FAO Caley Fans.. 'Yogi' Hughes

yep certainly seems to be what i heard. something along the lines,of not wanting to commute to Inverness but after todays victory its time for the yogi haters to give the guy a chance

I'm not a Yogi hater, and I agree he should be given a chance.

I'd just have preferred Hartley or Shiels.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must admit he wasn't my 1st choice but like any Ict manager he will get my support. At least at the beginning �

Same here.....If Yogi gets us going again, and gets us to a Top 3 or 4 finish, I'll be able to say I'm glad I said we should give him a chance.

If he fucks up and we finish in the bottom 6, I'll be able to say well he wasn't my choice.

Yogi wasn't my 1st choice for the Falkirk job in 03 (Coyle was) but after winning promotion and taking us to various semis and a cup final, not to mention 5 seasons in the SPL and signing some cracking players, he kind of grew on me.

Don't be spoilt brats up there. Caley fans are well liked. I'd hate for yous to ruin the good rep by doing to Yogi what you did to Butcher in 09.

At least gie the guy a year before the judging.

Yogi wasn't my 1st choice for the Falkirk job in 03 (Coyle was) but after winning promotion and taking us to various semis and a cup final, not to mention 5 seasons in the SPL and signing some cracking players, he kind of grew on me.

Don't be spoilt brats up there. Caley fans are well liked. I'd hate for yous to ruin the good rep by doing to Yogi what you did to Butcher in 09.

At least gie the guy a year before the judging.

What did we do to Butcher in 2009?.

Unless I've got the year wrong I remember a group of fans wanting him out the door.

I remember the banners and protests.

Not sure the years' either but he was definitely getting a lot of stick and was not everybodys first choice. Even the season after we got back into the SPL the team was quite boring and when he and Malpas were offered new contracts it was to a lot of folks surprise as the football was guff, and we were languishing at the foot of the table. I know a lot of folk who left and still have not returned. I would like to point out I was not one of that brigade but more than once I left the game in disgust at the poor perormance.

I know a lot of folk who left and still have not returned.

A lot of our fans did that with Yogi.

When fans say they 'are done' wi a manager and 'won't be back til he's gone' I bet they rarely do come back.

Once they get into a new routine away from football , they can be easily lost to the game forever.

Nope.

Not long before you went down in 09.

I actually don't remember Brewster being manager there

I can remember plenty of protests with banners shortly before Brewster was sacked, but there was nothing like that for Butcher apart from the odd dissenting voice which, let's face it you will get anywhere.

Butcher just joined us a few months before we went down in 2009. He actually brought about a considerable transformation and almost saved us from the chop. It was your lot that finished us off in the last game of the season, when Tokely got sent off early doors for some innocuous challenge.

Have to agree with JB on this, Gaz you are mistaken. Butcher came in Jan 09 and whilst not being the first choice of many was given support from the start of his tenure. This slipped a little with a small group due to a slow start in SFL1 but the nay sayer soon shut up. Butcher always had his critics even when he was delivering the results, I'd even go as far as to say some were happy he went to Hibs despite our form at the time. But there were never protests and banners.

Not sure the years' either but he was definitely getting a lot of stick and was not everybodys first choice. Even the season after we got back into the SPL the team was quite boring and when he and Malpas were offered new contracts it was to a lot of folks surprise as the football was guff, and we were languishing at the foot of the table. I know a lot of folk who left and still have not returned. I would like to point out I was not one of that brigade but more than once I left the game in disgust at the poor perormance.

The first season back in the SPL we started slowly then went on a great run that took us up to 3rd, higher than we have ever been and although we slipped back in the 2nd half of the season most folks were happy especially when we went unbeaten after the split and the season gave us a platform to go even further. I remember our supporters at home were not happy through out most of the season even when we went on that incredible run of results up to Christmas as we tended to play our best football and get our best results away from home, so they rarely got a chance to see that, maybe it was just the way we played with fast counter attacking football, but at home when we needed to take the initiative we seemed clueless and scraped results except it seems against Hibs who we destroyed. A good reward for these fans who had put up with lukewarm performances at home through out the season were treated to a superb win against Celtic in a rescheduled match after the split had started.

