The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I dunno. The folk who think the man on the pitch wearing an armband makes a difference will be delighted.

I am in that camp - albeit having 3 or 4 natural leaders is better.

The team were a rudderless bunch at times over the last couple of seasons, and this would seem to be a no-brainer.

25 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I am in that camp - albeit having 3 or 4 natural leaders is better.

The team were a rudderless bunch at times over the last couple of seasons, and this would seem to be a no-brainer.

He doesn't need a bit of elastic on his arm to tell folk what to do though.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course but it's more of an off field position anyway which is why Lewis will still be doing that part of it as Brown is on the coaching staff.

16 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

He doesn't need a bit of elastic on his arm to tell folk what to do though.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course but it's more of an off field position anyway which is why Lewis will still be doing that part of it as Brown is on the coaching staff.

He might need a bit of elastic on his arm to persuade people to listen though. 

39 minutes ago, coprolite said:

He might need a bit of elastic on his arm to persuade people to listen though. 

I'd doubt it.

Former United captain Keane has now explained how Maguire should approach his new role.

"It's all about the team. Don't be distracted by it, by the captaincy, enjoy it. You don't need the armband to be a leader but he does seem very proud of it,"  Keane told Sky Sports ahead of the clash against Liverpool.

That's coming from the man thought of as one of the best captains British football has ever seen.

I'd doubt it.

Former United captain Keane has now explained how Maguire should approach his new role.

"It's all about the team. Don't be distracted by it, by the captaincy, enjoy it. You don't need the armband to be a leader but he does seem very proud of it,"  Keane told Sky Sports ahead of the clash against Liverpool.

That's coming from the man thought of as one of the best captains British football has ever seen.

We were a better unit with Shinnie as captain. Hartley made a difference
The wee bit of elastic gives a little bit of leeway when arguing with the ref.
Anderson, Lewis, Considine aren't captains.
I dare say we will get more positive decisions with Brown

20 minutes ago, scoobles said:

We were a better unit with Shinnie as captain. Hartley made a difference
The wee bit of elastic gives a little bit of leeway when arguing with the ref.
Anderson, Lewis, Considine aren't captains.
I dare say we will get more positive decisions with Brown

Yeah one argument I'm onboard with is it gives you a chance to get the ref on board.

It's more or less off field duties though.

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

It's more or less off field duties though.

A captain leads by example on the pitch if he's doing the job right and the positive effect that good captain can have on his team was epitomised in Euro2020 by Giorgio Chiellini.

Did you ever see Willie Miller play for Aberdeen?

4 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

A captain leads by example on the pitch if he's doing the job right and the positive effect that good captain can have on his team was epitomised in Euro2020 by Giorgio Chiellini.

Did you ever see Willie Miller play for Aberdeen?

What evidence is there of the positive effect a captains performance had on his teammates? Seems hard to imagine his teammates having any different reaction to Chiellini's good performances depending on whether he was captain or not.

1 minute ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Would we receive a development fee if he joins a side in England.

I thought it was only if he signed for another Scottish team?

I can never remember the details of this but I think we got something when Archie Mair signed for Norwich and I think Motherwell did for Campbell going to Luton so possibly. Obviously not much I guess.

Guest Bob Mahelp
5 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

What evidence is there of the positive effect a captains performance had on his teammates? Seems hard to imagine his teammates having any different reaction to Chiellini's good performances depending on whether he was captain or not.

3 of the worst captains I can remember were handed the armband simply as an incentive to get them to sign a new contract. 

Foster, Jack and Lewis. All of them uninspiring leaders. I also reckon that pretty much every succesful football club the world over has/has had a captain who leads. 

Just saying like. 

7 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Sdrammatizzare

9 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Would we receive a development fee if he joins a side in England.

I thought it was only if he signed for another Scottish team?

Assuming you offered him a contract then yes, you get a development fee. No idea why you'd think it was only if he signed for another Scottish team.

We got £500k from Leeds for Erwin, we negotiated a fee from Luton for Campbell.

7 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

3 of the worst captains I can remember were handed the armband simply as an incentive to get them to sign a new contract. 

Foster, Jack and Lewis. All of them uninspiring leaders. I also reckon that pretty much every succesful football club the world over has/has had a captain who leads. 

Just saying like. 

And yet moving from a poor captain in Jack to a good captain in Shinnie didn't make much of a difference in the clubs success or moving on to another poor captain in Lewis either.

I'm not arguing over who was or wasn't a good captain as unless a captain does something to majorly f**k up I don't think the fans are in much of a position to judge.

I just don't think someone being a 'good captain' is the boost to the whole team that people make it out to be. It seems to be a largely UK belief whereas abroad they often just give it to the best player in the team whether they're the run about shouting or beat the chest type or not.