Sons' sorrow

27 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Notice Bob McHugh had rocked up at EK. A player who, although I always disliked him playing against us, I'd have taken in a heartbeat. Little bit of quality in the final third. Especially in League 2!

Disappointing that we can't really compete with teams like EK, but that's the way it is just now, unfortunately. 

Could be other reasons than money for McHugh going Lowland League. In League 2 we've got some pretty long away journeys. There's a decent chance that he signed for EK because it suited his personal circumstances rather than money.

18 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Could be other reasons than money for McHugh going Lowland League. In League 2 we've got some pretty long away journeys. There's a decent chance that he signed for EK because it suited his personal circumstances rather than money.

McHugh was quite happy to traipse to Peterhead of all places in a lower level in his previous move; it is unquestionably about money. 

4 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Maybe he just wanted a game against The  Rangers/Celtic b team

2 hours ago, George Parr said:

I get there are a bunch of associated perks but fair fucks to any of you prepared to part with 500 notes for a League 2 season ticket. Price seems extraordinary for this level - do other clubs do this?

Think it is just an attempt at making a bit more money upfront to be honest. I doubt there is all that much interest in the offer really...

Don't have a problem with the Premium tickets. If folk have the cash and wanted to back the club a wee bit more financially then good on them. 

Alas, the current background means I don't think it will see too much demand but can't blame them for trying. 

I've no problem with the club trying to sell premium packages, if folk are daft enough to part with £500. I'd like to see an initiative where we could buy season tickets for folk in the community that the club could give out for free. That said, I'm not sure folk would even take them for free...

Edited by FifeSons

43 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

I've no problem with the club trying to sell premium packages, if folk are daft enough to part with £500. I'd like to see an initiative where we could buy season tickets for folk in the community that the club could give out for free. That said, I'm not sure folk would even take them for free...

There's nothing to stop you buying a season ticket for someone who can't already. There might not be an official club scheme for it, but there's no barrier to you doing it.

The club are in a bit of a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" position with the good denizens of this thread. They launch a fundraising perk package and are told "it's stupid to buy it" and "it's elitist(!)". Yet if they took no action they'd be shouted down as well. Perspective is important. Just because the owners are a shower of p***ks doesn't mean that everything the club does day to day is abject and awful.

16 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

The club are in a bit of a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" position with the good denizens of this thread. They launch a fundraising perk package and are told "it's stupid to buy it" and "it's elitist(!)". Yet if they took no action they'd be shouted down as well. Perspective is important. Just because the owners are a shower of p***ks doesn't mean that everything the club does day to day is abject and awful.

It is elitist, ya big hoor. Just because I don't favour something doesn't mean I'm sticking the boot into it though, I quite literally said I understand why it's there, it's just not for me. 

If we're talking about the board taking action though, I'd rather see the actions set out in the Trust letter carried out than them "taking action" by advertising a season ticket for rich folk that already existed before they came to power. 

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

There's nothing to stop you buying a season ticket for someone who can't already. There might not be an official club scheme for it, but there's no barrier to you doing it.

If Farrell’s gone when I’m back in a job, I will.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

It is elitist, ya big hoor. Just because I don't favour something doesn't mean I'm sticking the boot into it though, I quite literally said I understand why it's there, it's just not for me. 

If we're talking about the board taking action though, I'd rather see the actions set out in the Trust letter carried out than them "taking action" by advertising a season ticket for rich folk that already existed before they came to power. 

It's not elitist. It's a minor, overpriced perk package. Anyone buying it will almost certainly be doing so as a way of putting some revenue into the club. It's not classist to buy season tickets or hospitality or sponsor a player. This is no different. 

An awful lot of hand wringing going on in here at the minute.

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

If Farrell’s gone when I’m back in a job, I will.

Surely an altruistic gesture shouldn't be dependent upon such conditions? You either want to help the community or you don't, it shouldn't have any relationship with who the manager is.  After all, it was you who suggested it.

1 minute ago, Sweet Pete said:

Surely an altruistic gesture shouldn't be dependent upon such conditions? You either want to help the community or you don't, it shouldn't have any relationship with who the manager is.  After all, it was you who suggested it.

I don’t think anyone would take it, even for free, while he’s still there.

10 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

It's not elitist. It's a minor, overpriced perk package. Anyone buying it will almost certainly be doing so as a way of putting some revenue into the club. It's not classist to buy season tickets or hospitality or sponsor a player. This is no different. 

An awful lot of hand wringing going on in here at the minute.

The hand wringing is a symptom of more or less everything that has happened at the football club since March 2018. Suspicion is high, morale is low. The weekly football has been eye bleeding. It’s taking its toll. The challenge now is to not see absolutely everything through a negative lens. 

Edited by George Parr

7 minutes ago, George Parr said:

The hand wringing is a symptom of more or less everything that has happened at the football club since March 2018. Suspicion is high, morale is low. The weekly football has been eye bleeding. It’s taking its toll. The challenge now is to not see absolutely everything through a negative lens. 

Correct. Hence why I said "perspective is important". It rained at my son's school fun run today, but that is not the fault of Dumbarton FC.

Correct. Hence why I said "perspective is important". It rained at my son's school fun run today, but that is not the fault of Dumbarton FC.
U may think so, but I was down the rock last night and Dr Mackay was standing in the centre circle doing a rain dance........he may or may not have been shouting to the sky 'rain ya b*****d, ruin these kids sports day'

May have been a coincidence mind you.........