NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

31-1 in the voting, apparently.
Miami the only team to oppose, which is random as f**k. I'd have thought Rams or Chargers, for logistical reasons, but whatever.

Excellent news for the franchise, anyway. Not so much for the Bay Area fans, but unfortunately their city is just too poor to offer an alternative.

I see the mayor offered to build the new stadium but Goodell called it "too late"

Got to feel sorry for the Oakland fans. That's twice they've had their team move.

18 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I see the mayor offered to build the new stadium but Goodell called it "too late"

Got to feel sorry for the Oakland fans. That's twice they've had their team move.

That was just a publicity stunt from an under-pressure Mayor. She knew it was too late, and chucked out a lazy 'proposal' to try and get some extra support. Was never a realistic consideration.

1 minute ago, thekorean said:

National Franchise League.

Imagine SFA MK Don'ed teams every season,

Sadly, they can get away with this too. I will still watch my Jets lose.

British people say dumb stuff like this all the time. Most folks over there dont care. People losing a team might, or they might just keep supporting that team. Its not like our football where its a tradition to go and watch your local team on a saturday afternoon, its too expensive for the public to do that even a couple of times a season. The NFL is something the majority of people will only ever watch on TV.

A closer comparison is college, or in some towns, highschool football, in which case that situation almost never happens.

As long as the colours, name, uniform and logos stay the same I'm ok with it although I don't know if it will be a success or not.

Must be awful for Oakland though, as far as I know it's not got much going for it, losing a global brand of this size must really suck the life out of the place.

I'm glad the Raiders are out of Oakland soon. Saves me looking at the horrific mess of a field for half the season. An utter shambles that is finally being put to rest.

EDIT: Here's some pictures.

Raiders-white-50-09-22-15.png

oakland-oco-coliseum.jpg

Edited by GingerSaint

It's not just the horrible baseball diamond, everything about the stadium is a complete mess, apparently. A top tier that had to be closed due to safety issues and toilets that flooded numerous times last season, including into the players' locker-room. It's an absolute dive.

But it absolutely is shite for Oakland fans. They're losing the Warriors to San Francisco and the Raiders to Las Vegas, possibly in the same year. A team they stuck with through bad years that have just won an NBA championship, and another team they stuck with through one of the worst decades an NFL team has ever experienced that just finally became good again. Some reward for their loyalty. Although I guess at least the Warriors are still just a few miles away.

2 hours ago, Stewbo said:

British people say dumb stuff like this all the time. Most folks over there dont care. People losing a team might, or they might just keep supporting that team. Its not like our football where its a tradition to go and watch your local team on a saturday afternoon, its too expensive for the public to do that even a couple of times a season. The NFL is something the majority of people will only ever watch on TV.

A closer comparison is college, or in some towns, highschool football, in which case that situation almost never happens.

Not British. Actually American living in good old USA. 

We are used to it but we still hate it.

53 minutes ago, thekorean said:

Not British. Actually American living in good old USA. 

We are used to it but we still hate it.

Fair enough, the point stands though. The scale of the NFL is nowhere near comparible to football in the UK. 32 teams spread across a country that size can hardly be compared to the Scottish and English leagues where every town has a local team. The vast majority of people in the States dont have a 'local' NFL team, so its not quite the same as moving a team here to another city. 

1 hour ago, Swarley said:

When you see how much money and perks Las Vegas were throwing at the Raiders it's a complete no brainer.

Yet they don't have enough money to improve public schools.

I don't know how good or horrible their school systems are, but I gurantee they can use every penny they can get,