Advice on Highlands

atfccfc

Hello, can any of you highlanders help me out please?

I have an Historic Scotland pass and i'm wanting to Visit Fort George (Inverness), Dallas Dhu distillery (Forres), Elgin Cathedral and Spynie Palace (Elgin) and Huntly castle (Huntly).

If I have time I will also go to Culloden Battlefield (National trust)

As I don't drive I will be using Scotrail and possibly Local Buses to visit all these attractions.

Can I do these Justice with one over night stay or would two be more realistic?

Thanks for any information

Hello, can any of you highlanders help me out please?

I have an Historic Scotland pass and i'm wanting to Visit Fort George (Inverness), Dallas Dhu distillery (Forres), Elgin Cathedral and Spynie Palace (Elgin) and Huntly castle (Huntly).

If I have time I will also go to Culloden Battlefield (National trust)

As I don't drive I will be using Scotrail and possibly Local Buses to visit all these attractions.

Can I do these Justice with one over night stay or would two be more realistic?

Thanks for any information

I'd start at Huntly, get off the train at Elgin and Forres and stop for a night in Inverness. Then do Fort George and Culloden the following day.

I'd start at Huntly, get off the train at Elgin and Forres and stop for a night in Inverness. Then do Fort George and Culloden the following day.

Thanks lads. This sounds sound advice. Think I will start in Aberdeen, as its closer to Huntly. The trains between Aberdeen and Inverness seem to run every 1 to 2 hours. So need to work that out. What are bus services like between Huntly, Elgin and Forres? Are they more regular?

• 1 month later...

Don't want to start a new thread so having a go here.

Me and Mrs Boo are off for 2 night this week to Alyth on a groupon pressie deal.

It's north of Dundee and between Blairgowrie and Kirriemuir. The hotel website talks about huntin shootin fishin and walking as the main local attractions......none of which really appeal.

So I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions for stuff to do within reasonable distance to keep me out the bar for 48 consecutive hours.

Cheers.

What Mozz said. Anyway, if you`re into golf, you are in paradise. Three decent courses near Alyth and another two at Rosemount by Blairgowrie. I`m no golfer so don`t ask me about them.

You`ve got the ski slopes at Glenshee which aren`t too far.

It`s only 20 minutes into Dundee, you could go to Tannadice on Saturday & watch United murder Saints :P

If you think Alyth is in the Highlands, Jimmy, you've been sold a wrong'un.

I know its not the highlands(although from Ayr it feels like it) but like I said I didn't want to start a new thread which probably wouldn't get very far. Got the groupon for my birthday and looking forward to 2 days chilling away from the usual routine.

I'll maybe push shopping trolleys into the river at some point if i'm desparate.....kidding!!!

What Mozz said. Anyway, if you`re into golf, you are in paradise. Three decent courses near Alyth and another two at Rosemount by Blairgowrie. I`m no golfer so don`t ask me about them.

You`ve got the ski slopes at Glenshee which aren`t too far.

It`s only 20 minutes into Dundee, you could go to Tannadice on Saturday & watch United murder Saints :P

Dundee sounds good mate but im back down the road on friday...was there a few weeks ago for Embrace gig and was well impressed...nice place and will go back in summer.

2 nights in alyth and you don't like fishing or walking? You are pretty much fucked.

If you can get the missus to drive there are nice pubs at bridge of cally,glamis or glen clova for lunch.

If you want to make the drive up a bit more interesting I would recommend heading north up the a9 at Perth and taking the Moulin road from pitlochry to blairgowrie.

2 nights in alyth and you don't like fishing or walking? You are pretty much fucked.

If you can get the missus to drive there are nice pubs at bridge of cally,glamis or glen clova for lunch.

If you want to make the drive up a bit more interesting I would recommend heading north up the a9 at Perth and taking the Moulin road from pitlochry to blairgowrie.

Aha....thats the other problem....my Audi is multitronic and she refuses to try to drive it but I appreciate your suggestions and will check these out and get back.....cheers mate>_>

• 1 year later...

Question for any Aberdonians. Tomorrow (Tuesday) I'm heading to Tolquhon castle near Pitmedden. Is there a short cut from the village adjacent to Pitmedden garden? I'm looking at google maps and there does seem to be. Cheers

Archived