Sons' sorrow

Aye, it's safe to say that this signing increases our chances of staying in League 1 a helluva lot. Terrific work and, as others have touched upon, the kind of signing that will impact some others considering their future.

We could still do with another option this season though, rather than depending so heavily on one man staying fit to lead the line.

Great start though! 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

That's tremendous work, it really is. I honestly thought after his performances in the play offs that he'd attract too much attention from other clubs but to have him sign up is terrific. Hopefully encourages others to sign up too (Hiya Finlay! Hiya Kalvin!).

They were all away in Portugal together after the POY awards, where Finlay got the DFC badge tattooed on his ar$e. 

Always thought Ruth would be the hardest to convince, but if they’ve got a good dressing room then we might find all 3 do sign on again. 

the big difference this summer might be the fact we’ve been successful. Avoiding relegation and failing to go up don’t exactly build team spirit like a promotion

9 hours ago, May Rckinnon said:

Enjoy league 1 folks. I'm going to miss this thread & Faz shenanigans.

You are more than welcome to visit this thread at any time, we are a welcoming crew.  As for Faz, maybe his recent success can inspire unpopular managers in the Strathmore area.

Will be sure to come onto this thread if things aren’t going well and everyone wants Faz out again. 

At least we still have Forfar in league 2 for more mind losing over Ray. 

Posted (edited)

So that's C Wilson & B Malcolm confirmed away. With only P O'Neil to speak with them, surely he will be leaving and you have to assume we have our goalkeeping sights set a bit higher for this season?

Edited by squeezebox-son

Callum Wilson and Blair Malcolm away

https://dumbartonfootballclub.com/further-squad-movements/

I think this is probably the right move for all parties. Blair Malcolm is a good League Two player; he's got his limitations (ie passing) but his energy, aggression and defensive game mean he'll be an asset for pretty much anyone at that level. I can see him ending up somewhere like Clyde or Stirling Albion and being a useful squad player. Just one who maybe would be a bit exposed at a higher level.

I feel for Callum Wilson. There's a good player in there, but having spent the best part of a year on the sidelines he's someone who needs regular gametime. He's an absolutely lovely lad and maybe a step back to Albion Rovers or the like to get 40 games under his belt next season would help him get back into the SPFL. He's shown he's a capable League Two player, and possibly a League One player, but we're not in the position to give him two or three months to get back up to speed with regular, competitive games.

Good luck to both guys. Malcolm did us a real turn last year, especially earlier in the season, and I'm sure Wilson would've done if he hadn't kept breaking down.

4 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

So that's C Wilson & B Malcolm confirmed away. With only P O'Neil to speak with them, surely he will be leaving and you have to assume we have our goalkeeping sights set a bit higher for this season?

Imo if Paddy wants to sign then we'll keep him. He's a good guy around the place and happy to be on the bench. There's no point wasting budget on a No.2 when we have Brett Long (a bit like Stenny are doing with Curtis Lyle and Darren Jamieson).

If anything happens to Brett again then we can dip straight into the loan market for a Jay Hogarth type signing.

As ruthless as it sounds I’m delighted to be reading that update. I was starting to get paranoid we were heading to League 1 with a load of League 2 squad filler, which we already have too much of IMO.

I’ll be honest, I thought Blair Malcolm was absolutely hopeless. A seriously limited footballer who just seems to aimlessly charge around. I think he started off pretty well but I honestly couldn’t tell you the last time he had a good game. 

22 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Callum Wilson and Blair Malcolm away

https://dumbartonfootballclub.com/further-squad-movements/

I think this is probably the right move for all parties. Blair Malcolm is a good League Two player; he's got his limitations (ie passing) but his energy, aggression and defensive game mean he'll be an asset for pretty much anyone at that level. I can see him ending up somewhere like Clyde or Stirling Albion and being a useful squad player. Just one who maybe would be a bit exposed at a higher level.

I feel for Callum Wilson. There's a good player in there, but having spent the best part of a year on the sidelines he's someone who needs regular gametime. He's an absolutely lovely lad and maybe a step back to Albion Rovers or the like to get 40 games under his belt next season would help him get back into the SPFL. He's shown he's a capable League Two player, and possibly a League One player, but we're not in the position to give him two or three months to get back up to speed with regular, competitive games.

Good luck to both guys. Malcolm did us a real turn last year, especially earlier in the season, and I'm sure Wilson would've done if he hadn't kept breaking down.

I’m sure I read every summer he’s available that Blair Malcolm is a Clyde fan. We’re short on the left hand side just now, so wouldn’t be that surprised. 

1 minute ago, SLClyde said:

I’m sure I read every summer he’s available that Blair Malcolm is a Clyde fan. We’re short on the left hand side just now, so wouldn’t be that surprised. 

Clyde will be shopping for a much higher quality of player than Blair Malcolm, I promise you that. I wouldn’t be surprised if you’ve offered Matty Shiels 6 ton a week.

11 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Clyde will be shopping for a much higher quality of player than Blair Malcolm, I promise you that. I wouldn’t be surprised if you’ve offered Matty Shiels 6 ton a week.

Don’t know about 6 ton a week, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if we were in for him. Assume he’s improved a fair bit since his loan with us in 2020.

35 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

He played in a Clyde fans v fans game a good few years back 

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

As ruthless as it sounds I’m delighted to be reading that update. I was starting to get paranoid we were heading to League 1 with a load of League 2 squad filler, which we already have too much of IMO.

I’ll be honest, I thought Blair Malcolm was absolutely hopeless. A seriously limited footballer who just seems to aimlessly charge around. I think he started off pretty well but I honestly couldn’t tell you the last time he had a good game. 

I wish them both well but I agree it's the correct call.  Blair Malcolm looked good for Rovers last season but it never really worked out for him here, and TBH at times I felt he was trying a bit too hard.  I also think he never fully recovered from that Banks O'Dee cup tie.

Callum Wilson hugely deserves a break and also regular football which he wasn't going to get with us in League One.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Will be sure to come onto this thread if things aren’t going well and everyone wants Faz out again. 

People keep saying this as if we're the only fans in the world whose opinion on the manager changes with the results he's getting. Clyde were desperate to keep McCall but if you don't start well you'll all be shouting for his head in October. It's how football works.

Best of luck to Malcolm and Wilson, neither proved enough last season to come up with us. Wilson was an especially strange signing given we knew he had a serious injury, but good luck to both of them.

Edited by The Moonster

I was out this morning at Bonhill Primary school delivering tennis lessons as part of their health and sports week, that's not news but Finlay Gray in full Dumbarton training kit delivering football sessions on behalf of DFC is a welcome sight.

If he was interested in moving I don't think he'd be doing that for the club.

Mon the Sons