Reasons to be Cheerful

On 12/10/2019 at 13:52, Trackdaybob said:

Qualified 6th on grid at East Fortune 😁

Always wanted to get into racing and still hope I will once financially secure. What class do you race? What's your annual budget? Is it still just EF and Knockhill up there? EF is a great wee place to watch, so unassuming and able to just walk around anywhere. Had a great day out there a few years ago. How did the race go?

I’ve spent the last 4 days drinking quite heavily, as part of my mates extravagant wedding celebrations. Other than a bit dodgy on Saturday morning, Ive been feeling surprisingly fresh and think I’ve escaped the worst of it without any sort of hangover.

13 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

I’ve spent the last 4 days drinking quite heavily, as part of my mates extravagant wedding celebrations. Other than a bit dodgy on Saturday morning, Ive been feeling surprisingly fresh and think I’ve escaped the worst of it without any sort of hangover.

^^^

Monkman trying to outrun The Fear, tomorrow. 

34 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

I always find 2 days (or plus) I never get a 'hangover' just tired. Some of my worst hangovers come after about 6hrs of drinking. Very confusing. 

17 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

What class do you race?

I've raced a few classes over the years. Currently racing a CB500.

Is it still just EF and Knockhill up there?

Yes, in Scotland there's only two circuits these days.

What's your annual budget?

It has varied over the years. I have spent a small fortune. People spend what they can. It's not a cheap sport but you'd be surprised what can be achieved on a relatively small budget. 

£100 will get you club membership and your licence. You renew that every year. 

Average entry fee is around £250 for a weekend meeting. Usually that's a qualifying session and four races. It's not great value tracktime. If you want tracktime, do a trackday. 

The rest depends on what bike/class you run in and what you can afford. I used to run a R1 then a Triumph 675 and was throwing a set of tyres (£300) a meeting at them. That coupled with entries and all the rest made for a few expensive weekends. 

Then there's fuel, maintenance, spares, crash repairs and plenty other stuff to think about. It soon piles up. 

Always wanted to get into racing

Just go do it. It's the best thing I've ever done. Even if you only do it once (you won't, you'll want more) it's a hell of a box to tick. 

How did the race go?

Well I qualified 6th which I was happy with. I was 8th and 6th on Saturday.

Then 8th and 5th on Sunday. The first race was frustrating. I'd got a bad start and was making my way back up the field and I'd just got into 7th and was making my way up to 6th and was confident I could get him but the race was red flagged for a bad crash and they go back to the last fully completed lap so 8th it was.

Overall, a great weekend, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Think I finished 4th in the NEMCRC 500 championship. It didn't rain either. Which was nice. 

One more to do. Off to Oulton Park this weekend for the Thundersport GB500 championship. It's the last round. I'm currently 7th in the 500 'Seniors' championship with a change of nicking 6th so I'm going for it.  

Few from the weekend.

SPUf483.jpg

vcm3i9X.jpg

dSsHQTS.jpg

KLJQQ8j.jpg

6 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

I've raced a few classes over the years. Currently racing a CB500.

Yes, in Scotland there's only two circuits these days.

It has varied over the years. I have spent a small fortune. People spend what they can. It's not a cheap sport but you'd be surprised what can be achieved on a relatively small budget. 

£100 will get you club membership and your licence. You renew that every year. 

Average entry fee is around £250 for a weekend meeting. Usually that's a qualifying session and four races. It's not great value tracktime. If you want tracktime, do a trackday. 

The rest depends on what bike/class you run in and what you can afford. I used to run a R1 then a Triumph 675 and was throwing a set of tyres (£300) a meeting at them. That coupled with entries and all the rest made for a few expensive weekends. 

Then there's fuel, maintenance, spares, crash repairs and plenty other stuff to think about. It soon piles up. 

Just go do it. It's the best thing I've ever done. Even if you only do it once (you won't, you'll want more) it's a hell of a box to tick. 

Well I qualified 6th which I was happy with. I was 8th and 6th on Saturday.

