Sons' sorrow

I wasn't there, Morton, hibs, st.mirren?, I think, he was excellent, and considering how long he was out, excellent against Morton again, I felt we were going to win, we started to really control it, I agree with the previous post, that we need a leader, we're too quiet, especially Darren Barr, who is supposedly our captain, and a nish like centre forward, I probably get slated for it, but we've been rotten since he left, gemmill? No way he'd get bullied off the ball, would certainly win plenty headers against most defender's, and can hit a fair shot, and has the experience now

He got 13 mins against hibs and didn't play against st mirren due to injury... So that means he has played about 120 minutes total game time for us.... Sorry but no way does he deserve an 8 nor can we have a fair opinion on him, he looked good against Morton but then again the whole team looked good, didn't they?

ETA - obviously I mean the challenge cup game and not the weekend.

Edited by Thommo90

Big decisions for Aitken in January - perhaps a chance to right some wrongs.

With both Barr and Saunders' contracts up he may have to rebuild the defence... Perhaps not a bad thing!

If it were me, I'd already be looking at possible replacements in the centre back position - I certainly wouldn't be keeping a 'captain' with an inability to open his mouth on the pitch, an inability to organise his defence and a tendency to seemingly just get bored, stop defending and just give the opposition a goal, or three.

Maybe we already have a dominant, captain-type, centre half in Frazer Wright - but would Aitken have the balls to drop Barr? I think not.

OK, we've all made our differing points on how we got here. What does the club do to change things?

Agree with everyone else who says that it's too early to talk about, or infer, sacking Aitken. Mentalness..

However, so far as I'm aware, Jack Ross still isn't working after Hearts let him go. Maybe the coaching staff could be enhanced?

Big decisions for Aitken in January - perhaps a chance to right some wrongs.

With both Barr and Saunders' contracts up he may have to rebuild the defence... Perhaps not a bad thing!

If it were me, I'd already be looking at possible replacements in the centre back position - I certainly wouldn't be keeping a 'captain' with an inability to open his mouth on the pitch, an inability to organise his defence and a tendency to seemingly just get bored, stop defending and just give the opposition a goal, or three.

Maybe we already have a dominant, captain-type, centre half in Frazer Wright - but would Aitken have the balls to drop Barr? I think not.

I think you need to try and put your personal vandetta against Darren Barr to one side for a wee second and look at the bigger picture.

It's not just Barr who's at fault for costing us goals, I actually thought he was one of our less shite performers on Saturday. Mark Brown has cost more goals than Barr has, but don't let your personal dislike of one player cloud your judgement or anything like that...

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

I actually think the tactics are more of an issue than individual players at the minute. How many times have we seen players with the ball and absolutely no one coming in to support them or give them an option? I lost count on Saturday. The pace with which we move forward is akin to an arthritus ridden tortoise which means we allow the opposition to get back in numbers and easily deal with any sort of attack we try to muster up. There's also too many touches on the ball, no quick passing, which again slows down any attack. The lack of any wide play that involves beating a man and playing a cross into the box that isn't 40 yards from goal is also frustrating.

I'm no expert in coaching or management but these issues seem glaringly obvious to me. I'm sure Aitken will be working hard to address this and I'd like to think the players will respond.

On the Mark Brown front, the problem for me is that he has no competition and nothing to prove. Realistically Jaz isn't going to start unless Brown is injured or suspended, and unlike Rogers last year Brown isn't playing for his future career. That's why he's looked so half hearted in games and isn't willing to get hurt to prevent a goal.

Whilst Barr takes the brunt of stick from BigMac for his perceived lack of communication Brown is also very quiet for a 'keeper. This is clearly playing a part in our (lack of) organisation at the back.

Unfortunately I don't see anything changing in the foreseeable on the 'keeper front.

If Aitken has any bawz he'll start Jamie Ewings in goal on Saturday. Can't see it though.

It could just be that he was wearing a big jumper and coat. But Jamie doesn't look overly fit at the moment.