The following season we started ok but were hit with injury after injury which along with our limited budget put constraints on who we could play so the management team had a valid excuse and during that season there were a few rumblings from the more sensitive fans, but survival was always the bottom line and we never looked in danger of going down. It was a frustrating season for the support but those with a sensible head knew we could do better with a fit squad of players and although our player of the year Jonny Hayes and legend Grant Munro departed there was an element of trust in the management team that they would find more gems in the lower leagues in England which turned out to be true.

The management team of Butcher and Malpas had never been under a lot of pressure to perform in comparison to other clubs mainly due to the long term strategy of the ICT board. Both were given more freedom than most managers would at other clubs as long as they worked within the budget given and kept the club away from the relegation zone which they achieved since coming back up.

I can remember plenty of protests with banners shortly before Brewster was sacked, but there was nothing like that for Butcher apart from the odd dissenting voice which, let's face it you will get anywhere.

Butcher just joined us a few months before we went down in 2009. He actually brought about a considerable transformation and almost saved us from the chop. It was your lot that finished us off in the last game of the season, when Tokely got sent off early doors for some innocuous challenge.

I mind looking at the fixtures for the split and knew if we were not out of danger by the last fixture we were f**ked, Falkirk at home.

Although the Falkirk game finished us off, there was a lot more that contributed to us going down such as the form we had 1st half of the season. If we had the form in the 1st half of the season like we did in the 2nd we easily would have stayed up. But consider although Terry and Mo got us into a position where we had a chance of staying up during the split we were gone in December, so Ifind its a bit harsh to blame one game.

Terry made mistakes such as when Pavels Mihadjuks returned from injury he didn't put him back in the center back position where he had been most effective and put Rosscoe back out on the right back where he could supply these accurate crosses into the penalty box. So when we played Falkirk Pavels hardly got a touch and Rosscoe along with Grant Munro were too slow (which cost us the penalty) and were more inclined to punt long balls up the park instead of passing though we learned that lesson in previous games against Falkirk with Lionel's 'casual' approach to defending. I thought our away match with Kilmarnock and our home game with Hamilton were games where we should have come away with more but came away with nothing setting us up for 'Bugger Off' Saturday, but all this is not important now cause maybe we wouldn't have seen some of the excellent young players that were signed since then.

Nope.

Not long before you went down in 09.

I actually don't remember Brewster being manager there

You're sure now?

I went to all the home games and most of the away games and there was definately no protests nor banners at any games. I'm sure there are supporters who are never happy but we went from having no chance of staying up under Brewster to a realistic chance with Butcher, almost all the supporters understood this and got behind the team.

Did you go to all the ICT home and away games to see this and if so do you have evidence of the protests and banners?.

Have to agree with JB on this, Gaz you are mistaken. Butcher came in Jan 09 and whilst not being the first choice of many was given support from the start of his tenure. This slipped a little with a small group due to a slow start in SFL1 but the nay sayer soon shut up. Butcher always had his critics even when he was delivering the results, I'd even go as far as to say some were happy he went to Hibs despite our form at the time. But there were never protests and banners.

Agree with you too SS. I also say best wishes to Yogi in continuing the amazing ICT journey of Onwards and Upwards.

Agree with you too SS. I also say best wishes to Yogi in continuing the amazing ICT journey of Onwards and Upwards.

Yogi for Europe.

My expectations have slipped a little since Butcher left but we can hardly blame Yogi's settling in period for throwing away the championship.

Championship will wait another year, it would have been nice to complete the journey in two decades but 21 also has a nice wee ring to it.

Blackpool will be wishing they had gone for 'Yogi' Hughes instead of Paul Ince when they see us take on the might of Scandinavia and Baltic countries clubs in the Europa League next season when we win the Scottish Cup and finish in the top 3.

Archived