Reasons to be Cheerful

I would hate to be learning to drive these days,i passed my test in 1988 after taking 3 driving lessons.

When did the changes come in re test/licence?

I passed sometime in the late 80's/early 90's, and I am fine for minibuses, having a trailer etc but even some of the boys I work with who are in their late 30's cannot.

I passed sometime in the late 80's/early 90's, and I am fine for minibuses, having a trailer etc but even some of the boys I work with who are in their late 30's cannot.

I have grandfather rights on my licence and can drive up to 7.5 ton vans,we however have to sit a CPC within 5 years but my work is paying for it and they also can train us so it is win win.

I would hate to be learning to drive these days,i passed my test in 1988 after taking 3 driving lessons.

30 lessons and 3 tests, nae shit. Still canny drive, to busy looking for someone to wave too

Anyone who passed after 1997 no longer automatically gets D1.

Do you have to pass another interview to give advice?

Samaritans aren't actually supposed to give advice over the phone.

*In the respect that they shouldn't tell a person what they should do.

Edited by KeeperDee

So you just pick up the phone and listen? How do they know if there is someone there?

You help them understand their feelings and hopefully they can go on from there. There's a thing called "sign posting"; whereby if a person was for example struggling with really bad debts, and they were feeling upset about it, we could give them a number for an agency that could help them specifically with their financial difficulties, but that would be as far as the "advice" would go. If a person was saying they wanted to commit suicide or self harm, we aren't really supposed to say "No, don't do that" or tell them why they shouldn't do that. The whole phone service is centered on lending a "listening" ear.

You help them understand their feelings and hopefully they can go on from there. There's a thing called "sign posting"; whereby if a person was for example struggling with really bad debts, and they were feeling upset about it, we could give them a number for an agency that could help them specifically with their financial difficulties, but that would be as far as the "advice" would go. If a person was saying they wanted to commit suicide or self harm, we aren't really supposed to say "No, don't do that" or tell them why they shouldn't do that. The whole phone service is centered on lending a "listening" ear.

I'll give you a sign post, you just ignored my question, who do I complain to about your attitude?

I'll give you a sign post, you just ignored my question, who do I complain to about your attitude?

You're supposed to answer the phone with "Hello this is Samaritans, how can I help you?" or something along those lines. :)

Samaritans aren't actually supposed to give advice over the phone.

*In the respect that they shouldn't tell a person what they should do.

I did my ChildLine counselor training a few years ago, loved it.

Sounds like a really good thing to get into. Must be a really tough job to do though, if you can't actually do anything about it, especially if you get people talking about suicide or whatever, but let's hope you can manage to help some people out. Best of luck with it.

I have grandfather rights on my licence and can drive up to 7.5 ton vans,we however have to sit a CPC within 5 years but my work is paying for it and they also can train us so it is win win.

If you're driving a 7.5t just now you'll have to do 5 x 7hr courses before September. Also, like most companies paying for it, they'll probably have you doing it in your own time at the weekend.

CPC is an absolute waste of time cash cow. You need to do 5 x 1hr sessions over 5 years but you can do the same course each time. Pointless scam.

If you're driving a 7.5t just now you'll have to do 5 x 7hr courses before September. Also, like most companies paying for it, they'll probably have you doing it in your own time at the weekend.

CPC is an absolute waste of time cash cow. You need to do 5 x 1hr sessions over 5 years but you can do the same course each time. Pointless scam.

We need to do the training at the weekend but getting paid overtime for it.