Sons' sorrow

Anyone from outside looking at our league record this season and last would be wondering what this whingeing is about, but that would be a mistake.

Over that period we've had some really good players in our squad, and the remainder have certainly been decent.  On our day we can compete with anyone in this division.

Stirling and Stenny could claim the same but crucially they have managed or are managing a level of consistency that seems beyond us.  Sure, we can point to injuries and suspensions, but I'd also point to the Binos operating last term with two recognised strikers and a third on the bench, whilst Stenny seem to have come out better this season in the central defence merry-go-round.  On such things are titles won.

I believe the manager's remit last season was a top four placing.  We achieved it only to be hammered.  I'd like to think that the target for this season is the title and maybe @Jan Vojáček could fill us in on that.

25 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Some things you can't balme him for but when things continue to repeat themselves like late goals or switching off then for me it falls at the managers door. We had problems conceding early goals previously and I believe a scout had said it was down to our organisation. 

Also, he could've signed more than 2 centre backs for an apparent title push. He didn't, we have injuries and are struggling to plug gaps. I'm afraid whichever way you slice our poor form it falls at Farrells door.

The early goals came in our relegation season when we were an absolute basketcase. So aye, that fell on Faz because it was trend across the whole season near enough. Regardless of who played there, and included when we made signings. That season we also had Bucky as our captain, and he was toiling massively in League One. Having a captain who can't organise couldn't help matters. Every successful team has a settled back four; from this season's Stenny to the Arsenal invincibles.

I agree with you on the CB situation too. It was a gamble and looked like a worry from the start of the season. In saying that, if Stenny lost Buchanan or Jamieson to injury they'd have Edin Lunch as backup. A player most Sons fans were happy to see the back of. Our gamble with injury didn't pay off (and whether that falls on Faz, training ground, physio or just bad luck is up for debate) but Stenhousemuir's has.

On our 'poor form' we've lost two games in 10. Winning seven, scoring 26. We've lost once in two months. It maybe doesn't feel like it because we're in League Two. But our form isn't poor. It's just not as good as Stenny's and therefore not as good as it needs to be to win a league.

Just now, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I believe the manager's remit last season was a top four placing.  We achieved it only to be hammered.  I'd like to think that the target for this season is the title and maybe @Jan Vojáček could fill us in on that.

I think his remit last season was promotion. Fairly sure it's the same this season too, iirc he mentioned it at Meet the Manager.

7 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Faz is on Lomond Radio right now with Jordan and Michael if anyone's interested.

https://lomondradio.broadcast.radio/

I've just heard him say the budget is gone for goalkeepers and he'd like to add a centre back and wide player but that's probably dependent on how much profit we make from the Rangers game and/or if he can move folk on. A rather worrying listen if I'm honest, despite Stevie's talent of putting a positive spin on things. 

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

I've just heard him say the budget is gone for goalkeepers and he'd like to add a centre back and wide player but that's probably dependent on how much profit we make from the Rangers game and/or if he can move folk on. A rather worrying listen if I'm honest, despite Stevie's talent of putting a positive spin on things. 

At least it confirms that the Blue Pound will be invested in the squad and won't just vanish. Does make you wonder what would've happened in January if we had drawn Airdrie away or something.

Interesting that he also said some players might move on. 

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Targetting a wide player over a goalkeeper seems absolutely bonkers to me.

Or a centre-back as even when he returns Mark Durnan may still be an injury risk.  As regards the goalkeeper, whilst yesterday's conditions were atrocious I think I've seen enough over the last two seasons to now prioritise that position. 

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Byrne, MacLean and Blair must surely be on the radar to leave and if we free up 3 wages then surely that allows us to bring at least 3 or 4 in with the cup money as well.

Would like to think so, Ross MacLean is the most frustrating player, he has the ability, but doesn't produce often enough.

I’d definitely punt MacLean. He’s contributed nothing for far too long.

Orsi is a good player, but really needs to start chipping in more goals and improving his end product.

At least the tactical genius has put his ego aside and started playing Gray.

Edited by FifeSons

4 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Looking at the league table the remainder of the season could now become a slow grind. 

Stenny could well motor further away, and fair play to them, and that would leave only the play-off places to contest.  Spartans have surprised most people and I don't expect them to collapse.  Peterhead and ourselves have been blighted by injury and inconsistency but unless Bonnyrigg go on a run, and they would need even more penalties for that, we should both have enough to secure a top four finish.

And then the lottery of play-offs.  Edinburgh City are pretty nailed on to come straight down and it looks like our old pals Annan will be in the mix.  None of it is very enticing and I expect the attendances and interest to now reflect that.

And a merry Christmas to you to

Does that mean the following then..?

1. We're running with a young, unproven goalkeeper as number 1 with little to no competition for that place? Not to mention the doubts many of us have over his ability (at this stage, as he is still young, imo).

2. We are waiting until after the Rangers game to see what we can afford.

3. If we can move on a couple then we will bring in someone else.

I wonder if we will be able to get folk out of contracts or if it will be loans we look to.