He does deserve a chance, but I'll be shocked if he gets it. Nope, reword that. I'll be amazed if he gets it!

In an ideal world we'd try and lure David Mitchell to the club on loan from Dundee, but I can't see the budget stretching to three goalkeepers.

It could just be that he was wearing a big jumper and coat. But Jamie doesn't look overly fit at the moment.

He does deserve a chance, but I'll be shocked if he gets it. Nope, reword that. I'll be amazed if he gets it!

In an ideal world we'd try and lure David Mitchell to the club on loan from Dundee, but I can't see the budget stretching to three goalkeepers.

Aye. To be fair, Jamie's looking a tad "stout" ????????

Aye. To be fair, Jamie's looking a tad "stout"

At least he'll cover a decent amount of the goal!

It is ever so slightly worrying that supporters are calling for Jamie Ewings to go In goal, he is junior level at best and do you think he will make any less mistakes than Mark Brown?

Junior level at best is harsh. I reckon he'd be a first choice at a lower mid table League One team.

It is concerning in that I don't think he is a Championship standard No.1. But judging by what I've seen from Brown so far I don't think he is either.

Will he make more mistakes? Who knows, but Brown's made plenty and it's only fair Jamie gets a chance to show us what he can do.

Are we blaming brown for the 2nd then? Not Barr for not blocking the pass or buchy/sparky for not picking up Johnston?

Brown and Barr are generally good, I have a doubt about buchy and Doherty however. Perhaps if tags was fit Saunders would play rcb.

Are we blaming brown for the 2nd then? Not Barr for not blocking the pass or buchy/sparky for not picking up Johnston?

Brown and Barr are generally good, I have a doubt about buchy and Doherty however. Perhaps if tags was fit Saunders would play rcb.

definitely Brown, Barr was beaten for pace, couldn't make the tackle, Brown should have been out narrowing the angles, making sure the ball couldn't be squared, or diving at the attacker's feet.

Worrying that we've continued to sign a junior keeper for several years, several managers and assistant manager's have poor decision making, as does our goalkeeping coach, nah, I'm not having that, but we definitely need a keeper in.

The highlights aren't up yet are they? I'd like to see the first again, because it looked to me like a foul on Brown when the cross came in. It was pretty far away and there was a load of bodies in the way, but I'd be interested to see what happened.

The winner was a total mess, Brown should've been out for it originally, but he and Barr left it - poor communication on both parts Then he should of (as Opti says) narrowed the angle and tried to block it at the feet of the attacker. Standing on his line, bolt upright was pretty much the worst thing he could've done.

Don't quite know why Docherty elected to spectate in the whole thing either.

Another thing I noticed on Saturday was that we left Brophy isolated. He'd win a header, collect his own knock down and then run at the defenders whilst everyone just jogged up to the halfway line and watched. He's a cracking player, but he can't single handedly do all the teams attacking.

Another thing I noticed on Saturday was that we left Brophy isolated. He'd win a header, collect his own knock down and then run at the defenders whilst everyone just jogged up to the halfway line and watched. He's a cracking player, but he can't single handedly do all the teams attacking.

Charlie Gibson used to do that years ago and got abuse from some for not playing well enough.

Sparky stood and watched the whole thing, if he concentrates there we take a point.

Some strange things being brought up in the last couple of pages. There was an assertion that Adamson had built a team for League 1 which stayed up in the Championship (think it was Wilf). My question would be why did he build a team for League 1? He was given a budget for the Championship, knew all summer he'd be in the Championship yet signed just about every player we had in League 1. That coupled with the fact he couldn't organise an orgy in a brothel was the reason he got the bullet and I fail to see any sort of comparison between him and Aitken in the way our squad is playing this year. Can anyone tell me where Alan is managing now? A lot of revisionism going on about ex-managers and players here.

