The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

That’s the biggest worry.

The win in Stavanger last season was an excellent result, but despite the Covid shenanigans, the team still had half a dozen fixtures behind them.

If the team are as hopelessly undercooked as they were in fixture 1 last season vs Sevco - there is no chance.

The Cove fixture being cancelled means they are already behind the curve on that one.

50 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

The win in Stavanger last season was an excellent result, but despite the Covid shenanigans, the team still had half a dozen fixtures behind them.

If the team are as hopelessly undercooked as they were in fixture 1 last season vs Sevco - there is no chance.

The Cove fixture being cancelled means they are already behind the curve on that one.

You’d have thought they’d try & fit in another game to make up for Cove cancelling on us. 

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

The team was a shambles for the first league game last season. Pre season was a joke

Just now, Thenorthernlight said:

Isn’t this season panning out the same? 
Two games before Hacken, a team who are at peak fitness & well in to their season. 

Possibly.

The contrast with Sevco who had played a few glamour friendlies was vast, and it was an opportunity gone to get at them first game at home. 

13 minutes ago, big al said:

Possibly.

The contrast with Sevco who had played a few glamour friendlies was vast, and it was an opportunity gone to get at them first game at home. 

I’d be concerned about the pressure & criticism Glass would get right at the start of the season should we go out to Hacken, which is probably a 50/50 game IMO. 

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Isn’t this season panning out the same? 
Two games before Hacken, a team who are at peak fitness & well in to their season. 

I could be wrong here but I think we couldn't even play 11 v 11 in training last pre season. Should be able to this year.

I know we hadn't been linked to him in some time but that's Jackson Irvine signed for St Pauli so another name scratched off as far as possibles go.

Edited by Rodhull

19 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

I know we hadn't been linked to him in some time but that's Jackson Irvine signed for St Pauli so another name scratched off as far as possibles go.

It was the last position we needed to add to in any case.

Centre half, winger & another striker are priority 

9 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

It was the last position we needed to add to in any case.

Centre half, winger & another striker are priority 

No doubt. Possibly going for Irvine would only have happened if Ferguson had gone when there was talk of it weeks back.

Guest Bob Mahelp
On 03/07/2021 at 15:48, RandomGuy. said:

I mean, hes apparently been approached by Bournemouth, so I'm not sure what appeal Aberdeen would hold. Theres literally nothing left for him to achieve in Scotland, and I'd guess once we're out of Europe he'll be away down South.

Not quite true. Does he have any international caps ? 

With all respect to St Johnstone, despite winning 2 cups there isn't a single one of your players anywhere near an international call up. It's unlikely Saints will have as succesful a season next year, and the profile of all your players will sink. 

You may not agree with me, but Aberdeen have a far higher profile than St Johnstone. Kerr in a more succesful Aberdeen side (I know, I know) would be far more likely to be called up for Scotland. 

Don't get me wrong, if he goes on to Bournemouth I hope he has a long career with many caps. Equally, there's a chance that he could disappear into their reserves and be forgotten about. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

11 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It's unlikely Saints will have as succesful a season next year.

You'd think folk would learn, tbh. 

There's as much chance of Stephen Glass being an absolute clownshoe and taking you into the bottom half as there of Aberdeen winning a trophy.

In all seriousness though, Kerr wants to have a go at English football and earn caps. He's at the prime age to go try it down South, and if it fails he'll likely get an Aberdeen/Hibs contract in a few years anyway. I don't see why he'd spend another 2/3 years up here. How many 27yo players move to England and make it up the tiers?

Edited by RandomGuy.

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You'd think folk would learn, tbh. 

There's as much chance of Stephen Glass being an absolute clownshoe and taking you into the bottom half as there of Aberdeen winning a trophy.

In all seriousness though, Kerr wants to have a go at English football and earn caps. He's at the prime age to go try it down South, and if it fails he'll likely get an Aberdeen/Hibs contract in a few years anyway. I don't see why he'd spend another 2/3 years up here. How many 27yo players move to England and make it up the tiers?

All that is fair enough, but it doesn't really address the point I made...which was to directly discuss your statement, 'there's literally nothing for him to achieve in Scotland'. 

There is. The chance of international caps with a higher profile club, because short of Saints winning the league it looks unlikely that any of your players will get the international recognition that a few of them probably deserve. 

