Sons' sorrow

Here's a list of average attendances over recent years.

Looks like we've lost support when you look at the second division average in 2003-04 when there weren't nearly so many away fans.

fireshot-screen-capture-468-dumbarton-f_

It kind of ties in with the economic recession aswell. Football has gradually become more expensive with wages not rising in line.

Here's a list of average attendances over recent years.

Looks like we've lost support when you look at the second division average in 2003-04 when there weren't nearly so many away fans.

fireshot-screen-capture-468-dumbarton-f_

Looks like that dip into the third division really hurt, we found much the same at raith when we dropped down into division 2, although our crowds held up reaonably well the first season down there - but tailed off afterwards, and those fans didn't all come back when we went back up. It's easy to break the habit of going regularly, and hard to sustain it, I guess.

It kind of ties in with the economic recession aswell. Football has gradually become more expensive with wages not rising in line.

Aye, that and our surge up the leagues over the last decade has lead to a much greater increases in walk-up prices. I'd be curious to see on average what proportion of our home support is non-season ticket holders. Minimal I'd expect.

I would imagine the attendances will also be affected by who else is in the league so not as simple as saying we've lost bucket loads of fans

For example in the lower leagues when we've played Peterhead or Elgin on a wet winter mid week that will dramatically affect crowds. Likewise this season we've had a bunch of teams who bring good away supports such as Morton, Falkirk, Hibs and rangers

Edited by aftershocker

I would imagine the attendances will also be affected by who else is in the league so not as simple as saying we've lost bucket loads of fans

For example in the lower leagues when we've played Peterhead or Elgin on a wet winter mid week that will dramatically affect crowds. Likewise this season we've had a bunch of teams who bring good away supports such as Morton, Falkirk, Hibs and rangers

Eh. I think I made that point when I made my point. We should be doing very much better, with bigger travelling supports now, than we did then. It isn't happening.

How has Scott Brown done for you guys? Loan is up at the beginning of January I think and we have been caught a bit short in midfield recently, with Lappin out reasonably long term and Millar having a few niggles. Impressed? Has he improved at all in his 15 or so matches he's managed?

How has Scott Brown done for you guys? Loan is up at the beginning of January I think and we have been caught a bit short in midfield recently, with Lappin out reasonably long term and Millar having a few niggles. Impressed? Has he improved at all in his 15 or so matches he's managed?

I quite like Brown but I'm not entirely sure what he brings to the team. He has a decent range of passing and has decent tackling ability but he certainly isn't as creative as I expected nor could he be described as a 'midfield enforcer'.

He does the simple stuff fairly well but he doesn't really attempt anything other than the basics. He has had to fill in at right back on a couple of occassions and done well which deserves credit.

I think if he's to make a fist of it at St Johnstone he will need to add a lot more to his game. We've done a lot better with Brown out of the starting 11 and Jamie Lindsay in his place so with that in mind I wouldn't be overly concerned to see his loan not being extended.

Aye, I'm not sure what the point of Brown is. He can pass a ball okay and tackle okay but he doesn't go box to box or patrol the midfield in a defensive sense and he's not very creative. We also saw absolutely none of his long range efforts that we were promised. He's quite versatile I suppose, if unspectacular.

Seen as Brown hasn't really worked out I think it's only fair you compensate us by sending Kano back for 3 months.

Brown is a decent enough player but not really suited to how I think we play our best football.

Dumbarton are at our best when we play fast, direct football. That isnt long ball stuff, but it is playing direct and with pace. If Brown can sit in the midfield then he can do a decent job but he doesnt do the closing down that Routledge or Lindsay will do. He likely has a better range of passing, but if the game is played at tempo then he might not get the time he needs to make those passes.

Good enough player but possibly not the right fit for Dumbarton. Our current midfield duo of Lindsay and Routledge have done very well lately and I'd be keen for that to continue. I'd like to see more consistency from our wide men, but Brown doesnt have the pace to get by men and would be wasted wide right.

Pretty much what I expected to hear regarding Brown to be honest. He's got some good attributes about him, but he doesn't quite fit into one category and he isn't good enough a player to create a role just for him. He's a decent passer, but not particularly creative. His tackling isn't too bad, but he isn't a particularly great water carrier either because he doesn't have the pace to make up for some pretty monumental lapses in concentration. He doesn't get beyond the striker and, other than the odd zing from distance, doesn't look like he'll score many goals.

Think he'll be a 'close but no cigar' player long term to be honest. Certainly works hard enough, but ultimately will fall short of making it.

Have seen him in Sons top before... Don't want to again.

Was a pre-season at Stirling Uni against Brechin - he was terrible, not only completely unfit, he seemed to have lost any ability - couldn't make simple passes and his attempt at hitting in a corner was laughable. Looked like someone's, occasional fives-playing, mate had turned up for a kick about.