The Alloa Athletic Thread

10 hours ago, printer said:

Complete rubbish. He's already used a number of different formations.

We are going through a bad spell, but we have a good squad and I expect us to make the play offs.

Utter pish. 1 up front every single game. 4-5-1 same old every week regardless of the score the previous week

3 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I'd like to see Scotty Hynd getting a run of games over Isaac, and probably Baldy as well. Hardly ever gets a proper run-out, but seems to do a decent job when called upon. Can't say I'm bothered that Luke Donnelly's away either. Didn't do much in the games I saw him in, and seemed a bit awkward.

If the boss maintains his current disciplinary streak, he won't have to worry too much about playing in the second half of the season.

You lay off the drugs. You obviously don't have a clue, Hynd and Isaac defo not good enough

54 minutes ago, Scottishlad01 said:

You lay off the drugs. You obviously don't have a clue, Hynd and Isaac defo not good enough

I don't think I've ever seen him play a full game for us, outside of the Development League. We've seen plenty of Isaac and Longworth, neither of whom have set the world on fire, so it doesn't seem a revolutionary idea that a relatively unknown quantity would be given opportunities over them. What's your idea for our front line, given the current squad?

Utter pish. 1 up front every single game. 4-5-1 same old every week regardless of the score the previous week

Played two up front against Stenny and East Fife in a 4-4-2. Played a back three against Albion Rovers at home. That's a plan B AND a plan C.

10 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I don't think I've ever seen him play a full game for us, outside of the Development League. We've seen plenty of Isaac and Longworth, neither of whom have set the world on fire, so it doesn't seem a revolutionary idea that a relatively unknown quantity would be given opportunities over them. What's your idea for our front line, given the current squad?

I agree about Isaac and Longworth, don't think either should be anywhere near the first team. I've seen Hynd in a few development games and from what I've seen he's not got it. The boy ld on loan from Celtic looked like he had good ability more than majority of first 11 but 10 mins here and there is no use to anyone so don't know how he would have turned out. We defo need to get a decent striker in at new year. 

I agree about Isaac and Longworth, don't think either should be anywhere near the first team. I've seen Hynd in a few development games and from what I've seen he's not got it. The boy ld on loan from Celtic looked like he had good ability more than majority of first 11 but 10 mins here and there is no use to anyone so don't know how he would have turned out. We defo need to get a decent striker in at new year. 

Pretty sure he's scoring 30 goals each season for the development team? I've no seen him play there but that's some goal return for a player "who's not got it".

3 hours ago, printer said:

Played two up front against Stenny and East Fife in a 4-4-2. Played a back three against Albion Rovers at home. That's a plan B AND a plan C.

I missed they games so I can't comment but any games I have got to this season have been 4-5-1 from jack Ross to "elbows" Goodwin! The team were playing much better under jack Ross and have took a massive step backwards since he left

5 hours ago, Scottishlad01 said:

Not a wind up merchant just honest opinions. I think a few people on here have the blinkers on too much

Fair enough- difference of opinion is all good. Not sure the personal jibes are really necessary though, which is why I thought you were fishing.

20 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:
8 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:
8 hours ago, printer said:

Against stenny you started with 1 upfront. 

East fife you started with 2 upon that occasion as Kirkpatrick was dropped due to being honkey against Q.O.S

The fact is quite clear that there is no real change in tactics, no allowing subs etc the opportunity to come on and retain match fitness or impress 

The teams fairly decent until the final third, too many people reckon spence is a great player to have upfront on his own. And of course hes scoring goals so its difficult to argue. But this is the same Spence who got released a few seasons ago, and the same spence who cant/wont head a ball and simply lives off scraps.

Many games this season Alloa have dominated but lost because the full backs are putting balls in the box and Spence wont attack the ball. 

But he scrapes up a goal here and there without doing too much, and keeps his position in the team and its the same old shite week in week out.

So there isnt a plan b or c unless someone is sent off or injured and changes are forced upon the team, which is why other teams catch on to the alloa way of playing and counter it.

5 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Pretty sure he's scoring 30 goals each season for the development team? I've no seen him play there but that's some goal return for a player "who's not got it".

Your development team is no better than boys club football, there is a step up to be made. 

Longworth is a much better option with a proven track record at this level

On 20/11/2016 at 09:37, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

What are we insinuating here?

He should have subbed himself off at half time absolutely.Heard quite a lot of crazy stuff coming out of the ground last night so no surprise really it's creeping onto the web.

you could see it coming from the stands any way, that he really should have stayed off and subbed himself , i really did see it coming and it was not clairvoyance but obvious to me and probably a good few others !!

2 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

you could see it coming from the stands any way, that he really should have stayed off and subbed himself , i really did see it coming and it was not clairvoyance but obvious to me and probably a good few others !!

Yes, as did I, completely agree with you on that 100%. I think had Holmes been on the bench then it was surely a certainty he wouldn't come out for second half. Personnel problems possibly dictated his decision to stay on. I was more referring to the "fear being lifted" comment.

Just now, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Yes, as did I, completely agree with you on that 100%. I think had Holmes been on the bench then it was surely a certainty he wouldn't come out for second half. Personnel problems possibly dictated his decision to stay on. I was more referring to the "fear being lifted" comment.

ok got ya , funnily enough though an airdrie fan has came on here and said the same thing !!!

On 20/11/2016 at 13:14, Pesadilla said:

For me, Goodwin is your problem. You looked better when he went off yesterday - seemed like the fear had been lifted from your players. He's clearly done as a player and seems more intent in showing he's a hard man than actually playing any football.

Alloa seem to have gone into a bit of a decline since he took over. Strange as you'd think he has the attributes to be a good manager and you've clearly got a decent squad.

I fully expect Alloa, Airdrie and one of Peterhead and Brechin to be contesting the promotion play off places. But there is a real danger that Goodwin could singlehandedly ruin your chances.

!!

17 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

!!

Yeah and on the basis of one game where it was far from Goodwin's best day, I can see that assumption being made. But watching week in week out it's fairly apparent it's inaccurate.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

9 hours ago, Scottishlad01 said:

Have you seen the standard in that development league?? I don't think u have so back to bed

3 hours ago, Dickturpin1 said:

Your development team is no better than boys club football, there is a step up to be made. 

Longworth is a much better option with a proven track record at this level

The development league either east,west or elite is all subjective as the teams chop and change each week as some teams play there full allocation of over age players and  a keeper ,5 first team boys and keeper against 17 or 18 year old boys their is  only going to be one winner  

Alloa do have a very young development team and I have seen a lot of them this season and watched them beat Dundee 3-1 who are mostly full time

As I said if they are up against an older team they will struggle when I have seen them

Only me opinion but the most consistent out of the fringe players is Lewis Wilson in the development  squad and he  nevers gets a start for Alloa ,far better than Hynd,Hogie,Martin.

Edited by holsten