Elite: Dangerous

The Taxman

I've been playing the beta since it launched and i'm absolutely hooked (and I pretty much gave up gaming years ago).

Yes, it's buggy and prone to crashes etc but it is a beta after all.

Edited by Todders

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh? It's been in beta stage for ages. Currently version 2.06 with beta 3 due at the end of the month.

I assumed like most betas there would be an NDA barring you from talking about it and was kinda hoping that your post about the beta meant that it was about to be released.

Is it still only select missions which are available or are they now opening out the universe?

I assumed like most betas there would be an NDA barring you from talking about it and was kinda hoping that your post about the beta meant that it was about to be released.

Is it still only select missions which are available or are they now opening out the universe?

It's a public beta and it's being openly talked about on Frontier Developments own forums. There's no NDA.

There's even countless videos of gampeplay on Youtube.

Edited by Todders

So assuming I'm an ignorant cockmunch, how's it looking right now?

Pretty damn good for a beta I have to say. It is leaps and bounds ahead of where Star Citizen is right now (which comes across as a giant cash extracting machine to me).

Like I said, still buggy as hell and not all features have been implemented but it is very playable and if you're a fan of the original or Frontier you'll love it. There's a massive update out next week (beta 3) so I suspect we'll see a bit more feature rich and polished experience.

Backed this on the kickstarter but can't help feeling they are starting to rip the arse right out of it, beta 1,2,3, alpha 1,2,3 i know stuff need tested but FFS.

Looking forward to it though :thumsup2

I've not problem with any of that. All other large production games go through similar processes, it's just that it's not visible to the public.

It's a massively complex game so needs a horrendous amount of testing and tweaking to get the balance right. It's also pretty revolutionary in the way it is handling the multiplayer code to avoid reliance on big server farms so that we don't need to play a monthly subscription or suffer game-breaking pay-to-win addons to keep the whole thing generating revenue to survive.

Pretty damn good for a beta I have to say. It is leaps and bounds ahead of where Star Citizen is right now (which comes across as a giant cash extracting machine to me).

Like I said, still buggy as hell and not all features have been implemented but it is very playable and if you're a fan of the original or Frontier you'll love it. There's a massive update out next week (beta 3) so I suspect we'll see a bit more feature rich and polished experience.

Sounds like I'll have to cave and break my rule about never paying for a beta.

Although I would be worried about rollbacks when it eventually goes live.

Will you have to start again or will you be allowed to keep everything you earned in beta?

I caved, it's cool as.

I didn't really like the combat in fronteir due to the relatavistic thing making it less fun.

This is clearly elite style combat.

So far I've done the majority of turorials and a couple of buletin board missions.

The only reason I'm here is 'cos I just had my first crash, but it's a beta so I can expect that.

So far my impresions are that the game is what it needs to be however (and this is only based on the one single crash) it clearly isn't stable enough yet.

For anyone who's played a lot more, any thargoids or tribbles?

The version of elite I played most was the C=64 one and I was one of the idiots who discovered the tribbles the hard way. I also have a cool memory of playing at my mates who had the slightly better version on the atari ST and he wanted to quit and reload as soon as the hyperspace went wrong and I ended up in thargoid space armed only with pulse lasers. We both learned from that one. I learned the St cversion was more difficult, he learned you really could take down an enemy fleet with mince weapons.

Played a lot more now but I'm getting a bit annoyed that it's too safe.

It seems I'vew been encoraged into buying a hauler and doing courier missions with the odd bit of trade and some exploration as I'm slowly moving towards Sol. There seems to be very little combat, even in anarchy systems and pretty much all the comabt missions seem to involve becomng a terrorist or pirate rather than a bounty hunter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

playin since launch day and really enjoying it. I usually just stick on an Andrew weatherall mix and dot about mamaking some cash. Made enough to buy a cobra, so will have a shot at that next week, maybe start exploring a bit, or try trading. Prefer bounty hunting at the moment.