UEFA - Several Format Changes

HibeeJibee

This escaped my notice a few weeks ago, and I haven't found a thread on it. We knew FIFA were changing how international dates worked... from next season there's no standalone dates but 4 double-headers every season (Sep Oct Nov Mar), all with rest midweeks beforehand, up from 3... and that EL winner would enter CL QR4 from 2015.

However UEFA also says...

[1] Gibraltar get 1 CL & 1 EL place from next season (it was assumed they'd get 1 & 2);

[2] European footballing season will be 2 weeks longer from next season (CL Final is on Sat 6th June!);

[3] free week in August freed-up from international friendlies will be used for UEFA Supercup from next season;

[4] cup runners-up places scrapped from 2015-16, so if FA cup is won by CL qualifier slot goes to league :unsure2:

http://www.uefa.org/aboutuefa/organisation/executivecommittee/news/newsid=1999120.html

http://kassiesa.net/uefafiles/2014-15-uefa-access-list.pdf

EDIT: Also, this announced earlier this year...

[5] from 2015 no-one gets more than 3 EL slots (a few get 4 currently) and will be 16 slots direct into EL groups, up from 6

http://www.uefa.org/aboutuefa/organisation/executivecommittee/news/newsid=1956131.html

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This escaped my notice a few weeks ago, and I haven't found a thread on it. We knew FIFA were changing how international dates worked... from next season there's no standalone dates but 4 double-headers every season (Sep Oct Nov Mar), all with rest midweeks beforehand, up from 3... and that EL winner would enter CL QR4 from 2015.

However UEFA also says...

[1] Gibraltar get 1 CL & 1 EL place from next season;

[2] season will be 2 weeks longer from next season, CL Final is on Sat 6th June!;

[3] free week in August freed-up from international friendlies will be used for UEFA Supercup;

[4] cup runners-up places get scrapped from 2015-16 so if FA cup is won by CL qualifier slot goes to league :unsure2:

http://www.uefa.org/aboutuefa/organisation/executivecommittee/news/newsid=1999120.html

http://kassiesa.net/uefafiles/2014-15-uefa-access-list.pdf

EDIT: Also earlier in year...

[5] from 2015 no-one gets more than 3 EL slots (a few get 4 currently) and 16 slots direct into EL groups, up from 12

http://www.uefa.org/aboutuefa/organisation/executivecommittee/news/newsid=1956131.html

Point (4) will delight lots of idiots on here who wish to see the European experience confined to as few clubs as possible.

Also, non-qualifiers winning CL will no longer mean 4th-place losing their CL place, as happened with Chelsea/Spurs a few seasons ago.

However, in unlikely event 1 country provides CL and EL winners and neither finishes top 4, then 4th will lose their CL place:

http://kassiesa.nl/uefa/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=3003&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Point (4) will delight lots of idiots on here who wish to see the European experience confined to as few clubs as possible.

It would have given ICT their European debut and maybe stopped an awful Hibs team from playing in Europe this season.

Personally I'd have kept the Cup Runner-up place: not due to it having benefited Hibs a couple of times (well if you call rogering off Malmo a benefit) but as it enhanced the cup competitions.

That's not so much a problem in Scotland where clubs take the cup seriously anyway due to its history and prestige, but it could be elsewhere in Europe. Platini once talked about giving CL slots to FA cups, now they're losing their back-up European access which has been in place since the Cup-Winners'-Cup began.

Don't mind their various tweaks to EL access, they won't affect us tbh, and giving some slots direct into groupstage mirrors CL.

I think the lengthening of the season is wrong. They should have put QR1-QR4 back a week - and had EL Final on May 20th and CL on May 23rd/30th. That would have been a reasonable length: mid-July start, mid/late-May finish. You wonder if this isn't a land-grab ahead of winter WC2022 fallouts.

Supercup date change makes sense, given EL winner will be entering CL QR4. Think Gibraltar will probably feel a touch hard-done-by.

It would have given ICT their European debut and maybe stopped an awful Hibs team from playing in Europe this season.

Yes, this season ICT would have benefited. The reality though, that much more often, Cup runner up has opened opportunities to others, less likely to get there via the League.

As HJ says, it also diminishes Cups if they become less likely to give European access.

Reading between the lines the 2014/5 CL final being 6th june might only be one off due to a later start to the European season after the WC??? The final bein 13th July would surely mean the bundesliga n ligue1 starting a fair bit later as they often open on the first weekend in august....theyl just be adding the two or three weeks they missed on at the end surely??? Italy n spain always start late anyway and have often played into June, hope this reshuffle doesnt become the norm.....

Disappointed to see the cup runners up thing go. It got us a wonderful experience a few years ago and whilst a repeat is very unlikely and probably at least 100 years away in all likelihood, this removes much of the chance of it happening again for us or anyone else.

However, I don't conceptually have a problem with it. I understand the attitude from others that it should be winners only.

Perhaps the extra week/fortnight has been saught by the clubs upon getting their players back from the last WC after hardly any break??? Thinking also the season prior to any WC is always deemed longer than the previous three.....and perhaps a later finish to 14/15 will plug the gap left with no Confed Cup, as the Copa America is traditionally a July tourney....

Personally I'd have kept the Cup Runner-up place: not due to it having benefited Hibs a couple of times (well if you call rogering off Malmo a benefit) but as it enhanced the cup competitions.

My team: Berwick Rangers

The idea that losing teams getting into Europe adds value to the cups is a weird concept, for sure.

HJ, is there any chance that Scottish teams would get a direct entry to the group stages with the number of spots going up to 16?

Only if ranked in the top 12... according to the article, 16 EL slots will go to the top 12 countries (presumably the top 4 will get 2 each - meaning their best league qualifier should enter directly alongside their cup winner).

We have occasionally been in that neck-of-the-woods but are currently down in the mid-20s.

Archived