Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Follow the conversation. Swampy referenced the unionist narrative and rhetoric that would drive down turnout. I assumed he was talking about the mainstream unionist campaign or people that actually had the ability to influence public opinion in any significant way. He wasn't. He was talking about 4 posters on P&B and anonymous people who post under newspaper articles neither of which I believe have any ability to impact turnout. You may disagree

Your emotional investment in this is causing you to quite literally see things that aren't there. You did this with the 70% turnout thing as well. You have over the last few days cast yourself as some kind of P&B hero, and it's causing you to dive in two-footed with ridiculous contentions that don't match what anyone's actually said. You need to slow down and count to 10 before you post.

I said 'the unionists' had adopted 'a narrative'. You have now on more than one occasion conflated that - possibly deliberately, probably not - with a top-down, singular goal... even though I explicitly said in my very first post that the exact opposite was the case.

Now you're talking about how this is going to 'influence public opinion'. Once again, I said very, very early on in this conversation that the official unionist campaign - one opinion-former among many, but one definitely in the top 50% of importance - are doing the exact opposite. When did I say this was being done in an attempt, much less a successful one, to 'influence public opinion'? What I said was that it is a fairly common Unionist view that this is a sideshow and the result is already known.

I'm not talking, was never talking, never even came close to talking about this being some kind of public relations campaign. I'm talking about it being an opinion that people already hold that will impact their decision to go to the polls next September. Literally everything else you have quite simply made up.

Seriously. Go back and read what I actually wrote. Find the part about 'influencing public opinion'. You can't find it because it doesn't exist.

You are no doubt already replying as you read this sentence. Stop. Read my posts. Count to 10. Then reply.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too be honest Swampy I've lost the will to live over that debate. People can read it and judge whatever way they want.

Thanks for the heartfelt patronising advice on posting though. Much appreciated.

Yes, you said more or less the same thing the last time your bullshit got called.

It saddens me that so many lap up and believe these 'Project Fear' type opinions.

Somebody on my facebook said he wasn't voting yes because "Salmond is a rip roaring c**t". No other reasons given.

That is depressing and shows that people don't actually understand what they're voting for. "I just cannae vote for that wee c**t Salmond, fat wee p***k". You tell them they are not voting for Salmond and even if they were looking at it that way - not voting for Salmond would mean a vote for Cameron. That really confuses them and I'm sure a few heads have exploded.

Given the Conservative/Unionist party in the UK started inciting Ulster loyalists to form their own paramilitary organisations to oppose the very sensible measure of Irish Home Rule from 1910, I'm afraid your analysis is wrong and unionists carry the can.

The discussion was about lessons from Northern Ireland. 1910 was 12 years before partition so irrelevant

The discussion was about lessons from Northern Ireland. 1910 was 12 years before partition so irrelevant

Oh dear. Care to explain how the Tories' illicit funding of paramilitaries in Ulster has had absolutely no bearing upon the events during and after petition? Did 'Northern Ireland' drop out of the sky in 1922 as the world's most unfortunate afterbirth?

I'm afraid your attempt to shift the goalposts isn't going to work at all well here.

Oh dear. Care to explain how the Tories' illicit funding of paramilitaries in Ulster has had absolutely no bearing upon the events during and after petition? Did 'Northern Ireland' drop out of the sky in 1922 as the world's most unfortunate afterbirth?

I'm afraid your attempt to shift the goalposts isn't going to work at all well here.

Ulster is not Northern Ireland. You joined a discussion on whether unionists in Northern Ireland were more violent than nationalists. It was you who 'shifted the goalposts' to pre-partition. All completely irrelevant as Enrico clarified he was talking about unionists rioting in 2013 not what happened in the Troubles or back 100 years to 12 years before Northern Ireland even existed as an entity.

Another Nationalist comfort blanket, "people don't know what they are voting for" and "people are stupid".

Keep telling yourselves that, guys, if it lessens the pain of rejection.

I was pointing out that the people saying they can't vote for Salmond because he's a c**t so will be voting No clearly don't know what they are voting for. Are you denying that?

Another Nationalist comfort blanket, "people don't know what they are voting for" and "people are stupid".

Keep telling yourselves that, guys, if it lessens the pain of rejection.

Behave yourself, people who vote No because, and we've all heard it: 'Salmond is a c**t' is patently ridiculous reasoning, same as those who vote Labour 'cos 'mah dads, dads dad voted Labour'..... it's that kind of institutionalised bullshit that needs to be punched through, or are you simply happy with any No voter, even if it is out of ignorant bile against one man?

Archived