Sons' sorrow

37 minutes ago, Casey said:

Screenshot_2023-12-30-21-33-27-016_com.android.chrome.jpg

The Stags Head pub?

Supposed to be re-opening Feb/March, hopefully fully gutted & renovated, hopefully smelling better too.

The owner also has the Cardross Inn & has recently re-opened The Waverley.

Edited by Silverton End

Watching the Killie Dundee highlights on Sportscene and went back to watch the cup game highlights. Gregg Wylde… Even worse than I remembered.

In his defence, I think it actually bounces just before he hits it. We’ve been so unlucky against Premiership sides in the cup in the last decade or so. So many times we’ve come really close, only to just miss out. Think there’s been three 1-0 defeats to Aberdeen, 1-0 against Dundee and the Killie one.

Edited by FifeSons

17 hours ago, Silverton End said:

The Stags Head pub?

Supposed to be re-opening Feb/March, hopefully fully gutted & renovated, hopefully smelling better too.

The owner also has the Cardross Inn & has recently re-opened The Waverley.

Same guy that owns the Glencairn? Or am I getting mixed up?

That would probably make absolutely no sense.

Most likely have boys back at work tomorrow with no chance of arranging time off on ridiculously short notice.

While I'm here I would like to wish Uncle Faz a Happy New Year and to continue his good work into 2024.

Edited by Neilly

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

That would probably make absolutely no sense.

Most likely have boys back at work tomorrow with no chance of arranging time off on ridiculously short notice.

While I'm here I would like to wish Uncle Faz a Happy New Year and to continue his good work into 2024.

# @NeillyOot 😉

Must be nice getting public holidays :(

I know from my brother's team that they tried to switch training to daytime today rather than night and it proved difficult to get anything like a full squad together. I'm not sure how many folk get public holidays these days either? Me and my other half are both working today and so are my brother and dad.

16 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

I doubt many will be working. Today is a public holiday, that’s why there are games in the top two divisions. Seems odd that leagues one and two had no games last week or this week

There are games on in the top two divisions as, apart from Arbroath, that is their full time jobs.

Your doubt about many normal people working today is probably wrong. There will be many people working today certainly I know more people working today than those who aren't.

The idea of rearranging your game at Stranraer for tomorrow in such a short time frame was silly. Time to move on mate.

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

There are games on in the top two divisions as, apart from Arbroath, that is their full time jobs.

Your doubt about many normal people working today is probably wrong. There will be many people working today certainly I know more people working today than those who aren't.

The idea of rearranging your game at Stranraer for tomorrow in such a short time frame was silly. Time to move on mate.

There are games on in the top two divisions because they know they will get crowds. We’ve had games in the lower divisions on 2nd January for forty odd years, ever since 1st January fell out of favour, and those games tend to get bigger crowds than the corresponding Saturday games.

On 02/01/2024 at 10:06, Neilly said:

It's not the full time jobs of those who attend them though is it? The SPFL isn't in the habit of scheduling games when crowds generally can't attend. The reason there was a full fixture list in the top two divisions is because they expect those games to be better attended than playing them on another midweek evening (or even that midweek evening). Other than St Mirren v Celtic (which was televised) all the other games could have been moved to an evening or to Jan 1st if the clubs involved had wanted to do so. The fact none of them did suggests they felt it was more advantageous to attendance to leave them where they were.

Many people do indeed work January 2nd as it's not a holiday elsewhere in the UK and national companies tend to use the English calendar (and therefore give Easter Monday as a holiday which some Scots employers don't). I can't find any stats on a brief google but I'd be surprised if far more people in Scotland are not on holiday than were working though, at least  once we factor out those such as emergency services, public transport, etc who are always liable to be working on public holidays anyway. Trades will certainly mostly be off as will pretty much everyone with a desk job. It's probably mostly retail workers who are potentially back at work and those people are just as likely to be working a normal Saturday too. Personally I don't know many people who were working on Tuesday (I was but that was entirely voluntary to catch up with some sideline work - I was the only one here).

You're right though that rearranging the game at short notice at this time of year is probably a non-starter in terms of getting stewarding, catering, buses, etc never mind the actual players who of course may still have some affected by return to work. I agree it's probably not practical, but I don't think it's particularly because of working hours on the 2nd itself. Clubs used to arrange cup replays on the same notice regularly but the difference is that places are open on the Monday to get things re-booked etc. That wasn't the case on Jan 1st obviously.

On 03/01/2024 at 14:09, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’m hearing that a certain trialist may officially have his name on the teamsheet this coming weekend. I’m also led to believe we were offered a very decent alternative and decided against it. 

If that is true, Faz is doing himself absolutely no favours. It's almost like he wants to be up against it, so he has excuses if he fails to achieve objectives and targets.

1 hour ago, squeezebox-son said:

If that is true, Faz is doing himself absolutely no favours. It's almost like he wants to be up against it, so he has excuses if he fails to achieve objectives and targets.

This is either a non-runner of a story or there's more to it.

2 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

Let's not start a baseless conspiracy theory.

2 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

That's assuming if BBPF's post is accurate that Faz was the one making the decisions.