Sons' sorrow

18 hours ago, microdave said:

It won't have been longer than the queues in the Munich fan zone. We waited for two and a half hours to get some beer before we gave up. The atmosphere was superb and the locals were unbelievably welcoming but the bars/queuing system were woefully inadequate. 

As I recall from my fortnight in Germany the locals have no concept of the queue. (Mind you that was over forty years ago.)

Re the recent photo of Boghead from 1959, for those eagle-eyed posters who noticed no pie stall at the Turnberry End here's a couple more pics.  I reckon it was built in the early sixties and it was a well-designed affair with serving hatches on two sides. 

Boghead 11-08-98 #1.jpg

Boghead 11-08-98 #4.jpg

New signing. Seems a bit out of the blue and things, with no teaser or anything 😅

Don't know much about the guy to be honest, but hopefully adds something to the squad.

Screenshot_20240619_121241_X.jpg

Edited by squeezebox-son

Looks to me like Cove broke the golden rule of club media. Breaking another club's news...Normally you'd just say 'To move to another side' or something.

https://coverangersfc.com/2024/06/19/sena-and-tyler-moving-on/

Anyway, that's a signing I'm very into. He'll be our Cian Newbury replacement, and I doubt we could've got anyone with a stronger pedigree. I've no idea how he did at Cove last season. But he was a decent prospect at the Jags and performed pretty well at Alloa a few seasons ago iirc. Always a player I've liked the look of.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

Haven't seen the guy play in a few years but unless his game has fallen off a cliff I'd say that's exactly what we were looking for in the middle of the park. Really pleased with that. Hats off to Farrell again as it's been a swift summer of good recruitment once more. 

3 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

You mean you don't remember Amadou Kassarate?

Now you mention it, yes! Was that the promotion from Division 2 (now L1) season he was with us*? Did he even get any minutes?

*I see it was 2016/2017

Edited by FifeSons

19 bodies in the door and we look fairly well covered in all areas aside from up front. I reckon your starting 11 looks something like the below:

Long

Pigniatello - Durnan - Crighton - Young

Niang - Gray

Orsi - McGuffie - Shiels

Ruth

Subs: O'Neill, Clark, Lynas, Miller, Blair, Wilson, Wallace, Hilton.

The starting 11 looks good but I do have my worries about quality beyond that. Young and Clark will probably battle it out for a starting berth at left back, if Young isn't fully fit at the start of the season that will be Clarks chance to make it his. I do have concerns about centre back, Durnan could break down at any time and I worry that League 1 is pushing Crightons' abilities to the ceiling, but hopefully Durnan stays fit and we aren't a disaster back there. I'm hoping with the defensive cover we have at left back now that Blair can be reborn as a back up option in midfield again but I fear him and Wilson are also pushing their ceiling here. I've put McGuffie centrally but we're probably more likely to see Hilton in there which is a slight concern but maybe with some better options around him he can shine a bit more this season. One thing I've noted is that we seem to have a pretty good mix of youth and experience this season, the average age is currently 25 and even younger guys like Pigniatello and Niang have plenty experience in them. I think we look better prepared to stay in the league this season but it will be a tough old task. Some back up for Ruth that can offer a change in a game and I reckon that's our squad good to go.

15 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Now you mention it, yes! Was that the promotion from Division 2 (now L1) season he was with us*? Did he even get any minutes?

*I see it was 2016/2017

Yeah Amadou was during the Championship. Played a couple of Betfred Cup games and then went out on loan. Sure he scored an overhead kick for Stevie Farrell's Stranraer too?

Sena is a great signing for the Sons.We had him on loan from PT a few years ago and he was really good in the middle of the park.

39 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

19 bodies in the door and we look fairly well covered in all areas aside from up front. I reckon your starting 11 looks something like the below:

Long

Pigniatello - Durnan - Crighton - Young

Niang - Gray

Orsi - McGuffie - Shiels

Ruth

Subs: O'Neill, Clark, Lynas, Miller, Blair, Wilson, Wallace, Hilton.

The starting 11 looks good but I do have my worries about quality beyond that. Young and Clark will probably battle it out for a starting berth at left back, if Young isn't fully fit at the start of the season that will be Clarks chance to make it his. I do have concerns about centre back, Durnan could break down at any time and I worry that League 1 is pushing Crightons' abilities to the ceiling, but hopefully Durnan stays fit and we aren't a disaster back there. I'm hoping with the defensive cover we have at left back now that Blair can be reborn as a back up option in midfield again but I fear him and Wilson are also pushing their ceiling here. I've put McGuffie centrally but we're probably more likely to see Hilton in there which is a slight concern but maybe with some better options around him he can shine a bit more this season. One thing I've noted is that we seem to have a pretty good mix of youth and experience this season, the average age is currently 25 and even younger guys like Pigniatello and Niang have plenty experience in them. I think we look better prepared to stay in the league this season but it will be a tough old task. Some back up for Ruth that can offer a change in a game and I reckon that's our squad good to go.

That's a big worry. Going back a good many years, he only averages 20 league games (if his Wikipedia is correct).

2 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

That's a big worry. Going back a good many years, he only averages 20 league games (if his Wikipedia is correct).

I suspect a lot of our success hinges on how many games he misses this season. I think we've recruited well but my only criticism is we haven't brought in a dedicated centre back cover but I suppose Faz probably sees Lynas and Miller as good options there, I just have my doubts. 

Given we've managed to retain Ruth, Gray and Orsi, whilst bringing in Shiels, McGuffie and Niang on what is presumably a meagre budget, then I think a significant drop off in quality beyond the starting 11 is to be expected. Time will tell whether it's the right call or not but at least, to the best of knowledge, we haven't knowingly signed any crocks yet.

Separately, I would genuinely be interested to hear how Faz sells this football club to potential recruits. It's quite remarkable how much he appears to excel in that area.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Looks to me like Cove broke the golden rule of club media. Breaking another club's news...Normally you'd just say 'To move to another side' or something.

https://coverangersfc.com/2024/06/19/sena-and-tyler-moving-on/

Anyway, that's a signing I'm very into. He'll be our Cian Newbury replacement, and I doubt we could've got anyone with a stronger pedigree. I've no idea how he did at Cove last season. But he was a decent prospect at the Jags and performed pretty well at Alloa a few seasons ago iirc. Always a player I've liked the look of.

He had his moments for us during that spell. At his best he brought loads of energy and dig to the midfield (sometimes too much dig, he got a red card inside a minute against Cove and enraged Celtic fans in a Scottish Cup tie 😁 ). Bit of a headless chicken though. I did think he might come on in that respect but not sure Hartlepool was a good move - too far too soon - and Cove doesn't seem to have been a massive success. Certainly didn't stand out against us last season. Maybe Dumbarton and being closer to home will be the place where he gets his career back on track and starts to really develop and kick on, there is a player in there. 

Think he played CB as a youngster at Partick too so perhaps an option there as well. 

Will be interesting to see the current version of Mark Durnan, something like 9 years after he left us for Dundee United.  For three seasons or so he was a rock in the centre of our defence playing alongside Chris Higgins and they were a great partnership.  I got the feeling that he needed a steadying hand alongside him in the centre of defence though and I think he struggled with the lack of that up at Tannadice - Higgins was undoubtedly a great foil for him.

Don't recall him being particularly injury prone in his time in Dumfries, maybe that's something that has become a factor through time - he's still not old for a centre back at 31 years though.