Car advice

Convenience and the ability to palm off complete shite guilt-free. Not sure I have the nerve to sell something to someone knowing it was fucked, car dealerships on the other hand? f**k them.
I'm well behind this behaviour tbf, conning a dealership after their "mechanics" look over it is quality stuff.

1 hour ago, just me 2 said:

Is it a hassle to sell a car through gumtree/auto trader? I mentioned it to my wife and she’s says if I want to do that I’ve to do it. What do you need to do DVLA wise?

Was wondering that myself, do you still need a paper VC5? Haven't a clue where mine is since everything else has gone digital.

On 23/09/2021 at 12:44, Empty It said:

Why do people trade cars in as opposed to privately selling them?

Because it is a lot easier than dealing with the shower of twats that seem to frequent ebay, auto trader and gumtree these days. 

Life is far to short to be dealing with the twats offering half the asking price or a swap with a PS5 and a shoddy Corsa. 

44 minutes ago, Lex said:

Wanting to buy a second hand car. Max budget 10k. Any recommendations?
Was thinking of a Skoda and seen a few decent ones on auto trader for around 8k.

Do not buy a fabia Monte Carlo, shitest car I've ever driven. 

I've just bought st line focus. Ecoboost but can shift.

Was thinking of a Skoda and seen a few decent ones on auto trader for around 8k.
Can get a TVR Chimaera for that sort of cash.

If it's want to buy then wait a price second hand are as high as they've ever been, if it's need to buy then what size, what will it be used for?

2 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
6 hours ago, Lex said:

If it's want to buy then wait a price second hand are as high as they've ever been, if it's need to buy then what size, what will it be used for?

I use mine for transport. I'm lazy and I don't  care about the environment.

1 hour ago, keithgy said:

I would wait a while if you can as car prices are just crazy 

Would agree, although afaik you can get a higher value on a trade in from a dealership than usual if you go down that route, otherwise its a bit of a wild west at the minute. Had a look out of curiousity and a similar year/mileage/trim on my Astra is currently going for about £1.5k - £2k more than what I paid for it last year on Autotrader, dread to think what used VW's/Audi's are going for...

Been toying with the idea of changing my car because second hand car prices are daft at the moment.  WBAC are coming up with a figure of £18k for my 5 yo car at the moment so about double what it would be worth in a normal market I think.

If I took it to a dealer for a trade in are they coming up with those silly numbers as well?  Also if I chose a new car that wasn’t in stock at the moment and I had to wait a few months for it if all the finance/trade-in value was sorted now would the dealer have to honour it if the market suddenly turned normal and the trade-in for my car became a lemon for them?

Not sure how it works if they just take your car away for the trade-in and could then leave you without a car for months while you wait on the new one.

Edited by Left Back

7 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Also if I chose a new car that wasn’t in stock at the moment and I had to wait a few months for it if all the finance/trade-in value was sorted now would the dealer have to honour it if the market suddenly turned normal and the trade-in for my car became a lemon for them?

Nah.  They'd wriggle out of it, of course.  The trade-in would be priced at the time of completion unless you're thinking of starting a market in car price futures.

I have gone through a similar process to you with my 2013 Golf and have  decided not to bother for at least another year.