The Alloa Athletic Thread

12 hours ago, falkirkwasp said:

Could be worse we could have signed simon mensing emoji23.png.

Big Mackin was coming good towards his time at Airdrie especially when partnered by Lister in a 442 and not being played as a target man.   Big guy is powerful and IMO would become a 20 goal a season man easily at this level.   Just depends if he's ready and in the right situation.

Re. Mensing,  No one is more mortified than me, but he could be a curious case of an "ugly duckling" for us.   We have a ugly, strange, peculiar shaped missing piece in our jigsaw.   Defence seriously lacks an experienced leader, organiser at set pieces, almost a coach/mentor on the pitch.   We have enough pace, passing ability, etc around him.   Even if Mensing looks like a 34 y/o he might actually be the missing piece, as ugly and gut wrenching as it sounds.

Good luck with Mackin.   If he's developed as I think you will have a great prospect on your hands.

re: Mackin, it'll be interesting to see how he gets on. Craigan has really high hopes for him. I know he didn't seem to have that great a time at Airdrie last season but I think that was his first proper run of first team football and it'd have taken him a while to find his feet.

Initially he just seemed like a big lump to hit, he wasn't the most mobile but he looks like he's lost a bit of weight and really seems to have worked on the all round aspects of his game. He's been a prolific scorer for our u20s and is a natural and instinctive finisher but he seems to have improved a lot in terms of his hold up play.

Much like Dom Thomas who's out on loan at QotS I don't think there's really that much challenge in u20s football for Mackin now, he's been scoring week in, week out at that level consistently for the past few seasons. If he's going to develop further he needs first team games and with Moult and McDonald at Fir Park it's unlikely he'll get any meaningful game time at Fir Park at the moment.

He scores a hat-trick for our 20s vs Dunfermline u20 in the video below (his penalty is saved 1st) his finish for the 2nd is worth a watch. Genuinely hope he does well for Alloa.

All the best for the rest of the season.

6 minutes ago, Redwedge77 said:

We really need to turn our form round or we will be in the relegation playoff League 1 Form Guide
Pts Last 6

E Fife 14
Livi 12
Albion R 10
Queens P 10
Stenny 9
Peterhead 9
Alloa 8
Brechin 6
Stranraer 4
Airdrie 4

Pretty incredible that 2nd-4th in the league are occupying 3 of the bottom 4 spots in the form table.

Over the last 6 games, we've made up 6 points on Alloa, 8 on Brechin and 10 on Airdrie!