Buying a Chinese phone....

wunfellaff

9 hours ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

I thought you were at the wind up as I'd never heard of it. How does it work?

You get a wet wipe type thing with the liquid glass on it and you wipe it on the screen, basically. It leaves a layer of "glass" on the screen which is tougher than screen protectors, scratch resistant and pretty much undetectable, meaning you dont loose any screen brightness or touch sensitivity

https://www.crystalusion.com/en/liquid-glass-screen-protectors/

5 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Can anyone recommend a smaller phone than the Bluboo? Not a fan of the huge screen, I have a tablet I use for games and TV etc. Lost my phone at a gig a few weeks back and I'm not paying 40 a month for another contract.

There are shitloads out there to chose from.

Still pimping the Umi brand as it is what I'm concentrating on at the mo

http://www.gearbest.com/promotion-umi-special-1062.html 

Have a swatch around the site from there tho.

You get a wet wipe type thing with the liquid glass on it and you wipe it on the screen, basically. It leaves a layer of "glass" on the screen which is tougher than screen protectors, scratch resistant and pretty much undetectable, meaning you dont loose any screen brightness or touch sensitivity
https://www.crystalusion.com/en/liquid-glass-screen-protectors/

That looks really good. I'll have to try it.[emoji106]

1 hour ago, Kennboy1978 said:

There will be an Umi Njord pretty soon with the amount of advertising you're doing for them on here !

When this one is inevitably banned, you never know...

More like I had jiayus in the beginning of the thread, I backed them. Now its an Umi, I'll back them.

Why? Because I am using them, and saying plusses/minuses , build quality etc.

If I had a Bluboo I'd likely promote that. Or a Xoami , or a one plus. Etc etc.

The amount of posters that have bought the seems to be growing, and hardly a negative view. If any.

A general viewing of the last few months would lead one to think, 

A/ its not hard to buy a phone from China .

B/the build quality is superb.

C/ the price is fantastic.

D/ the features on the Top End are as good/ better than the Top End over here.

Downsides , for me, are lack of VoLTE support . But that's it.

All hail the Chinese brands.

1 hour ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

That looks really good. I'll have to try it.emoji106.png

I guarantee if you try it you'll never go back to screen protectors.

My top tip - one set of wipes will easily do more than one phone. I've also used it on all the ipads, tablets, DSs etc in the house. You can also put it on glasses and sunglasses too

Liking the idea of a, Chinese phone. Bought a vodafone smart prime 6. Ok to start with but laggy as f**k now that I've put a few apps onto it. That's with moving all possible apps to sd card and all photos as well.  

I may be back for advice once I've had a look at the link a few posts above. 

2 minutes ago, pittsburgh phil said:

Had the phone for a few days now, still v impressed and I know it's been mentioned but the battery performance is exceptionally good..I'd struggle to get it into single figures in a day

Which make and model did you buy?  

Seriously thinking about one?  Don't want to go back to a contract 

A Bluboo Maya Max...not far over a hundred and twenty quid and pretty impressive. I'm on Giffgaff so even looking at buying reconditioned handsets at that kinda price didn't really appeal. The whole process of ordering from China/HK was pretty painless too, though I think Mr X had some issues!

Would definitely recommend.

5 minutes ago, pittsburgh phil said:

A Bluboo Maya Max...not far over a hundred and twenty quid and pretty impressive. I'm on Giffgaff so even looking at buying reconditioned handsets at that kinda price didn't really appeal. The whole process of ordering from China/HK was pretty painless too, though I think Mr X had some issues!

Thanks for that.  

I'll look into it.  Just been looking at the Umi plus at £144. 

Was reading through the thread trying to keep up with who's bought what etc. 

My vodafone sim should be OK to fit or I might have to buy they sim adaptors?  Not thats a big deal. 

Thanks for that.  
I'll look into it.  Just been looking at the Umi plus at £144. 
Was reading through the thread trying to keep up with who's bought what etc. 
My vodafone sim should be OK to fit or I might have to buy they sim adaptors?  Not thats a big deal. 

Think your sim card should be fine, though Njord is the guy to ask here..my sim was a mini but not a micro and it was dandy. That's on a Bluboo though.

1 minute ago, pittsburgh phil said:

Think your sim card should be fine, though Njord is the guy to ask here..my sim was a mini but not a micro and it was dandy. That's on a Bluboo though.

Ok cheers again.  Not that it's a biggie.  Is getting hit by customs just luck or do there seem to be some companies that are better than others? 

Sorry for all the questions :-)

Had a strange one today. Usually leave my phone on charge overnight but forgot to last night, so I put it on charge in the works van today. The battery only moved from 38% to 42% in about three hours. Knew something wasn't right, so I done a quick reboot and once it had booted up it said the battery was 100% fully charged. Looking on the Bluboo forums it seems I'm not the only one to have had issues charging the battery. Just thought I'd report it incase the same thing happens to any of the Bluboo Brothers on here.

9 hours ago, pittsburgh phil said:

Thanks for reminding me <_< :lol:

7 hours ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Had a strange one today. Usually leave my phone on charge overnight but forgot to last night, so I put it on charge in the works van today. The battery only moved from 38% to 42% in about three hours. Knew something wasn't right, so I done a quick reboot and once it had booted up it said the battery was 100% fully charged. Looking on the Bluboo forums it seems I'm not the only one to have had issues charging the battery. Just thought I'd report it incase the same thing happens to any of the Bluboo Brothers on here.

Cheers, not something I've seen. I did have a few days where the battery seemed to be running down really quickly but that just resolved itself