Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

It'll be interesting to see if we do an expanded provisional squad for whatever warm up games we take on before the Euros (how f*cking brilliant is it to be able to talk about something like that?).

If we go down that route, it could be a last chance for Turnbull, Gaul and maybe Griffiths to squeeze in - maybe one, probably none of them.

It'll be interesting to see if we do an expanded provisional squad for whatever warm up games we take on before the Euros (how f*cking brilliant is it to be able to talk about something like that?).
If we go down that route, it could be a last chance for Turnbull, Gaul and maybe Griffiths to squeeze in - maybe one, probably none of them.

I think the squad for the Euro's needs to be named before those friendlies take place. The friendlies will be more for preparation that anything else.

I think its clearly a mistake not calling him up.

I also think, having watched him a lot this season, McGinn is a vast improvement on McGregor or Jack for one of the holding roles. So ideally he would play there, freeing up another place in the squad for someone like Gauld.

What is folk's obsession with this fucking Aberdonian child? I'm sure he's grand and all and wouldn't have raised any eyebrows at him being in the squad, but we've currently got a midfield more or less comprised of Old Firm/ good English Premiership players- to the point that Turnbull and Gilmour still haven't been called up despite being probably Celtic's player of the season so far and, pre-injury, on the cusp of the Chelsea starting lineup. 

It just confuses me why people are so up in arms about a boy playing for Farense.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

What is folk's obsession with this fucking Aberdonian child? I'm sure he's grand and all and wouldn't have raised any eyebrows at him being in the squad, but we've currently got a midfield more or less comprised of Old Firm/ good English Premiership players- to the point that Turnbull and Gilmour still haven't been called up despite being probably Celtic's player of the season so far and, pre-injury, on the cusp of the Chelsea starting lineup. 

It just confuses me why people are so up in arms about a boy playing for Farense.

Because 90% of folk on here don't see him regularly, so the 10% (plus some weirdos) can pretend they're incredibly intelligent/knowledgeable by talking about how amazing he is with the easy comeback of "how often have you seen him play?!" the moment anyone questions them.

5 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It's the Abroad League halo from a bunch of trainspotters.  No one gave a shit about Steven Caulker till he went to Turkey, now he's Baresi. Jack Harper has his own thread despite playing at a level which is barely above public parks. These people don't watch or understand football really.

That's nothing against Gauld btw - for all I know he's doing really well over there (I hope he is), but like you say we have loads of other options there playing at a better level.

Edited by Marshmallo

23 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Can you name your 31 man squad that gauld wouldn't have been part of? Give me a laugh

You'd only need to add 5 players to the current squad, and you'd immediately be thinking of Porteous, Gilmour, Paterson, Griffiths and Shankland, which is four guys that have been members of previous squads (three of them regularly) and Gilmour who is clearly our most promising youngster.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

You'd only need to add 5 players to the current squad, and you'd immediately be thinking of Porteous, Gilmour, Paterson, Griffiths and Shankland, which is four guys that have been members of previous squads (three of them regularly) and Gilmour who is clearly our most promising youngster.

Do any of these players have the most shots off target in the "Liga NOS" this season?

16 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I think its clearly a mistake not calling him up.

I also think, having watched him a lot this season, McGinn is a vast improvement on McGregor or Jack for one of the holding roles. So ideally he would play there, freeing up another place in the squad for someone like Gauld.

I honestly don’t know how someone could watch John McGinn and think that the best thing to do with him is have him play further away from the opposition penalty box.

16 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Firstly well done working out 26 + 5 = 31.

Secondly Gilmour whos now playing under 23 football? Griffiths who isn't playing.

And you would add another 2 strikers, giving us 6 strikers for one position. Including one who isn't playing for his club.

Your selection is bizzare.

Its about a squad for here and now, not name people who have been in a squad before. Adams and Nisbet haven't been in a squad before and yet there in.

It's the Abroad League halo from a bunch of trainspotters.  No one gave a shit about Steven Caulker till he went to Turkey, now he's Baresi. Jack Harper has his own thread despite playing at a level which is barely above public parks. These people don't watch or understand football really.
That's nothing against Gauld btw - for all I know he's doing really well over there (I hope he is), but like you say we have loads of other options there playing at a better level.
There was plenty of Caulker for Scotland chat as soon as he signed for Dundee.

The reason there's so much abroad leagues chat on the Tartan Army subforum is that we all know the relative merits of UK based players through traditional media. It's quite useful to have updates on Scots players whom we might otherwise not hear about.

Clamour to have them called up is a different matter and is really explained by folk desperate for Scotland to have success. The less we know about a player (due to abroad league status) the more chance there is of them not being shite: Schrodinger's Journeyman.

Gilmour was on the bench for a Champions League knock-out match last night, and anyone who has watched him for more than five minutes can see that he is the most promising talent Scotland has produced in a generation. The fact he can't get into one of the best teams in Europe is hardly a slight on him - McTominay, McGinn, Robertson and Tierney are perhaps the only Scotland players who would get anywhere near the Chelsea squad.

Just now, craigkillie said:

Gilmour was on the bench for a Champions League knock-out match last night, and anyone who has watched him for more than five minutes can see that he is the most promising talent Scotland has produced in a generation. The fact he can't get into one of the best teams in Europe is hardly a slight on him - McTominay, McGinn, Robertson and Tierney are perhaps the only Scotland players who would get anywhere near the Chelsea squad.

I completely agree with that. But on the bench ain't on the pitch.

If he was playing even the odd game here or there I think we should have him in. But he's getting nothing.

Its a big jump from u23 to international football.

Apart from that, your still sticking with the 6 strikers? It feels like you would say anyone but Gauld just to try not to be wrong.

In what looks like a pretty settled system that Clarke favours Gauld is surely only an option for two positions where the current choices are McGinn, Christie, Fraser and Armstrong. 3 of those were extremely important in getting us to the Euros and the other plays every week with our new, presumptive first choice, striker. 

Forrest if fit will likely be in the squad and can play there, and Turnbull probably rightly is the next cab off the rank. Great that Gauld is doing well in Portugal and I'm sure he'd do alright if he was brought in but there's almost no reason to do that right now. 

If he was a centre half or a centre forward then sure (see C.Adams) but you're talking about one of our most competitive positions

2 hours ago, G51 said:

I honestly don’t know how someone could watch John McGinn and think that the best thing to do with him is have him play further away from the opposition penalty box.

Except for his actual manager obviously, who's been playing him there all season.

3 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Except for his actual manager obviously, who's been playing him there all season.

He’s played 8 far more than he’s played 6 this season. And he’s much better as an 8, he has the engine and the eye for goal to play it.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

He’s played 8 far more than he’s played 6 this season. And he’s much better as an 8, he has the engine and the eye for goal to play it.

Nope. Completely untrue. 

I'm not sure he's played 8 at all all season.  Always been one of the deep midfielders.

You haven't watched them have you?