Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

They do have the slightest clue what is happening

The reason Yes is being pushed out and No shortened, is because the boomakers consider the chances of Yes winning to be decreasing.

That's not what I asked.

I'm aware of how the mechanics work.

On what grounds?

I can tell you first hand that the bookies are struggling with the trading of the vote today and are working on a mostly reactionary basis now. Lay to a certain loss then chop and so forth. Could easy see a big swing wither way in the betting over the course of the day.

Think Evening Standard just had an Ipos- Mori one. If so, it was 53:47 for No, based on what I saw elsewhere.

Exit poll results can't be made public until after 10pm.

I don't think there was a 53-47 yesterday (3 x 52-48 and a 51-49 IIRC) so I'm unsure where that has come from.

HB is looking at this from a calculative perspective and some of the Yessers are challenging him. The "emotional" sh**e is out of place though.

It is interesting the assumptions the No side have made around "quiet" voters and the reverse swing. I'm not keen on assumptions ;)

However the Edinburgh University study showing youngsters voting No is another contradiction to the established view.

Objectively I think it'll be a No narrow victory. This article is interesting although the No estimations are overly optimistic:

http://www.theweek.co.uk/uk-news/scots-independence/60436/scottish-independence-odds-bookmakers-shorten-odds-on-no

Yes, I'm sure there is another reason for bookmakers increasing the odds on Yes.

Hint - there isn't.

Yeah but still not answering the actual question are you? What information are they going on to make them think it is more likely that No will win? There is nothing to go on - other than the amount they would lose if No win.

HB is looking at this from a calculative perspective and some of the Yessers are challenging him. The "emotional" sh**e is out of place though.

It is interesting the assumptions the No side have made around "quiet" voters and the reverse swing. I'm not keen on assumptions ;)

However the Edinburgh University study showing youngsters voting No is another contradiction to the established view.

Objectively I think it'll be a No narrow victory. This article is interesting although the No estimations are overly optimistic:

http://www.theweek.co.uk/uk-news/scots-independence/60436/scottish-independence-odds-bookmakers-shorten-odds-on-no

If you'd been on this forum for longer than 10 minutes or actually had bothered reading some of the threads - you'd find that plenty of us have been saying that 16-17 year olds are a stronger No than many other age groups. So whatever view you think is 'established', it is only established in your head.

H_B said there was zero chance of a Yes victory only a few weeks ago. He, like the entire British establishment, the mainstream media, and most of all the BT campaign have been absolutely shiting themselves recently.

They do have the slightest clue what is happening

The reason Yes is being pushed out and No shortened, is because the boomakers consider the chances of Yes winning to be decreasing.

I’m quite happy to be corrected here but think you’re wrong – the odds are what they are because, for whatever reason, they know this is the optimum position in terms of making them a guaranteed profit (this would be easier to do in a two horse race than a larger field). It’s surely just a case of a graph based on a supply and demand curve, tweaked to their operating environment. Again though, fair enough if this is nonsense.

Yeah but still not answering the actual question are you? What information are they going on to make them think it is more likely that No will win? There is nothing to go on - other than the amount they would lose if No win.

If you'd been on this forum for longer than 10 minutes or actually had bothered reading some of the threads - you'd find that plenty of us have been saying that 16-17 year olds are a stronger No than many other age groups. So whatever view you think is 'established', it is only established in your head.

H_B said there was zero chance of a Yes victory only a few weeks ago. He, like the entire British establishment, the mainstream media, and most of all the BT campaign have been absolutely shiting themselves recently.

I'm new to the forum so I hadn't read that previously but I did anticipate your venomous and tear stained reaction. The article is interesting because it's relevant to the thread and a lot of what the experts say may be wrong although betting odds tend to be accurate. I think you'll find that most people thought it would be tight

Edited by Banterous

If the Polls are right then I can see the No winning by 4 or 5% but when I look at the social media I don't think the Polls are right. The amount of yes I see is unbelievable in these social media of twitter/facebook but maybe its more the younger will more likely vote for yes and the more older people that don't use social media much will more likely vote for a no. My family is split 50/50.

Not much sleep last night and hope to get a few hours tonight before the count, really want a yes to win.

Edited by Milners

This. H_B's entire demeanour on this sub-forum has changed completely in the last 2 - 3 weeks. Gone is the perma smug, supercilious H_B, replaced by a chap who's "always thought it would be tight" and who thinks "we should all get on, whatever the result".

Now, knowing that H_B can't completely change, I'll address his pedantry now and say that the content of the above inverted commas is me paraphrasing, rather than a direct quote.

This. H_B's entire demeanour on this sub-forum has changed completely in the last 2 - 3 weeks. Gone is the perma smug, supercilious H_B, replaced by a chap who's "always thought it would be tight" and who thinks "we should all get on, whatever the result".

Now, knowing that H_B can't completely change, I'll address his pedantry now and say that the content of the above inverted commas is me paraphrasing, rather than a direct quote.

Surprised he hasn't changed his avatar now that Murray has declared he is supporting yes