The Alloa Athletic Thread

Have to say, Neil Parry was the best part-time keeper in Scotland for a few seasons and an absolute legend for Alloa. He made a few mistakes latterly after a very serious injury (which he returned from way ahead of schedule and effectively kept Alloa in the Championship in the process) which probably affected his mobility. I don't think we can reasonably compare him to a new keeper who has played 1 league game! If Ogayi gets anywhere near that level then we'll be very lucky indeed. Personally words like "raw talent", "athleticism" and "enthusiasm" about goalies set alarm bells ringing 😁. Ogayi looked to me like he needs a good run of games (bounce games) and then we can see if he is an option for regular first team football. Hopefully he will go on to do really well. 

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

Have to say, Neil Parry was the best part-time keeper in Scotland for a few seasons and an absolute legend for Alloa. He made a few mistakes latterly after a very serious injury (which he returned from way ahead of schedule and effectively kept Alloa in the Championship in the process) which probably affected his mobility. I don't think we can reasonably compare him to a new keeper who has played 1 league game! If Ogayi gets anywhere near that level then we'll be very lucky indeed. Personally words like "raw talent", "athleticism" and "enthusiasm" about goalies set alarm bells ringing 😁. Ogayi looked to me like he needs a good run of games (bounce games) and then we can see if he is an option for regular first team football. Hopefully he will go on to do really well. 

Makes a change to my usual adjectives of "shrinking violet", "nervy" and "small" when referring to  backup goalies. I'm certain even in the short time I've seen him that he will go down as a cult hero.

7 hours ago, Waspie said:

Have to say, Neil Parry was the best part-time keeper in Scotland for a few seasons 

Have to admit to only seeing him play once or twice since lock down, but there’s absolutely no doubt he was probably the best Part Time Goalkeeper for a number of seasons, guy was a class act that probably could have played higher.

Yes Parry always will be an Alloa Legend, just P***es me off how he left due  to that eejit we had as manager for a while,  I think the Jury is still out on Ogayi but he looks good so far , A good backup at the very least .

Strange that a team goes from scoring 4 in 45 minutes to barely mustering a shot on target. Can't really blame Sammon and Rodden, we could have had Ronaldo and Messi up front but if they aren't getting the chances they can't score. Credit to Rodden, I did see him offer some runs in behind but no one tried to get the ball in to him. Same with Cawley after he got moved from wing back.

The build up reminded me of Barry Ferguson team, we seemed to be passing forward till we got about 25/30 yards from goal then just start passing back and sideways.

Hopefully it was a one off poor performance.

Credit to Stirling, they were organised and dealt well with any balls we did try and play forward.

4 hours ago, Rory said:

Strange that a team goes from scoring 4 in 45 minutes to barely mustering a shot on target. Can't really blame Sammon and Rodden, we could have had Ronaldo and Messi up front but if they aren't getting the chances they can't score. Credit to Rodden, I did see him offer some runs in behind but no one tried to get the ball in to him. Same with Cawley after he got moved from wing back.

The build up reminded me of Barry Ferguson team, we seemed to be passing forward till we got about 25/30 yards from goal then just start passing back and sideways.

Hopefully it was a one off poor performance.

Credit to Stirling, they were organised and dealt well with any balls we did try and play forward.

It's certainly a positive take to say Saturday was a one off but based on our six competitive games so far the QoS match looks more like the outlier. It was lots of fun to watch but QoS were so wide open in that opening 45 it was unreal, trying to play out all the time and not looking comfortable with it. There was so much space to work in and it was more like the closing stages of some games with gaps all over the place. Stirling were never going to be like that and faced with a competent setup unfortunately we never looked like creating anything at all. Ultimately our main attacking threat was hitting set pieces towards Morgyn Neil. When that failed we pinned our hopes on a teenager who hadn't played at this level before. He did his best and hopefully he will go on to flourish but asking him to lead the attack for the last 20 mins of a much anticipated derby was an interesting call. 

I'm sure people are bored with me highlighting the importance of settled teams, formations and partnerships but Saturday was a clear example. Stirling are based largely on their League Two team and have clear limitations. They are aware of those limitations though and also their strengths. From the two games I've seen they are comfortable in their individual positions and the shape of the team and it all knits together nicely, a very well oiled machine. They defend well, compete in midfield and have a threat upfront. They are a proper team in that respect. Alloa have potentially a stronger side on paper but invariably have players not in the positions that best suit their talents, while we chop and change personell and shape frequently. When did we last have a settled, flowing, coherent team? A few questions about new signings too and we can only hope that's down to them still settling. But Stirling under Darren Young look more than the sum of their parts. Alloa haven't had that for a while and currently look a fair bit off it. There is a good team in there though, it's all down to how we deploy what we have. 

5 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Again ..but away  where do they play ?

Interesting in that tournament you have to have a designated ground,  with the B lowland League side being removed due to the well discussed fall out...

I will take a shot in the dark and say Broadwood....   

11 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

puzzled as to why they are allowed in this tournament after huffing out of said league

its Dumbarton's ground apparently

That was last season, they cancelled the agreement due to the standard of the pitch and Broomhill moved in instead.

Another poor performance with the usual mistakes giving away penalties and goals. On top of that we have little going forward and when the few chances come along the ‘strikers’ are unable to convert.

Apart from the obvious of getting more firepower, I’m not sure how they will improve. I cant remember any time, in any game this season, when we have dominated the midfield and put any sustained pressure on teams. 

At the start of season I had high hopes, currently I would be happy to stay in the league. 

The main problem that I can see is that the signings Rice made are on the whole downgrades on what we had last season. I was optimistic at the start of the season thinking if we made 4 or 5 good quality signings we could have a real go again this season unfortunately that hasn’t transpired and in fact it’s the opposite. I was one of Rice’s biggest supporters but I’m at the point where I don’t think he know’s his best team and with no quality loan signings on the horizon it seems like he is running out of ideas and is now criticising his new signings which I will admit outwith the odd exception I don’t  rate. No easy answer moving forward & he has to take the responsibility. 

Edited by Jagwasp

11 minutes ago, Jagwasp said:

The main problem that I can see is that the signings Rice made are on the whole downgrades on what we had last season. I was optimistic at the start of the season thinking if we made 4 or 5 good quality signings we could have a real go again this season unfortunately that hasn’t transpired and in fact it’s the opposite. I was one of Rice’s biggest supporters but I’m at the point where I don’t think he know’s his best team and with no quality loan signings on the horizon it seems like he is running out of ideas and is now criticising his new signings which I will admit outwith the odd exception I don’t  rate. No easy answer moving forward & he has to take the responsibility. 

It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do as a Alloa fan,to decide not to go to games this season.But with first Fergusion,and now Rice as managers,and the poor quality on show,enough was enough for me.Brian Rice is now being found out as the poor appointment I thought he'd be.Is there another team in the league that can't get loan signings in?and that won't change.That must be down to Rice.Bottom end of the table at best.