Car advice

6 minutes ago, Rowan said:

Can I fix my boot release (which isn’t releasing)  with a hammer or am I best going to a mechanic? 

If you can move the back seats forward you might get access to the inside of the boot, and fiddle about a bit. Although a hammer solves most things so long as you don't need the boot to close again.

Edited by welshbairn

8 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I stopped using my private plate last year.  I get a new lease car every two years and it’s a pain in the arse (and costly) to keep changing it.

However I’m far less likely to remember the registration now.

I found it cheaper to change my name rather than the plate.

Yours Faithfully 

SL05 EEF.

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

If you can move the back seats forward you might get access to the inside of the boot, and fiddle about a bit. Although a hammer solves most things so long as you don't need the boot to close again.

I had a look on you tube and the but that compressed is probably stuck

I’ll give it a go later.

We were talking about this last night.  We were just going to buy the new car outright, but a couple of our friends have said we should go down the PCP road.

I've always thought that you're paying a lot of money and have nothing to show for it, but it seems to be something everyone is doing. 

One of the advantages of HP is being able to hand the car back at the halfway stage if your circumstances change or if you want to just change the car. I’ve just bought the Mrs a car on PCP but she doesn’t do the mileage that I do so it suits us for that. My mileage means that PCP deals are fairly high so not that cost effective but it has been in the news recently about PCP having the same get out clause as HP but needless to say the lenders are trying to challenge it.

42 minutes ago, statts1976uk said:

One of the advantages of HP is being able to hand the car back at the halfway stage if your circumstances change or if you want to just change the car. I’ve just bought the Mrs a car on PCP but she doesn’t do the mileage that I do so it suits us for that. My mileage means that PCP deals are fairly high so not that cost effective but it has been in the news recently about PCP having the same get out clause as HP but needless to say the lenders are trying to challenge it.

You should never make a purchase like that on drugs.  

Think the general rule of thumb is that if you change car every 2 or 3 years then lease as the lease costs will be less than the depreciation so you are better off.

If you keep a car more than 3 years then purchasing makes more sense.

HP/PCH has and advantage you can return after paying half.

46 minutes ago, throbber said:

Most people don’t have the time to save up 5-10 grand to get a decent car though.

Welshbairn, your approach might work although you could easily have a car that has all sorts going wrong with it after a certain mileage and your spending ridiculous money just to keep it on the road.

I went down the bank loan route. £10k in your bank, no initial payment needed and you pay it back over 5 years at £180 a month. Buy the car outright so if moneys ever tight I sell it and get the full value of it, and the monthly payments are low enough you can almost ignore them tbh. 

Spoke to a finance company who said they can't get close to that.

Not the best idea for all, and ideally it wouldn't of been as long, but I prefer owning my car.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

My preference is buying a 3 to 4 year old car with low milage and running it until it's scrappie time. Most modern cars are pretty reliable, should get 10 years out of it.

1 hour ago, PB 4.2 said:

buy with cash.  

Always done this