Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, marco44 said:

Tribunal will decide what you owe

15 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There will be no tribunal if he has signed as an amateur. Compensation only applies on the signing of a professional.

Poor Marco :(

Can't tell if he's being sarcastic or not, but it could make sense. Edit: And they've deleted it...hmm....

Basically the first guy asked if we'd arranged a job outside of football for Todd, and the agent gave that response. Would it be 'above board' to get him coaching one of our youth teams and pay him for that? Just out of interest.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

Bad crack really, Agents are ruining the game. When Carlisle were ditching the lad, Annan gave him the chance to go on and prove himself. I always thought he go on to better things but shocking that a club 2 leagues higher can't stump up a bit of compo

I don't feel great about this situation.

Annan were fantastic hosts to us when we won the Third Division Championship there.

I was the chairman of Gordon Lennon's Benefit fund which raised in excess of £23,000 for Gordon's family. The Annan players had a pre-season tournament which they won. They pooled and donated their bonus money which amounted to £500. In an extremely generous gesture Henry McClelland and his board at Annan matched the players efforts and sent a cheque for £1,000.

They are a good and generous club and I sincerely hope that everything is above board in relation to Josh Todd.

Edited by Howlin' Wilf

8 minutes ago, athletic 1 said:

Bad crack really, Agents are ruining the game. When Carlisle were ditching the lad, Annan gave him the chance to go on and prove himself. I always thought he go on to better things but shocking that a club 2 leagues higher can't stump up a bit of compo

Yeah, we may be 2 league higher and classed as a championship side. But at the end of the day, we got here through very astute team management and not through buying players or paying compensation for players. We are a small team, much closer in size to Annan than pretty much any other team in our own league.

It isn't ideal, but it seems to me that Todd and his Agent have found this is the only way he can further his career as no one else will pay the fee for him to join. Why force the lad to stay and play for a team he clearly doesn't want to at a level he also doesn't want to.

I'm not wanting to comment much until I know the full story - which judging by tweets will be revealed soon - but going by the mutterings I heard on the terracing yesterday it seemed that a certain Mr Chapman valued the player way above what he was worth, and effectively thought he could hold him to ransom at the club. That's pretty poor from Chappie, but I doubt it'll come as a surprise to many in our support. 

The truth will come out shortly, I saw the guy from the Reporter asking Todd's agent for the full story on Twitter and he was more than happy to tell him, so we'll find out then. The fact they were more than happen to advertise the fact that the Scotsman didn't have the full story - and the fact they specifically thanked DFC in their tweet - would hint to me that he/they are not pleased with how Annan/Chapman dealt with the situation.

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

He's signed as an amateur. There's nae tribunal to be had.

Nice to see you're taking it well.

That was my point too.

If he's arrived as an Amateur, I don't know why we'd need to pay anything, tightfisted or not.

33 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

I don't feel great about this situation.

Annan were fantastic hosts to us when we won the Third Division Championship there.

I was the chairman of Gordon Lennon's Benefit fund which raised in excess of £23,000 for Gordon's family. The Annan players had a pre-season tournament which they won. They pooled and donated their bonus money which amounted to £500. In an extremely generous gesture Henry McClelland and his board at Annan matched the players efforts and sent a cheque for £1,000.

They are a good and generous club and I sincerely hope that everything is above board in relation to Josh Todd.

I agree with most of what you're saying, Wilf.

They gave us a fantastic welcome that memorable day.

But I suspect that this is nothing more than sour grapes from one or two fans, and as S08 says, Chapman overvaluing him.

7 minutes ago, ThirdrockfromtheSon said:

That was my point too.

If he's arrived as an Amateur, I don't know why we'd need to pay anything, tightfisted or not.

Yep. It isn't tightfisted though. It is simply the rules. If we wanted to or were happy to pay compensation we would sign him on a professional contract and not the amateur one.

I just get the feeling it was Todd and his agent who came up with this 'solution' and not Dumbarton.

3 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Can't tell if he's being sarcastic or not, but it could make sense. Edit: And they've deleted it...hmm....

Basically the first guy asked if we'd arranged a job outside of football for Todd, and the agent gave that response. Would it be 'above board' to get him coaching one of our youth teams and pay him for that? Just out of interest.

Cant see the authorities tolerating that if it were within the club If you go far enough back its what Livi were done for when they signed Hassan Kachloul as an amateur but gave him a paid job as a "commercial manager".

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I agree with most of what you're saying, Wilf.

They gave us a fantastic welcome that memorable day.

But I suspect that this is nothing more than sour grapes from one or two fans, and as S08 says, Chapman overvaluing him.

I was under the impression that a player's value wasn't some arbitrary sum but rather was based on his earnings.