Your Old Stadium

Yeah my dad said that was the case. He attended the final match at muirton & the first at mcdiarmid. He told me it never felt the same to him. I drive by asdas and I just try and picture how the place would have looked as a football grous. I even once tried to pinpoint where the centre spot would have been when I was with my friend.

I understand why we moved. I just wish I could have seen muirton in the flesh, I wasn't born until 91 so all I've known is mcdiarmid.

Out of curiosity does anyone have pictures of our original ground on the inch? I believe it was called "recreation park" I think we moved to muirton in 1930?

http://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/history-stadiums-recreation-ground.php

post-1545-0-76686000-1390586489.jpeg

post-1545-0-69796800-1390586502.jpeg

Out of curiosity does anyone have pictures of our original ground on the inch? I believe it was called "recreation park" I think we moved to muirton in 1930?

The Recreation Ground wasn't on the south inch. It was opposite the prison...I think there is a petrol station there now...or was....

Has there ever been a better thread? Honestly.

Not that I've seen. Misty eyed nostalgia in forum form. Some of those ground bring back great memories.

For those of you too young to remember rickety old grounds smelling of urine, may I suggest a trip to Somerset Park for that "heritage" experience...

SPW019488.jpg

1955 Prior to North Bank being roofed.

lovestreet1955.jpg

1958 Roofed North Bank

lovestreet72.jpg

0,,10284~9152453,00.jpg

Lovestreet1990.jpg

1991 (North Bank seated after Taylor Report)

northbank2003.jpg

1995 New Away Stand

weststandLS.JPG

2005 Fully compliant with SPL criteria.

LoveStreet2005.jpg

_44416008_love_street.jpg

Edited by AberdeenBud

Not that I've seen. Misty eyed nostalgia in forum form. Some of those ground bring back great memories.

For those of you too young to remember rickety old grounds smelling of urine, may I suggest a trip to Somerset Park for that "heritage" experience...

God I miss that! :lol:

I think the only thing that's changed about Cowdenbeath is they've moved some of the tractor tyres around.

Also - did HJ really refer to them as Cowdungbeath? I'm shocked and stunned!

Also also - I was actually at the last match at Muirton with my brother, who is a lapsed SJ season ticket holder. We were issued with little SJFC pin badges as mementos, he gave his to a friend (!!) but mine is still around my folks' house somewhere.

Yeah my dad said that was the case. He attended the final match at muirton & the first at mcdiarmid. He told me it never felt the same to him. I drive by asdas and I just try and picture how the place would have looked as a football grous. I even once tried to pinpoint where the centre spot would have been when I was with my friend.

I understand why we moved. I just wish I could have seen muirton in the flesh, I wasn't born until 91 so all I've known is mcdiarmid.

The nostalgia is great but Muirton really was a tired old ground......the supermarket deal & that with Farmer McDiarmid when combined with the work deal the previous couple of years by Geoff Brown & Alex Totten laid the foundations of St Johnstone being a full time Club for the last 25years (they were part time from 85-89 I think).

People slag off McDiarmid but the first 2years where the Club averaged over 7,000 were amazing plus the football was great too.....Perth just seems to have fallen out of love with their team a bit.

Rod, do you know when the last pic was from? Is the No. 4 Tam Forsyth?

Edited to add: Great thread, especially for wee auld yins, and thanks to QLP for starting it.

Pretty sure it is , that's John Martis wearing 5 and him and Forsyth had at least one season together in the team , 68-69 ?

Palmerston isn't exactly the most modern stadium but how the Cowshed manged to pass the safety tests I'll never know

qojCGxn.jpg

Aah the coo shed. Many memories of the place and the amazing toilets round behind it (a steel fence/wall)

A smile on my face too seeing that picture and CID (Casuals Internal Division) sprayed on the side, brings it all back....

I stood on that terrace at Dortmund earlier this year while in Germany for some Bundesliga football with Fudge, and my Christ, you couldn't move. We got in about an hour and a half before kick off and even then when we got to our section (right at the back) it was mobbed. Going for a beer / trip to the toilet was more hassle than it was worth! Fantastic atmosphere though and a great experience, but there wasn't much room to move!

I stood on that terrace at Dortmund earlier this year while in Germany for some Bundesliga football with Fudge, and my Christ, you couldn't move. We got in about an hour and a half before kick off and even then when we got to our section (right at the back) it was mobbed. Going for a beer / trip to the toilet was more hassle than it was worth! Fantastic atmosphere though and a great experience, but there wasn't much room to move!

What was it like when they scored?