Sons' sorrow

Darren Miller is my new fave player because I know most of our fans will hate him. Welcome Darren!

Why will people hate him ? We haven't had a barely-controllable bampot with a firm opinion of his worth since the Crilly fellow was in town. Bring him on, complete with his scaffolding poles !

Why will people hate him ? We haven't had a barely-controllable bampot with a firm opinion of his worth since the Crilly fellow was in town. Bring him on, complete with his scaffolding poles !

Because some of our fans prefer the guys who wave at them and pose for selfies etc etc.

I love a total arsehole, I truly hope Miller will be the arsehole we've been missing. He seems like a confident lad and I'd be delighted to see him become our new Paddy Flannery. Hated but rated.

Word on the street is that Agnew & Fleming are wanted by Murray @ St Mirren.

Hope my confidante is wrong. :(

Aggy seems like a pretty busy guy outside of football, he will be on a very healthy wage when you combine that with his Dumbarton salary. Would need to be a very, very good offer to match that.

Surprised Fleming is linked with them. I reckon if offered a deal he'd be offski.

Either way both would only be squad players at St Mirren so it depends what they're after.

I'd expect to see McCallum sign up as well then if Hopkins is signed. He seems to have been playing well ahead of his age group for the last few years and at 18 still has plenty developing to do. Stee looking to push the youth hopefully. Good stuff.

Is Hopkins a midfielder?

Edited by The Moonster

I'd expect to see McCallum sign up as well then if Hopkins is signed. He seems to have been playing well ahead of his age group for the last few years and at 18 still has plenty developing to do. Stee looking to push the youth hopefully. Good stuff.

Is Hopkins a midfielder?

I've seen him play attacking mid, on the wing and upfront.

I hope he can be pivotal in the season ahead,he deserves his chance

If he can keep up his scoring record coming off the bench he'll be an absolute hero. Glad they've both been signed up and hope to see more of them than we did last year. I was sure McCallum was older than 18, feels like he's been here for about 10 years!

I'd be pretty stunned if Fleming signed for a full-time side. No disrespect to him, he's a useful player, but I've always viewed him as a workmanlike footballer punching above his weight at our level.

Whilst I agree with this to some extent, I do think that his dogged style of play masks a technically gifted player. His cross-field switches in particular are usually very precise, and he can beat a man and score from distance. Edited by The Elephant In The Rock

I'd be pretty stunned if Fleming signed for a full-time side. No disrespect to him, he's a useful player, but I've always viewed him as a workmanlike footballer punching above his weight at our level.

I'd pretty much agree with this.

I always felt Murray didn't fancy Fleming all that much whilst he was here nevermind now he's at St Mirren. From what I'm hearing Fleming wasn't exactly Murray's biggest fan either.

Great news about McCallum signing up, he could play a big part this season. On the Aggy/Fleming to Saints rumour, Aggy does an awful lot outside of football. I've no doubt he'd be good enough but I get the impression p/t football suits him, it would have to be a pretty decent full-time offer to get him to give that up.

I agree with Pete on Gaz, I love him his attitude is terrific and he's a strong workmanlike player, but we are probably his level. I wouldn't blame him for wanting a crack at full-time football but I don't see him featuring in Saints first team much.

I'd pretty much agree with this.

I always felt Murray didn't fancy Fleming all that much whilst he was here nevermind now he's at St Mirren. From what I'm hearing Fleming wasn't exactly Murray's biggest fan either.

Exactly this! I never felt that IM rated Fleming that highly. He is a player who always gives 100% of course and on his day is unplayable, but I never felt Murray rated him that highly. Just can't see him wanting to take him to St Mirren.

Same with Aggy to be honest; I rate him as one of our most important players and don't doubt for a minute if he was offered a deal he would take it. I just don't see him being of a high enough standard for what they are looking to achieve this season. He was my poty last year too.

bit unfair, he's strong,especially in the challenge,wins headers,cracking passer of the ball,especially in attack with his cross field passes, Murray always said he was our secret weapon being so unknown, and let's face it, he's supposed to be a striker, how many games has he started up top?, not many,that's for sure

bit unfair, he's strong,especially in the challenge,wins headers,cracking passer of the ball,especially in attack with his cross field passes, Murray always said he was our secret weapon being so unknown, and let's face it, he's supposed to be a striker, how many games has he started up top?, not many,that's for sure

Pretty much every game for the 2nd half of last season he started up front? Unfortunately Garry is pretty hopeless as a striker. Much better deployed in midfield. Some will disagree but he doesn't really cut it as a striker for me.

I really like him as a players before anyone claims I am being harsh etc.

Edited by squeezeboxson

I'm not trying to be harsh, but for all I like the guy, he's never a Championship striker. He's a dogged midfielder who adds steel and bite to our team and can do a passable job on the wing, but he's not the quickest or the most technically gifted (for the most part at least) and he's always looked, to me at least, to be more effective when playing deeper. Put it this way; how many other strikers are ofte deloyed as defensive midfielders? It's relatively common for strikers to play as attacking midfielders or wingers, but it's pretty unusual for a forward to be asked to be the holding player, yet that's where he's been deployed for us many times and looked comfortable and useful there. He's not a natural goalscorer, except at Junior level where he scored 24 in a season playing a mix of centre forward and right wing, but any decent player who drops into the Junior ranks scores plenty and doesn't necessarily play up front when they then go Senior, MacKinnon of Hamilton being another such example. I'm not critiscising him, I'm simply giving my opinion of a player who I like and feel he's already reached a level that's likely as high as he'll go, in my humble.

As for Agnew, he's one of the most talented part-time footballers in Scotland and could easily go full-time, but I think his business interests outside playing are why he's remained part-time consistently despite drawing admiring glances from other clubs.