The Alloa Athletic Thread

The only problem under Smith was that we were so timid in front of goal. We'd have been laughing if we'd managed to score a few more. People only remember the terrible run without a win, but the style of play was good and we never looked outclassed.

Danny's signings haven't been good enough for this league, that's all. Whether or not he could have made better signings from what was available, I don't know. I actually think he's made a reasonable fist out of the mess recently, but we don't have a hope in hell of scoring, so it doesn't matter.

Looks like we've celebrated the news by throwing the towel in tonight, but I don't there'll have been a match that Alloa fans cared less about in quite a while.

Did Smith do a sensational job to keep Alloa up or was Lennon just doing a completely abysmal attempt at saving them this season?

Always rated Lennon despite his bizarre comments in the media at times. Mammoth task for Alloa to compete in this league year in year out as a part time side but thought you'd be doing better than you are just now.

Smith had Hartley's fantastic Alloa squad (minus Bain) and to be fair he added a very good striker in Buchanan. We played some good stuff under him and had some famous results but he struggled in many games to get the points the performances merited. We ended up scrapping with an abysmal Cowdenbeath team and I think we'd have been relegated had Smith stayed on. He underachieved in the league with the players he had.

Lennon came in and did very well with that squad. His problem was that the pretty much all the good players left in the summer. I do wonder if some could have been persuaded to stay. He was on holiday when the exodus started and once a few left it was probably unlikely the others would stay. Maybe that would have happened regardless.

His new signings were nowhere near the same standard so we were always going to struggle this season. Even then there is enough quality in the squad to be doing better than we are. Lennon did well to keep us up but since then he had a nightmare really.

Watching that tonight it's a big job for whoever comes in especially in the way the team floundered late on.

There will be plenty interest in the post. It's a well run club, ideally situated for player recruitment for both the east and west coast.

Michael Chopra has thrown his hat into the ring, I'm not sure about that one. Granted he'll have a few contacts who might loan him a few players but can Alloa afford to take a chance on a rookie manager like Chopra.

Ok it worked under Hartley, is it time for a safe pair of hands likes of Grant Murray, John McGlynn, Billy Reid or Jim Jeffries

Watching that tonight it's a big job for whoever comes in especially in the way the team floundered late on.

There will be plenty interest in the post. It's a well run club, ideally situated for player recruitment for both the east and west coast.

Michael Chopra has thrown his hat into the ring, I'm not sure about that one. Granted he'll have a few contacts who might loan him a few players but can Alloa afford to take a chance on a rookie manager like Chopra.

Ok it worked under Hartley, is it time for a safe pair of hands likes of Grant Murray, John McGlynn, Billy Reid or Jim Jeffries

G M, clearly having a giraffe.

seems a shout, second favourite behind Chops.

The bookies market so far appears to be based solely on folks chat on Twitter. Ie, I say I want Simmy to get the job, it gets a few retweets, a bit of discussion about how great it would be to see him return, and all of a sudden he's second favourite. Had we done the same with Eddie Ferns, it would have been a similar outcome.

The bookies market so far appears to be based solely on folks chat on Twitter. Ie, I say I want Simmy to get the job, it gets a few retweets, a bit of discussion about how great it would be to see him return, and all of a sudden he's second favourite. Had we done the same with Eddie Ferns, it would have been a similar outcome.

You have to try out your theory by getting someone really random on to the bookies lists. Although I suppose someone's gonna have to place a bet on them too.

Jose Quitongo 8-1 :)

There's a penny to be made here, lads.

Quick, everyone on to Twitter and claim Eddie's a shoo-in. When he's odds-on, we all pile on to Eddie not to get the job. If we can get Mike involved, we could be signing Ronaldo before the month's out.

Alright, maybe just Stevie May back on a cheeky loaner :ph34r:

Fair enough - where did it go so wrong with Lennon though?

When he was forced to implement a mass squad turnover- we initially had a small squad of players, really good quality but most guaranteed their game every week regardless. Danny Lennon used the budget to try and put together a larger squad, so there was competition for places in every position. This didn't work out, as yes we can shuffle the pack but there is clearly a drop in quality in some key areas.

I don't think his lengthy holiday made any difference. All of those key guys were leaving. The only one who may have stayed was Buchanan, who turned down a few offers but took the full time gig with barely any travel time.

Danny's training sessions were really interesting to watch, and obviously knows his game well. But they were intense, and I think it was hard to implement what he was trying to put across having the players only two nights a week. In a lot of games against teams of decent quality, I think the players struggled to follow his instructions at times. There was also appeared to be reduced focus on fitness from the previous regimes.

I think Danny Lennon is a good manager, and he will definitely be back managing a full time club. It just didn't happen for him at Alloa, as he was forced to make big changes that unfortunately haven't worked out in terms of results.

You have to try out your theory by getting someone really random on to the bookies lists. Although I suppose someone's gonna have to place a bet on them too.

Jose Quitongo 8-1 :)

Another one we were laughing about last night was "sky sources say Michael Chopra could get the Alloa job" when local reporter Graeme Lafferty has already made the link 12 hours previously and gone so far as to interview Chopra about it. Even Graeme didn't realise he was on the Sky payroll.