Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Armstrong can play in the middle aswell while neither Gauld or Christie do at club level, both more wingers/attacking midfielders.

In recent months Gauld has been playing as a forward, the wee man to Brian White's big man, and to good effect. I think the commentary said in Vancouver's last game that White's goal was the eighth he's scored this season that was assisted by Gauld.

While at Vancouver, he's also played as a regular 10, an 8, on both wings, and he was even used as a left wing back earlier this season (and was man of the match, I think).

He's extremely versatile, an exceptionally hard worker, has good passing, vision, crossing, technique, he's a very good set-piece taker, has scored every penalty he's taken at Vancouver (15 or so), he pretty much seems tailor-made for the current Scotland setup. 

I wouldn't drop Armstrong or Christie for him, mind, but I would Nisbet, if it was up to me. Anyway, I trust Clarke to make the right choices, so while I'd like to see Gauld get a chance, if Clarke doesn't fancy him that's OK by me.

5 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

In recent months Gauld has been playing as a forward, the wee man to Brian White's big man, and to good effect. I think the commentary said in Vancouver's last game that White's goal was the eighth he's scored this season that was assisted by Gauld.

While at Vancouver, he's also played as a regular 10, an 8, on both wings, and he was even used as a left wing back earlier this season (and was man of the match, I think).

He's extremely versatile, an exceptionally hard worker, has good passing, vision, crossing, technique, he's a very good set-piece taker, has scored every penalty he's taken at Vancouver (15 or so), he pretty much seems tailor-made for the current Scotland setup. 

I wouldn't drop Armstrong or Christie for him, mind, but I would Nisbet, if it was up to me. Anyway, I trust Clarke to make the right choices, so while I'd like to see Gauld get a chance, if Clarke doesn't fancy him that's OK by me.

Or Brown. But generally I think this is most folks' take on it. It would be nice to see a new face come into the squad, particularly as a reward for good form as in the case of Gauld, but not anything to get too het up about. 

Edited by KingRocketman II

I have never thought Gauld merited a call-up at any point in his career until the last month or so. He is not just performing well in the MLS - he is the top ranked player in terms of returns.  The run has been going since May so it might just be a fluke.  
He got another assist again last night:
22 games, 20 starts, 12 goals, 14 assists.