Thatcher deid

the worst thing about that is whoever set up the facebook page has spelled it deed instead of deid. Edited by invergowrie arab

Because she's a human being?

Since when did the simple act of being a human being warrant respect?

People are generally judged by their actions, and this is how it should be. She was consistently dismissive of others, vicious in the pursuit of her ideology, largely regardless of the consequences for the most vulnerable, and refused to accept her own limitiations. Respect has to earned, and Thatcher had no interest in earning the respect of those who, in her eyes, were merely an irritation and obstacles, as she sought to further her crusade.

Tramp the dirt down, indeed.

Death isn't personal suffering champ. People are happy that her direct malevolent influence has once and for all been removed from society. I suggest you deal with that in a less embarrassing manner than you have so far.

Death is personal suffering. It's personal suffering for the individual, who loses their life. It's personal suffering for those close to them: who grieve.

To celebrate her death is perverse. If it's her influence people hate, then it lives on. If it's her direct influence people hate, that ended long before she died. When you celebrate her dying what you celebrate is reduced to the gloating at the death of an old woman. Which is really more than just a little bit pathetic.

I'm not glorifying in her death. But it did perk my day up a bit. She did an awful lot wrong in her life, and she was never supported by my country. If anything, she did her very best to hold Scotland back in every possible way, and damn well near killed us. There is a reason the Tories were killed off in Scotland under her watch. So her death leaves the world no poorer. If anything, her death will help Scotland move on, and the untold misery she suffered on the world means that I feel no need to shed a tear. Apparently my wee sister made my dad a "Happy Margaret Thatcher's Dead Day" card. :lol:

We are never any better off for the fact of the death of an individual. The death of a human being might have instrumental utility (e.g. in wartime) but in those circumstances it is the fact they no longer cause harm and not the fact that they are dead that is good. Depending on how you perceive her source of harm to society, it either stopped the day she ceased to be active in politics or it hasn't finished yet. Her death has no effect on her legacy, political or otherwise. What people are celebrating is the death of an old woman, and it's really a bit pathetic.

Weren't you previously arguing that fetuses weren't human beings until they are born? At what point does a corpse stop being a human?

Nope. I argued that foetuses did not have an equal moral weight to mothers until they were born. At the point of death, people are every bit as human as anyone who has lived. They have a history of independent existence through which not only there was the capacity to feel pain and pleasure, but to interact with others and to communicate and to have participated in the common experience of life and of society.

Since when did the simple act of being a human being warrant respect?

People are generally judged by their actions, and this is how it should be. She was consistently dismissive of others, vicious in the pursuit of her ideology, largely regardless of the consequences for the most vulnerable, and refused to accept her own limitiations. Respect has to earned, and Thatcher had no interest in earning the respect of those who, in her eyes, were merely an irritation and obstacles, as she sought to further her crusade.

Tramp the dirt down, indeed.

The simple act of being human warrants respect. That's why we have human rights. That's why we have an absolute prohibition on torture, even for the most evil of people. That's why the death penalty is wrong.

There is a clear difference between respect in a political context and respect as a person. To glorify the death of someone is to go well beyond the former and firmly into the latter. Respect for those who have just died is something that should be universal; not something that has to be earned. We wouldn't let people piss on the corpse of others and we shouldn't do it metaphorically either.

Unlucky, the word "being" destroys your point.

Dead people still are. A cat doesn't cease to be a cat simply because it dies.

My view will be biased because I wasn't even born by the time she left office but I certainly had no feelings of hatred towards Thatcher. I respect some of the policies she pursued and don't agree with other things she did, however I ultimately have more respect for her than hatred.

Put me in the "Facepalming at those jumping on the Thatcher-bashing badwagon" camp.

Death is personal suffering. It's personal suffering for the individual, who loses their life.

There is no evidence that this constitutes 'suffering' to the individual. Factually inaccurate as usual.

The simple act of being human warrants respect. That's why we have human rights.

Factually incorrect.

Are you aware of Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights? I'm sure you are, but for the benefit of those who aren't:

Article 1.
  • All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

I suspect Thatcher logged off right there.

There is no evidence that this constitutes 'suffering' to the individual. Factually inaccurate as usual.

To lose your ability to participate in society, through death, is to suffer.

Factually incorrect.

Are you aware of Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights? I'm sure you are, but for the benefit of those who aren't:

Article 1.

• All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
I suspect Thatcher logged off right there.

The operative word being should. Thatcher was a human being. Whether or not she acted in conscience and acted towards others in a spirit of brotherhood is really neither here nor there. Human rights don't depend on mutuality. We are obliged not to torture torturers.