre of midfield with GG, Carswell and Wilson (can Craig Barr play there too in emergencies?) and if we get Porteous and Penrice then defence is sorted. Out wide we only have Walsh and Seagall and up front we have an injured Nade and an injury prone Stewart. I'm not sure a squad of 17 will be enough but if that's how Stevie wants to spend the budget then I'll go with it.

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If we're signing 4 more and two of them are defenders on loan, can we assume that the other two will be a wide player and a striker? We seem fairly well covered in the centre of midfield with GG, Carswell and Wilson (can Craig Barr play there too in emergencies?) and if we get Porteous and Penrice then defence is sorted. Out wide we only have Walsh and Seagall and up front we have an injured Nade and an injury prone Stewart. I'm not sure a squad of 17 will be enough but if that's how Stevie wants to spend the budget then I'll go with it.

Thinks of Paul McQuilken and sighs.......

Striking legends.....and let's throw in Archie Campbell.

Eddie Annand, Stevie Mallan (no, not that one) Michael Moore and Darren Gribben. Let's not forget Davie McCaig, the Barry Manilow lookalike who scored a 40 yard screamer at Glebe Park to virtually assure Sons of a Premier place in 1984.

1 hour ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Eddie Annand, Stevie Mallan (no, not that one) Michael Moore and Darren Gribben. Let's not forget Davie McCaig, the Barry Manilow lookalike who scored a 40 yard screamer at Glebe Park to virtually assure Sons of a Premier place in 1984.

Was it not more of a trickler? #hazymemories

How did we ever manage to pay fees like £50k? It's not like the crowds were hugely different when Gibson played for us from now, was it a case of local businessmen or board members stumping up the cash?

In those days we sold players too. But yeah there was a bit of local businessmen stumping up cash now and again.

1 hour ago, lionel wickson said:

I think Rankine put up the money for Charlie Gibson. The crazy money we spent on Campbell came from a cup tie at Ibrox iirc.

The celtic cup tie, the sale of stephen mccahill and rankine buying the club in 1989 financed the CG transfer.Actually it was 40 grand plus Robert Docherty who was valued at 10 grand.I know first hand as a mate from Glasgow was doing work experience in Accounting and worked alongside Alex WRIGHT at that time.

As for CC i think we brought in 125 grand from the sale of Mcquade, Boyd and Monaghan and yes we also played 2 cup ties at Ibrox that year with the first one taking place just before CC 's arrival.So i guess that was the source of the money.Think it was 32 grand not 50 according to newspapers at the time.