Couple of Edinburgh Queries

Mouse

I'll be down in Edinburgh on Thurs from 2pm for the Manics gig before heading off around 6pm the next day to the next Manics gig (Barrowlands :)). 3 quick questions:

- Before the gig are there any decent boozers near the Corn Exchange, or go with my initial thoughts, head to Rose Street, little pub crawl then taxi to venue?

- Any good clubs or bars on a Thursday night? I'll be on my own so nowhere where I will look like a total tool ;)

- Where is the cheapest and most central place to park the car for 8 hours? Previous city centre car parks I've used were horrendously expensive plus I'm a tight Aberdonian. As I need to vacate my hotel by 10am on the Friday, I don't need to leave Edinburgh until 6pm for Glasgow

If only I remembered about the rescheduled game on Weds then I would have went down a night earlier for the Hearts / Aberdeen game *doh*

I'll be down in Edinburgh on Thurs from 2pm for the Manics gig before heading off around 6pm the next day to the next Manics gig (Barrowlands :)). 3 quick questions:

- Before the gig are there any decent boozers near the Corn Exchange, or go with my initial thoughts, head to Rose Street, little pub crawl then taxi to venue?

- Any good clubs or bars on a Thursday night? I'll be on my own so nowhere where I will look like a total tool ;)

- Where is the cheapest and most central place to park the car for 8 hours? Previous city centre car parks I've used were horrendously expensive plus I'm a tight Aberdonian. As I need to vacate my hotel by 10am on the Friday, I don't need to leave Edinburgh until 6pm for Glasgow

If only I remembered about the rescheduled game on Weds then I would have went down a night earlier for the Hearts / Aberdeen game *doh*

Park outside the city center and bus it. It's cheaper and the buses are good

I'd park in a street beside the Corn Exchange, its free there then walk/get the number 35 bus into town.

Pubs around the Corn Exchange are pretty balls, you'd be better off getting drunk in town or somewhere like Fountainbridge / Haymarket.

If you're getting huckled out your hotel by 10 (seems early) then you might not want to be driving if you're on it the night before and Edinburgh taxi's are a bit of an eye opener. Probably worth parking near the Corn Exchange (or somewhere outside the permit area) and getting the bus (or taxi) as Bobby says. If you're on your own for drinkies then there's loads of boozers in town, I don't know if you'll be looking to pull or just fancy a couple but you've got options aplenty, maybe if you let the Edinburger boys know your plans for pubs/clubs they can help you out, I'm an 'out of towner' myself now so not Edinburgh 'street'. Have a good night anyway mate.

Pretty sure your best option if you want to drink near the corn exchange is asda.

On the car thing, your check out time may be 10 but you may get away with leaving the car their for longer, that's probably worth trying, otherwise as said i'd probably leave it near the corn exchange.

I will be seeking pubs of the variety with old man ales ;) Found Clerk's Bar on Facebook which looks decent and is near my hotel, have a couple there then head to Rose Street, then taxi to Corn Exchange around 7

I will be seeking pubs of the variety with old man ales ;) Found Clerk's Bar on Facebook which looks decent and is near my hotel, have a couple there then head to Rose Street, then taxi to Corn Exchange around 7

I presume this is the new Clerk's Bar on Clerk Street at Newington ? Only opened a couple of weeks ago.

You staying at the Travelodge at Cameron Toll ?

• 1 year later...

Bumping this rather than starting another Edinburgh thread.

I apparently need to treat Mrs Mozza to a night out in Edinburgh (staying over as well apparently) because we've been married for a set length of time deemed by society to be "an achievement" (the achievement is that I havent dumped her in the Tay yet).

Need suggestions on:

1. Decent fancy hotel.

2. Decent fancy restaurant.

I dont want to spend too much on her as Im not guaranteed that she'll put out that night.

Mid march.

The Balmoral or The Caledonian (now called the Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh). Might get a deal for that time of year - not cheap but should be good for upping the likelihood of a bit of good lovin'.

http://chaophraya.co.uk/ for a meal is a good one for feeling like a bit of an event. Usually some very suspect characters in barely-there dresses propping up the bar too.

ETA - ps, you can park outside my place and I'll mind yer car for £1.

ETA - Hotel Du Vin maybe worth a look too

I've stayed here a couple of times - thought it was absolutely superb, extremely comfortable and astonishingly good value. Perfect location right in the middle of Princes St.

http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/scotland/lothian/edinburgh/edinburgh-city-centre-princes-street.html

Spoiled for choice for restaurants around that area too. As you would be saving so much on your accommodation you can put the boat out a bit at this place which is just about across the road from your hotel :

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186525-d720180-Reviews-Number_One_at_The_Balmoral-Edinburgh_Scotland.html

There's some beautiful wee apartments that you can rent in Dean Village, which is down the West End and about 10/15 minutes from Princes Street. Much nicer than a standard hotel room and probably still cheaper than a night in the Waldorf Astoria or Caledonian. Much quieter too. Here's an example of one: https://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/dean-village/5775617

Jamie's Italian is a great restaurant and isn' too expensive. If you want to bring your car you can park it in my space at Haymarket for a wee donation, too ;)

Archived