That's not to say that I don't agree with him challenging himself in the Championship, and I honestly wish him well, but IF he had went to Aberdeen I would still suggest that he would have had opportunities to progress his career. 

8 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

All that is fair enough, but it doesn't really address the point I made...which was to directly discuss your statement, 'there's literally nothing for him to achieve in Scotland'. 

There is. The chance of international caps.

I was meaning in terms of actual success, so hadn't even considered caps tbh. Suspect he'll be bumped up the order as soon as he leaves us regardless of the club, would be about the 4th instance of a young Scot leaving us then making the next squad.

Fairly convinced his next move will be England, not convinced he'll be a huge success though, and wouldn't be stunned to see him playing in the league again before he's 30. Probably depends on the club he joins.

McCart is the better player, and I'm never sure why Aberdeen never poached the Championship more under McInnes. Like you could quite easily have signed McCart, Rooney, Regan Hendry, Nisbet and Shankland after they stood out in that division. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

MCart is the better player, and I'm never sure why Aberdeen never poached the Championship more under McInnes. Like you could quite easily have signed McCart, Rooney, Regan Hendry, Nisbet and Shankland after they stood out in that division. 

He took a few young players from the lower leagues but can't think of one regular he signed.

Derek's transfer policy was beyond baffling at times. There's a myth he never gave youth a chance. He did. The issue was they better hit the ground running or that's it while Curtis Main etc get loads of chances.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

He took a few young players from the lower leagues but can't think of one regular he signed.

Derek's transfer policy was beyond baffling at times. There's a myth he never gave youth a chance. He did. The issue was they better hit the ground running or that's it while Curtis Main etc get loads of chances.

Seemed like he was stuck in a mindset where if Aberdeen were signing the best players from the clubs around them, they'd always finish 3rd, with an added dose of only signing players "proven" in the top flight. Like he'd see a Main scoring 5 top flight goals and value that higher than someone scoring 15 in the Championship.

I mean it obviously worked, but it definitely has a shelf life as you won't manage to do that every season. 

If any of these st johnstone players can get a gig in the epl or championship then its a no brainer to go for it. I'd only be picking an Aberdeen or Hibs if it was versus League One and League Two clubs

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I was meaning in terms of actual success, so hadn't even considered caps tbh. Suspect he'll be bumped up the order as soon as he leaves us regardless of the club, would be about the 4th instance of a young Scot leaving us then making the next squad.

Fairly convinced his next move will be England, not convinced he'll be a huge success though, and wouldn't be stunned to see him playing in the league again before he's 30. Probably depends on the club he joins.

McCart is the better player, and I'm never sure why Aberdeen never poached the Championship more under McInnes. Like you could quite easily have signed McCart, Rooney, Regan Hendry, Nisbet and Shankland after they stood out in that division. 

McInnes' policy of signing 'proven' players from the Scottish top division was really the only thing he could do to mitigate the fact that he was catastrophically bad at spotting a player (or more accurately the entire recruitment set-up at the club was catastrophically bad).

Perfect example of this was the summer when McLean and McGinn were both available for small fees, McInnes went for McLean. Now Kenny McLean is a great player, but I don't see the likes of Liverpool lining up with £60m + transfer fees for him.

That's the thing that gives me the most hope for the Glass era; they're doing the right things behind the scenes. Of course if they don't get it right on the park, then Glass will be gone in fairly short order.

1 hour ago, Illgresi said:

McInnes' policy of signing 'proven' players from the Scottish top division was really the only thing he could do to mitigate the fact that he was catastrophically bad at spotting a player (or more accurately the entire recruitment set-up at the club was catastrophically bad).

Perfect example of this was the summer when McLean and McGinn were both available for small fees, McInnes went for McLean. Now Kenny McLean is a great player, but I don't see the likes of Liverpool lining up with £60m + transfer fees for him.

That's the thing that gives me the most hope for the Glass era; they're doing the right things behind the scenes. Of course if they don't get it right on the park, then Glass will be gone in fairly short order.

McLean was signed in the January window rather than the summer. Saying that though I was amazed that none of the Premiership teams went for Mcginn when he became available.

Funnily enough I didn't think he would necessarily get a game for us at the time as our midfield was pretty good. As you say though I wonder if McInnes would have looked at him if he hadn't already signed McLean.