Sons' sorrow

9 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

In the interests of chucking around names. How about Kris Doolan?

Young, has ambitions of getting into coaching, has played at a good level, is a model pro on the park and, as a striker, might play some more attacking football.

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/kris-doolan-joins-thistle-weir-youth-academy-coaching-staff/

I might have to change who I support if you appoint him :wub:

Edit: I have absolutely no idea what he’s like as a coach, but he’s certainly played under a variety of managers (of varying quality) so you’d like to think some of that will have stuck with him.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

Appointing a guy at the tail end of their playing career is obviously a risk. They lack coaching/management experience and they're potentially still to close to being part of the dressing room. It's a big change from being one of the guys to being the boss. Its a risk I want us to take. Graham is an obvious candidate. I wonder if Prunty would want to step into management after gaining some coaching experience at Airdrie?

2 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I might have to change who I support if you appoint him :wub:

Edit: I have absolutely no idea what he’s like as a coach, but he’s certainly played under a variety of managers (of varying quality) so you’d like to think some of that will have stuck with him.

He's one of my all-time favourite non-Sons players. I think every smaller club wants to have had a Kris Doolan.

By the way, do you think Alan Archibald has any intentions of getting back into management? He's been at our last few games (watching a player I would assume) but I'm now starting to put 2+2 together in my head and make 11.

24 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

At least as important as the managerial announcement is the news that the whole Cognitive and More Homes DFC shebang has been pawned to Pendragon this morning according to Companies House.

It's a floating charge which would be part of the deal when they granted a standard security to Pendragon to pay off Neil Rankine

24 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

At least as important as the managerial announcement is the news that the whole Cognitive and More Homes DFC shebang has been pawned to Pendragon this morning according to Companies House.

DFC accounts also published where financial position is described as ‘healthy’! 😲

1 minute ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

DFC accounts also published where financial position is described as ‘healthy’! 😲

Probably as healthy as they have been for a while given the grants they received last season on top of season ticket money

2 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Probably as healthy as they have been for a while given the grants they received last season on top of season ticket money

Aye, mentions furlough scheme, Scot Gov support package as well as Bounceback Loan 💷 💷 

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

He's one of my all-time favourite non-Sons players. I think every smaller club wants to have had a Kris Doolan.

By the way, do you think Alan Archibald has any intentions of getting back into management? He's been at our last few games (watching a player I would assume) but I'm now starting to put 2+2 together in my head and make 11.

Yes, I think he does and I would be very interested to see how he would do outside his comfort zone of Thistle.

However, I think that, if all goes to plan, McCall will go to a sort of director of football job with us in a couple of years and Archibald will take over from him as head coach. Not sure if he’d be willing to step away from that, and obviously if the Dumbarton job is part time I don’t know what he would do outside football alongside that. To my knowledge he went from playing full time to managing us full time, had a short spell out of that and then has been full time coaching with us for the last year and a bit. 

Never nice to see someone lose their job, especially when it’s a good guy like Duffy - but absolutely the correct decision. Things had gone very stale under his management and his business in the transfer market was uninspiring. 

Don’t care who our next manager is as long they show a bit of enthusiasm and ambition on and off the park. Let’s get a decent squad built nice and early instead of waiting around for the scraps.

3 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

Let's hope there is no more shambles such as forcing the manager to attend the exit trials one week before the season starts to get over 11 players in the squad.

What makes you think he was forced?

51 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We already have some hilarious takes on the infamous Facebook group as to who should be appointed...

Jim McIntyre, Ray McKinnon, Neil Lennon, Derek McInnes, Paddy Flannery and Garry Fleming player manager. Some list of potential candidates that. 

The Tactical Genius has also been mentioned. 

11 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

Let's hope there is no more shambles such as forcing the manager to attend the exit trials one week before the season starts to get over 11 players in the squad.

That wasn't forced. That was very much down to Duffy not committing to the club until the end of May/start of June and having very poor options to choose from for new signings.

14 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

If the manager doesn’t have over 11 players in his squad the week before the season starts then that’s his problem. Good to see the board stepping in and telling him to address it considering most of us thought he was just left to get on with things.

The above is exactly why today’s decision is the correct one.

What time is it? Is it self-promotion o'clock? I thought as much...

Anyway. I spoke to Duffy just after the news was published. We were right on deadline so I had to fire together as much as I could in seven minutes (which is below) but he handles himself with real class. The tone couldn't be any different to Aitken's departure. 

The full interview will be in next week's Lennox because there simply wasn't time or space this week, but here is he talking about the decision, the role the new owners played and the fact  he didn't feel it was fair to keep us waiting on a decision in such a short off-season.

It didn't work out as anyone would've wanted for Jim, but the players speak incredibly highly of him and he's been very easy to deal with from a reporting point-of-view. I can see him moving into academy coaching or something like that, where the development is more important than the results. And I would wager that he would be excellent in that kind of role.

Good luck to him. Not the best manager we've ever had, but certainly not the worst. Now I hope we see someone come in who can grab the club by the scruff of the neck and instil the sort of mentality we had under Ian Murray.