As for the more relevant here and now, I don't think we have a bad team or squad. I actually think we have the best collection of individuals that we've had for a number of years. The problem for me is finding a system that helps them play like a team. Scott Brown, Gallagher, Routledge & Lindsay and are all similar players and I don't think you can play two of them in the centre of a 4 man midfield like we did on Saturday. Preferably, I'd like to see two of them playing in the holding role with Kevin Cawley playing in front of them. Of course, that leaves a space open on the right of midfield but I'd rather Fleming was out there putting a shift in and allow Cawley to go and create things for us. There's no doubt Brophy will get goals but we need to get him service. Unfortunately all of the above is Stee's problem and he needs to make changes soon. It's no use having excellent individuals if you can't get them to carry out instructions. 12 games with a brand new team though, anyone expecting a smooth ride was crazy.

There was another comment saying that our next two games is guaranteed zero points. Whilst that may turn out to be true, Queens appear to be on just as bad a run as us at the minute and I doubt they'll be full of confidence next week. A cheeky win at Palmerston could be just what the doctor ordered. But I suppose us c***s aren't happy unless we're full of gloom.

The situation is not totally without hope, and one pleasing aspect of Saturday was seeing young Lindsay return to action, and looking for the ball and generally finding a team-mate with it, something we have failed to do in midfield recently.

Aitken has some calls to make now; Darren Barr is suffering from Ambrose Syndrome whilst Gibson is simply not producing anything in the attacking third of the pitch. Sparky is struggling and Garry looked jaded, whilst Mark Brown has not convinced.

So, on the assumption that Saunders injury is not as bad as feared, how about him with Bucky, Wright and Watters across the back in front of Ewings ? Yes, Wright is slow but he reads the game well and his natural left-sided game complements Buchanan position-wise.

In midfield I'd opt for Brown, Routledge, Lindsay and Cawley - Kilpatrick still has his admirers, but I've ceased to be one, whilst Gallagher may be better with a spell as an impact sub. Up front I'd pair Brophy with Ross, a guy who has shown some potential, albeit in flashes, or even try Gal in there.

It would carry an element of risk certainly, but hoping things turn around with basically the same personnel is now failing us by the week.

I ve looked again at the Falkirk goals; 1st is Buchanan moving upfield for a header he doesn't win, 2nd browns kick out, 3rd is the offside appeal and I think its Garry not trying a block, 4th Bucky out of place and gal ball watching with sparky awol, 5th Saunders gets the line wrong and no one follows the run.

Its not just brown and Barr is my point.

The situation is not totally without hope, and one pleasing aspect of Saturday was seeing young Lindsay return to action, and looking for the ball and generally finding a team-mate with it, something we have failed to do in midfield recently.

Aitken has some calls to make now; Darren Barr is suffering from Ambrose Syndrome whilst Gibson is simply not producing anything in the attacking third of the pitch. Sparky is struggling and Garry looked jaded, whilst Mark Brown has not convinced.

So, on the assumption that Saunders injury is not as bad as feared, how about him with Bucky, Wright and Watters across the back in front of Ewings ? Yes, Wright is slow but he reads the game well and his natural left-sided game complements Buchanan position-wise.

In midfield I'd opt for Brown, Routledge, Lindsay and Cawley - Kilpatrick still has his admirers, but I've ceased to be one, whilst Gallagher may be better with a spell as an impact sub. Up front I'd pair Brophy with Ross, a guy who has shown some potential, albeit in flashes, or even try Gal in there.

It would carry an element of risk certainly, but hoping things turn around with basically the same personnel is now failing us by the week.

I don't see where you get glimpses of potential from Ross. Has he even once got the ball under control and took a couple touches on it in any game? That's a serious question btw.

Calling for sacking the manager is just ludicrous after a third of the season. While results certainly aren't going our way at the moment it's not as if we are a million miles behind other teams. We've played twelve games in the league and other than the home defeats to QOS and Falkirk and the away defeat to Hibs any one of the other nine could have gone either way (and that includes the three that we won). While it is obviously concerning that we are losing the players we have are certainly capable enough compared with other teams so lets not be hitting panic buttons at this stage.