Ryder Cup 2014

Jamie_B

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to think of anyone who's had a more aesthetically pleasing golf swing than Rory.

Just looks so natural.

It's a beaut isn't it? I've no idea how he manages to maintain his balance with the speed he swings at. Poulter on the other hand looks like he's chopping wood with a rusty axe.

Fine putt from Poulter there though. Hopefully he'll carry on like this for the next couple of holes which will then put him in good stead for the singles.

McGinley is trying to make this McIlroy and Garcia partnership work, not convinced it's a natural one. And I don't get the Westwood and Donaldson pairing this afternoon, they are lucky though in that they're up against the weakest of the four american pairs - if that match doesn't return a point then that's a cock up by McGinley. I'm hoping it goes in to tomorrow level, or even USA ahead, I never really care who wins the Ryder Cup but really want it to go down to the wire with a dramatic finish.

On a side note, what is the point in the vice-captains? Just to stand around trying to look as if they are somehow any influence on proceedings?

McGinley is trying to make this McIlroy and Garcia partnership work, not convinced it's a natural one. And I don't get the Westwood and Donaldson pairing this afternoon, they are lucky though in that they're up against the weakest of the four american pairs - if that match doesn't return a point then that's a cock up by McGinley. I'm hoping it goes in to tomorrow level, or even USA ahead, I never really care who wins the Ryder Cup but really want it to go down to the wire with a dramatic finish.

On a side note, what is the point in the vice-captains? Just to stand around trying to look as if they are somehow any influence on proceedings?

The vice-captains tend to follow different groups and report back to the captain on how things are going, guys are playing etc. It's obviously impossible for the captain to see all 4 games (or 12 tomorrow) at once. They can also offer encouragement, etc to the players - when you look at who some of the guys are, you can see why a quick word from someone with their experience can help.

It wasn't as bad at 18 because of the mounds around it but at the smaller greens it was horrendous, we sat at 13 for 30mins to watch the first couple matches through and the freeloaders trumbled in and just stood up in front of people paying good money to be there. Was the only downside to a fantastic day for us.

I'm sorry to hear that. I certainly think that they need to look at it for future.

Even on the actual marshalling side, as well as the hole marshalls (of which there are sixteen of us at the 18th) there are four "mobile marshals" for each player (so sixteen for a pairs match), a handful of media marshals trying to keep the various cameramen, radio commentators, journalists under control and various team leaders etc. So at least forty, which is completely OTT IMO.

One of the guys inside the ropes for a game on Friday was Kaymer's caddy's old man.

Not your fault I just think it's an absolute joke, why was sir jackie Stewart inside the ropes for example? The entourages are outrageous and just get in the way, why the hell are players wives and mothers etc so necessary that they walk into greens to shake hands after a match? Surely that should be players,caddies and referee only.

Westwood has just hit one. Monty off on a rant.

Poulter? What do you say about him. He's been awful then this.

It's not been enough though.

Despite his posturing, he's taken half a point from two and he had to be paired with the World no1 to gain that.

A couple of decent late holes this morning doesn't alter that he's not been able to raise his game above what his form would suggest, this time.

Not your fault I just think it's an absolute joke, why was sir jackie Stewart inside the ropes for example? The entourages are outrageous and just get in the way, why the hell are players wives and mothers etc so necessary that they walk into greens to shake hands after a match? Surely that should be players,caddies and referee only.

Completely agree.

Archived