Sons' sorrow

7 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

What time is it? Is it self-promotion o'clock? I thought as much...

Anyway. I spoke to Duffy just after the news was published. We were right on deadline so I had to fire together as much as I could in seven minutes (which is below) but he handles himself with real class. The tone couldn't be any different to Aitken's departure. 

The full interview will be in next week's Lennox because there simply wasn't time or space this week, but here is he talking about the decision, the role the new owners played and the fact  he didn't feel it was fair to keep us waiting on a decision in such a short off-season.

It didn't work out as anyone would've wanted for Jim, but the players speak incredibly highly of him and he's been very easy to deal with from a reporting point-of-view. I can see him moving into academy coaching or something like that, where the development is more important than the results. And I would wager that he would be excellent in that kind of role.

Good luck to him. Not the best manager we've ever had, but certainly not the worst. Now I hope we see someone come in who can grab the club by the scruff of the neck and instil the sort of mentality we had under Ian Murray.

Fair play to Duffy, he overseen the least enjoyable Sons team I’ve ever watched but there’s nae denying he’s a decent guy who conducts himself very well when it comes to stuff like this. His lack of enthusiasm was infuriating to me and I think in that interview he’s basically admitting that’s something he lacks right now.

That's actually quite refreshing to read. This line - "I felt it requires someone with a freshness and energy to deliver their ambitions" shows that Duffy is at least self aware. He also acknowledges the need for the club to move quickly, which is again credit to him; I just wish he'd acted as quickly over the last two summers and we maybe wouldn't be in the position of parting ways. Would agree with Jan that moving away from a results driven business might be ideal for Duffy, and best of luck to him. 

2 hours ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

As at 31 May last year we were in the red by £4.5k but that was down from £107k in the red the previous year.

With no wages for probably the month of June and prize money (lol) we should be in the black next month then?

2 hours ago, Thommo90 said:

Think he has literally just been made assistant to Martindale at Livi the other day.

Yep, looks like the succession plan may be for him to take over 2022/23 season and Martindale moves upstairs for DoF position

A real gentleman on and off the park.In some ways I'm sorry to see him go but it is the best decision.Would like to thank him for all his effort during a miserable time for football and for the club with brabco.All my sincere best JD.

Anyway a  new dawn let's hope....

I'm delighted JD has gone and we can make a fresh start, get rid of the majority if the team and let the new manager come in and make his own stamp. I dont really mind what the new guy does but as long as we actually try to win games I'll be happy. 

I'd like us to go down the young, making his mark kind of guy like we did when we appointed Iain Murray. Someone like Mick Kennedy at Darvel would be a shout with his contacts in the game although he wouldn't come, we probably don't pay as much as Darvel!

It's just struck me that we've only finished in the top half of a league twice in the past 10 seasons. Third in League One in 2011/12 and fifth in the Championship in 2013/14.

I know we've been punching above our weight for a decent chunk of that time, but how nice would it be to be battling out at the right end of the league for once? There will be members of the Young Sons who will never have seen that!

3 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

It's just struck me that we've only finished in the top half of a league twice in the past 10 seasons. Third in League One in 2011/12 and fifth in the Championship in 2013/14.

I know we've been punching above our weight for a decent chunk of that time, but how nice would it be to be battling out at the right end of the league for once? There will be members of the Young Sons who will never have seen that!

It's all relative. 7th and 8th in the Championship as a part time team, particularly given some of the sides in with us, were very creditable finishes. 6th in Duffy's first season was probably right given the players we had. Aitken wasn't getting the best from them. We probably did better in his 2nd season than his unimpressive squad should have, but I blame Duffy's poor recruitment for that. He got lucky. This season we saw a combination of bad recruitment and a lack of attacking ambition. Finished where we deserved.

But if you offered me 6th in League One (our best performance under Duffy) or a title win in League Two then I'd take League One mid table every time.

4 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

He's one of my all-time favourite non-Sons players. I think every smaller club wants to have had a Kris Doolan.

By the way, do you think Alan Archibald has any intentions of getting back into management? He's been at our last few games (watching a player I would assume) but I'm now starting to put 2+2 together in my head and make 11.

You mean being the boss rather than one of McCall's assistants? Archie was rehired by Bunter at the end of his gardening leave!

He must be getting similar money to when was in charge. Could you afford him? We don't need two assistant managers.

10 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I have it on good authority that big Mark McLaughlin is highly regarded as a coach. An Andy Graham and Ching McLaughlin dream team would be lovely.

Could still play them both at centre half.

1 minute ago, mike rankine said:

Strange comment from Ian McCall on Sportsound tonight. Something along the lines of Jim Duffy being forced to play defensively due to our home pitch!emoji848.png

McCall absolutely tore into our pitch after the game last month. He said he reckoned it was the reason we were where we were, because it was impossible to play on.

I'm not sure if he was just sticking up for his pal, but the pitch was really difficult to play on during the period where we had games every second day. I'm not sure that's the reason we played the style of football we did mind you.