Should FIFA take the World Cup out of Qatar?

stumigoo

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

England to be criticised in World Cup report, Qatar escapes serious censure

:lol: Almost got to admire the brass neck on them.

See qatars bid makes no sense, 6 stadiums in Doha?

I was always under the impression that the stadiums should be spread out across the country.

Yes. Or even places which aren't villages, or exist.

But - like on dates, or on labourers - Qatar is different.

England's behaviour in the lead up to the bidding certainly wasn't squeaky clean. There was the whole issue with the Thailand friendly, that nonsense game against Trinidad and Tobago, and all the stuff with alleged bribes to officials with handbags.

I have no doubt that pales into insignificance compared to what went on with Qatar, but they've obviously done a good job of covering their tracks.

I have no doubt that pales into insignificance compared to what went on with Qatar, but they've obviously done a good job of covering their tracks.

Probably not they likely just chose to ignore it all

I love the bit on the Russians

"According to the report, the Russian team hired computers that were subsequently destroyed, denying the inquiry access to email accounts."

:lol: that for me, sums it up......did 78 year old computer whizz Blatter investigate himself rather than employ some IT capability ? LOL not having the PC isn't a barrier to retrieving e-mail correspondence....did they lose all the computers they sent messages to as well, just for a start......what a farcical whitewash.

Although fully expected it's ridiculous that they've whitewashed Qatar. Not allowing Garcia to publish all his findings but instead having Eckert publish a summary of Garcia's report made a mockery of the whole process, not that anyone had much confidence in it in the first place.

That said, it is pleasing that they've called out the English FA on their holier than thou pish. No doubt there is genuine honest journalism going on with some reporters and organisations being interested in uncovering and exposing corruption in FIFA without an agenda, but so much of the media response was simply 'How dare they give the World Cup to someone else, football belongs to us, how could another bid be better, they must all be corrupt!' The spotlight on FIFA in much of the English media was the result of nationalistic bitterness, not a genuine desire to expose corruption, so it's good to see them reminded that their own FA were guilty of this.

Hardly anyone gave a f**k about FIFA corruption before the bid, then the tabloids perceived an insult to England so suddenly it was the biggest story in sport: we'll see if that continues now that the FA's flaws have been pointed out. If they continue trying to expose corruption I'll be glad to see it, but they can drop the persecution complex now.

Hardly anyone gave a f**k about FIFA corruption before the bid, then the tabloids perceived an insult to England so suddenly it was the biggest story in sport:

I think you are right in a lot of what you say, however, awarding a WC to Qatar was quite clearly a leap into new depths of shadyness (allegedly) so it's not all down to hypocrisy that media took more interest now than for France, Korea-Japan, Germany, Brazil. Aussie and US press have too. Also, Qatar didn't beat England - they were beaten by Russia.

I think you are right in a lot of what you say, however, awarding a WC to Qatar was quite clearly a leap into new depths of shadyness (allegedly) so it's not all down to hypocrisy that media took more interest now than for France, Korea-Japan, Germany, Brazil. Aussie and US press have too. Also, Qatar didn't beat England - they were beaten by Russia.

Yeah, I won't argue with that.

Garcia has already came out and said the report "contains numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations of the facts and conclusions." :lol:

I suspect it would revert to June-July 2026. But FIFA have a problem with January 2023 as their contracts and bidding process said 2022 so it would make it very easy for the Australians, Americans, etc. to sue. They also have a problem with January 2022 as it would clash with the Winter Olympics. Any winter tournament clashes with the NFL season, annoying US broadcasters holding rights to both. November-December irritates UEFA as it disrupts CL.

Fifa just don't give a flying f**k. :lol:

Shameless out in the open corruption, you've got to admire their chutzpah.

Think the FA might be better served by admitting some errors and transgressions whilst playing the game.

Its a quite a statement of just how brilliant football is that the sport's governing body (and, to be honest, the national governing bodies) can be such a corrupt shambles and yet we all still tune in week after week, year after year.

This is an important issue for me. Fifa can pretty much do as they please as the whole world isn't going to give up on its most watched sport as a protest towards their corruption. Because they don't report to any independent body they can effectively do as they please in the confines of the law.

The balls of FIFA to come out and clear Qatar of any wrong doing and threaten action against the FA is fantastic.

Some of the 'yes we know Qatar gave a few million to some federations around the time of the bidding process, but it had nothing to do with the world cup' line are laughable. Anyone with and logic, just looking above at the logistics of the whole thing, could see that this result was a fix as if it were to be based on anything else Qatars bid would have finished last every time. They promised air conditioned stadiums to counter the heat for Christ sake.

They've really hit a new high here, fifa. And it'll be interesting g to see what comes of Garcias claims. Will he go ahead and just publish his report in full?

Archived