Then 8th and 5th on Sunday. The first race was frustrating. I'd got a bad start and was making my way back up the field and I'd just got into 7th and was making my way up to 6th and was confident I could get him but the race was red flagged for a bad crash and they go back to the last fully completed lap so 8th it was.

Overall, a great weekend, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Think I finished 4th in the NEMCRC 500 championship. It didn't rain either. Which was nice. 

One more to do. Off to Oulton Park this weekend for the Thundersport GB500 championship. It's the last round. I'm currently 7th in the 500 'Seniors' championship with a change of nicking 6th so I'm going for it.  

Few from the weekend.

Thanks for the detailed response. How often do you get new tyres for the CB500 then, and how much are the extras (fuel, maintenance etc) per meeting?

About just going for it, I did try racing a few years a go, there was a wee hill climb in Kendal that John McGuiness was supposed to be racing at and they do one-day amateur licenses for £50 or something. I came second last, but absolutely loved it. Right now though I can only put away about 800 a month. I am choosing to spend that on exams. If I get through these exams then I could be putting away triple that or maybe more, so that's when I'd look to go racing.

It's a ridiculously expensive sport once you move up the ranks. A field of mine won his national carting championship and could have raced in Formula 3. Unfortunately the minimum annual budget was €3m, not including travel, spares, practice sessions, etc. for a car which would finish last every race.

Now he drives a Fiat Punto but gets asked to partner someone for an endurance race whenever some incredibly wealthy person wants to have a chance of winning something.

21 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

How often do you get new tyres for the CB500 then, and how much are the extras (fuel, maintenance etc) per meeting?

I have to use a control tyre for the Thundersport series. We get them at £179 a set from the series sponsor. Even my tame tyre guy couldn't get near that price. They last a good while, easily three meetings. The wets are £179 too. Depends how many meetings it rains at for them. They last pretty good ad long as it stays wet.

An oil change and filter every other meeting (about £40). And a couple sets brake pads through the season (£15 each). 

For fuel, 20 liters super for the bike and 20 liters for the generator usually does the trick. 

Box of spares is handy. Handlebars, levers, footrests, etc. 

If you're starting from scratch, there's hell of an outlay. Stands, tyre warmers, tools, etc. If you're already into it and kitted out, it's easy to dip your toe in.  

A good idea is to pop to a meeting, chat to the guys in the paddock and the staff in the race office. They'll help get you pointed in the right direction. 

Idk people moved to violence because something delays them getting to work is abjectly tragic
If it was a one off I would agree. But haven't these militants been causing havoc for a while now?

I don't agree with folk getting violent but good on the ones who ripped them down from the train. Arseholes.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

If it was a one off I would agree. But haven't these militants been causing havoc for a while now?

I don't agree with folk getting violent but good on the ones who ripped them down from the train. Arseholes.

This was their first day of (failed) action on the underground system.

I'm not sure I would agree that lunging for someone stood on top of a train is a good idea, if you push them rather than grab them they will probably die and you'll be in the nick.

6 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Idk people moved to violence because something delays them getting to work is abjectly tragic

Middle class wanks stopping working class people from using public transport, which they supposedly want people to use in order to cut down pollution. 

Just now, MixuFixit said:

If XR blocked my route to work I'd smile and go home and tell my boss why I couldn't get in. Unless you're a doctor or a nurse what sadsack gives so much of a f**k about getting to work they drag someone off a train?

Most people will lose a days pay which they probably can't afford to lose, some may even get sacked.

11 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Let’s just ignore that fuckface started the violence by kicking the lad in the heed 

This was their first day of (failed) action on the underground system.
I'm not sure I would agree that lunging for someone stood on top of a train is a good idea, if you push them rather than grab them they will probably die and you'll be in the nick.
I wasn't talking specifically about the Underground.

If XR blocked my route to work I'd smile and go home and tell my boss why I couldn't get in. Unless you're a doctor or a nurse what sadsack gives so much of a f**k about getting to work they drag someone off a train?
All very well if you have an understanding boss.