Aye I would agree but I would argue that he would have had a harder time quelling popular opposition emerging like with the mass demonstrations a couple of years back if the Crimean situation hadn't occurred.

Oh definitely, no argument over that.

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been thinking if I was Obama what could I do to piss the Russians off as much as they have just pissed me off.

Invading Cuba an option?

Withdraw all McDonald franchises in Russia, same with Coke?

The Iranians, sure we could do something to them to fvck them up, that would get up Putins nose.

Answers on a postcard!

lol wut

Russia will fall apart when he is eventually removed.

Erm yes, except for the fact that it didn't do so when Medvedev was in charge, just a few years ago. Russia will continue to face challenges in its economy, political efficiency and from Islamist groups, but the central vision of a strong Slav-based state in the world is as strong as ever. Reclaiming Crimea is rightly seen as a readjustment towards a more respectable assessment of Russian influence.

Erm yes, except for the fact that it didn't do so when Medvedev was in charge, just a few years ago. Russia will continue to face challenges in its economy, political efficiency and from Islamist groups, but the central vision of a strong Slav-based state in the world is as strong as ever. Reclaiming Crimea is rightly seen as a readjustment towards a more respectable assessment of Russian influence.

I agree with the rest of what you say, but Medvedev wasn't really ever "in charge", was he?

I agree with the rest of what you say, but Medvedev wasn't really ever "in charge", was he?

Well yes, he quite clearly was. As much as any successor will be after Putin - quite possibly Medvedev again. It's not a Stalinist system, they actually have more than one caricature hardman to continue governing the country.

Well yes, he quite clearly was. As much as any successor will be after Putin - quite possibly Medvedev again. It's not a Stalinist system, they actually have more than one caricature hardman to continue governing the country.

Not sure he was anything other than a puppet figure tbh, especially with Putin hovering in the background as a souped up PM.

I think a genuine post-Putin leader will face far greater challenges than Medvedev ever did.

Putin's cabal of FSB types and cosy oligarchs will keep ticking over quite nicely, whoever the frontman is, so long as the oil and gas lucre keeps flowing in. If they don't make more serious efforts to diversify the economy, and the frackers keep finding more sources, they could be in serious shit. But anybody running the country would be, and Putin's lot would be more able to clamp down on dissent without going way over the top than the alternatives.

Putin's cabal of FSB types and cosy oligarchs will keep ticking over quite nicely, whoever the frontman is, so long as the oil and gas lucre keeps flowing in. If they don't make more serious efforts to diversify the economy, and the frackers keep finding more sources, they could be in serious shit. But anybody running the country would be, and Putin's lot would be more able to clamp down on dissent without going way over the top than the alternatives.

well that was lucky ...non of the oligarchs who had their assets frozen were based in the UK even though most of them are .

Archived