The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

I love the Empire Strikes Back. It is such a great movie. As a kid I loved the action, but as I got older I started to appreciate other parts of the film. Luke Skywalker stuck in the ice in the cave of the Wampa symbolising his dormant useless Jedi powers and the meeting of the most unlikely Jedi Master. The cleverest part of the film for me was the introduction of more back story to the film. Irvin Kershner allowing the actors to ad lib and change the dialogue seemed to make it flow better than Starwars.

The betrayal of Han and Chewie, Vader playing with Luke and slicing his hand off and then probably the biggest twist in movie history. Everything about it was non formulaic at that time. The good guys got destroyed. On watching that film for the first time your hope was gone.

The first time I saw Empire Strikes Back I was four. My dad got a copy from some guy at his work for about £40 at that time, and he had to provide the blank video cassette as well for about £20! I was very fortunate that I only had to wait one more week before Return of the Jedi came out. ROTJ was the last film ever played in Dingwall cinema. My mum bought me an ewok and I used it as a football. Teebow can get to f**k!

I've been watching these versions of the original trilogy

Despecialized Star Wars

Remastered, HD, versions with all the added CGI stripped out.

I bought a DVD set of the Original Trilogy around ten years ago that had the original theatrical releases as bonus DVDs. If I am to watch any of those films, I always watch those versions. Although the chimpanzee mask as Palpatine in Empire is quite comical. But I much prefer the original noise of the Krayt dragon that Ben impersonates and the original ewoks song much better.