Please do tell about presenting at international conferences.

Such a really self indulgent statement to make.

Since you asked, you get a lot of free scran, most importantly, coffee, before and after, then present your research as part of a topical panel of papers, as in the case of my paper, propaganda relating to the creation of Czechoslovakia, contrasted with the counter-propaganda of the Hungarian state in relation to the contested area of 'Slovakia'. My presentation happened to occur before a laughably poor Hungarian revisionist job relating to similar themes, which made the feedback from the commenter a complete skoosh in comparison to the ton of fail dumped on their effort. I subsequently won a $750 prize for the submitted paper, which paid for a lovely ten-day pissup in Central Europe.

If you're feeling in any way belittled by others' application of knowledge then I suggest you take all those chips off your shoulder and shuffle off to a more appropriately mundane forum. Needless to say you will not in any way be missed.

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we sending our brave British boys and girls over there to sort these c***s oot or whit???

Given the alarming haste with which the West slid towards intervention in Syria, I'd be quite concerned about that actually becoming the case. The wider facts are straightforward but are bafflingly absent from Western analyses - the traditional border of Russian influence and power has shifted hundreds of miles east in the past century, in 1914, the fate of Serbia was deemed vital to Russian interests. Ukraine is quite simply too close and too important for Russia's political interests to be disregarded: that is the tough geopolitical reality Ukrainians will have to once again be accustomed to for the time being. The EU's influence has successfully hived off the Baltic states and has reached across part of the Ukraine, but the fault-line runs down the country. Given the military resources and differing political goals at stake, either Ukraine will be divided or will be forced back into Russia's sphere of influence. Russia's reputation will pay, and should be held to pay dearly for its actions in the long-term, but right now any direct challenges would be idiotic.

When you try and come up with a smart-arsed retort, maybe try and make it relate to the question.

Ironically, your assessment of the region, I would say, is pretty accurate. So your application of knowledge on the subject is not in question. What is, is your pompous, self indulgent attitude, which is laughable.

I am not sure, in what universe I would feel belittled, by a kid from Greenock.

Anyway, verge of tears and all that childish shit.

For reference, the main gas pipeline to Central Europe, runs right through the Ukraine and will be a 'Russian interest' that Russia will want to protect.

At least twice before (possibly 2005/6), when Russia cut off Ukraine's gas supply (for non payment), they could not stop the Ukraine filtering off gas to Hungary, Austria and Germany, resulting in manufacturing in Hungary and Austria facing a 3 day week.

You cried about presenting at international conferences, I replied in relation to it; deal with it.

Rest assured that your comments about my tone have been filed in the same big book reserved for all tone-trolling exercises on this forum.

You cried about presenting at international conferences, I replied in relation to it; deal with it.

Rest assured that your comments about my tone have been filed in the same big book reserved for all tone-trolling exercises on this forum.

You needed to edit that?

What is the definition of 'cried' you are referring to, I do believe I asked you to expand on a statement you made. Rhetorical question.

Anyway, to file away in your 'big book'.

You do, at times make some reasoned debate, especially on political threads, which shows you have some intelligence. At the same time, you try and make every post about yourself and to make yourself appear 'superior' to everyone else, which frankly is childish, self indulgent and just makes you look like an idiot.

Hope you do try and keep the reasoned debate going as it is interesting, but the rest of your nonsense, it really is cringeworthy.

Personally, I feel that Ukraine will have a split, if not now but in the years to come, Ukraine hasn't exactly been politcally stable recently while Russia would love to take over the resource rich eastern ukraine even through a proxy state. The West won't dare get involved in this issue.

I'd say it would be possible, Russia leases the deep sea port there and is the base for their southern fleet. The lease was only extended a few years ago (controversially) and there is no way they'll be letting it go. As well as the 'ethnic' divides, Russia has a lot of interests in Ukraine they will not be wanting to lose.

Russian strategic rocket forces on heightened state of alert apparently....

Quite rightly, I don't know if it has been reported on Western media but Ukraines new Government has twice mentioned that Russia will be dealing with a nuclear power if it doesn't fuk off.

as for Russia I'm actually on their side here , Crimea is virtually Russian with something like 97% Russian speakers, and Theres word the will voting on joining Russia soon.

Funny how we hear nothing from Obama or Europe on nuclear weapons from Ukraine, but Iran...

"Well regain our status as a nuclear power and thatll change the conversation. Ukraine has all the technological means needed to create a nuclear arsenal which would take us about three to six months, Svoboda party MP Mikhail Golovko said.

Eta the first thing the Government did was ban Russian from being an official language.

Eta the first thing the Government did was ban Russian from being an official language.

It's a bit more complicated that that, and I think the new president just vetoed it, for what it's worth. There's definitely two sides to the overall story though and no simple good guy bad guy narrative on this. What's interesting to watch now is the extent to which the local referendum thing spreads across the regions of the east and south. Seems to be a mixed bag so far. Donetsk seems to be going for it, but Odessa definitely not.

BBC reporting a Ukraine army base with over 1,000 troops have been told to stand down by the Russians, he seems pretty convinced it's going to kick off very soon

Would be surprising if they don't, given we have Trident pointed at them.

why would we be pointing ours at anyone other than people that can't fight back?

Its what we do

Ukraine has mobilised their armed forces, the BBC reports that there are Russian troops digging trenches on the Ukrainian border.

Does Russia really want to attack Ukraine? Ukraine are obviously weakened but there is the potential for significant losses simply because of the size of the Ukrainian armed forces. Politically this would be riskier than the Georgian conflict - this isn't a conflict that's flared for the past few years and invading a state on the borders of the EU would be less difficult to do without significant diplomatic and economic pressure. No-one has been as reckless as Saakashvilli was during that crisis either.

Edit: Also, the Ukrainian and Russian armed forces worked closely together until the crisis. The Ukrainian marines in Crimea are negotiating with Russian troops at the moment, at a higher command level they have probably been working together until recently.

Pretty tense. Russia are obviuosly intent on securing their Crimean bases despite a bi-lateral agreement that cedes them to Moscow until 2047.

Secondly they want to secure the Eastern half of Ukraine with centres in Kharkiv and Donetsk depite it having little economic value.

I've read that the Riot police involved in attempting to quell the Kiev protestors have also been offered Russian passports.

Putin may be drawing a line in the sand as he will be opposed to increased western influence on his border.

I can't see there being any appetite for conflict between two largely friendly nations, outwith of political extremists and some sections of ethnic minorities. Two anti-war rallies have been broken up in Moscow by police already today.

Ukraine are hoping for Western support to secure their security and nuclear facilities.

There is a sizeable Ukrainian population in America too.

Ukraine president now saying attempts to secure bases and disarm troops is an act of war.

Madness!

Archived