The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I saw a post on the hat after the first leg that read "somewhere in a darkened room Derek McInnes is rocking back and forth and mumbling that he could have seen that game out at 1-0".

Obviously a bit over the top but it seems to be night and day between the two managers. Derek probably rushes a defender on at 2-0 and we shitfest our way to a win. Probably does see it out at 0-0 last night but with some real eye bleeding stuff.

It's definitely a change. I mean, we could have seen out last night 0-0 under McInnes, but we could also have had another Apollon Limassol where we don't really create anything and concede twice anyway. At least last night, although there are legitimate questions over the goals we conceded, we had the number and quality of chances created to cling on to from the 90 minutes.

Guest Bob Mahelp
13 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I saw a post on the hat after the first leg that read "somewhere in a darkened room Derek McInnes is rocking back and forth and mumbling that he could have seen that game out at 1-0".

Obviously a bit over the top but it seems to be night and day between the two managers. Derek probably rushes a defender on at 2-0 and we shitfest our way to a win. Probably does see it out at 0-0 last night but with some real eye bleeding stuff.

Aye, that's probably all true....but enormously unfair.  McInnes gave us some of our best European nights in almost 35 years (the one Jimmy year aside). 

Took us from having no European pedigree at all, to beating a top Dutch team away from home, and stuffing Rijeka...who had hardly lost a European game at home, ever....also away from home. 

It's easy to have a go at McInnes, but his European record wasn't bad at all considering. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

If you’re backs against the wall, you’re conceding needless set pieces around your own area and/or quality chances then it’s not managing a game. You’re just clinging on. 

Too often in the latter days of Derek that’s what ‘game management’ looked like. 

I have absolutely no issue with seeing out a lead but ultimately you should still be in control of the flow of the game even if you’ve conceded territory or possession. 2-0 against Hibs at home last season was a classic example of how to do it right.

9 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Aye, that's probably all true....but enormously unfair.  McInnes gave us some of our best European nights in almost 35 years (the one Jimmy year aside). 

Took us from having no European pedigree at all, to beating a top Dutch team away from home, and stuffing Rijeka...who had hardly lost a European game at home, ever....also away from home. 

It's easy to have a go at McInnes, but his European record wasn't bad at all considering. 

Derek was a very good manager for Aberdeen. Unfortunately he had a tendency to overthink things when he wasn't the best tactically. It was usually the same XI, you'd maybe get one or two changes but just playing a different formation. Now it looks like we're going in to the game with several plans depending on how the game unfolds. If Glass is half the man manager that McInnes is then we'll be laughing.

Derek had some fantastic results in Europe. No-one can deny him that. It got worse as the years rolled on though. The one legged ties seemed to suit us well last year and I've no doubt that he'd have been even more successful if every European game was played over one leg.

Edited by Merkland Red

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

If you’re backs against the wall, you’re conceding needless set pieces around your own area and/or quality chances then it’s not managing a game. You’re just clinging on. 

Too often in the latter days of Derek that’s what ‘game management’ looked like. 

I have absolutely no issue with seeing out a lead but ultimately you should still be in control of the flow of the game even if you’ve conceded territory or possession. 2-0 against Hibs at home last season was a classic example of how to do it right.

One of the best examples from last season was probably a defeat, IMO. At home to Hibs. Hibs scored a very good goal after we missed a few chances then just played the game out. We would still be playing that out at 0-1 just now.

11 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

TBF I haven't seen anybody slate his record home or abroad. Style of play / entertainment is a different discussion.

Edited by TommyDickFingers
dickfingers

Guest Bob Mahelp
29 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Derek was a very good manager for Aberdeen. Unfortunately he had a tendency to overthink things when he wasn't the best tactically. It was usually the same XI, you'd maybe get one or two changes but just playing a different formation. Now it looks like we're going in to the game with several plans depending on how the game unfolds. If Glass is half the man manager that McInnes is then we'll be laughing.

Derek had some fantastic results in Europe. No-one can deny him that. It got worse as the years rolled on though. The one legged ties seemed to suit us well last year and I've no doubt that he'd have been even more successful if every European game was played over one leg.

Just out of interest, where have you seen that about ? 

Glass took over from McInnes and almost nothing changed. The results were still indifferent. We've played 2 games this season and were great in one (for 80 minutes), and fairly up and down in the second, which we lost. 

Aberdeen under Glass have stood out in 2 games as far as I remember.....at home to Celtic and Hacken....where we played excatly the same sort of high tempo game both times. 

It's not a criticism, just a genuine question. Where do you see evidence that Glass has more than a Plan A, in any game ? 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Just out of interest, where have you seen that about ? 

Glass took over from McInnes and almost nothing changed. The results were still indifferent. We've played 2 games this season and were great in one (for 80 minutes), and fairly up and dowen in the seocnd, which we lost. 

Aberdeen under Glass have stood out in 2 games as far as I remember.....at home to Celtic and Hacken....where we played excatly the same sort of high tempo game both times. 

It's not a criticism, just a genuine question. Where do you evidence that Glass has more than a Plan A, in any game ? 

I'm not sure if this is a trick question but I'll answer anyway.

Under Derek we played a man marking system. It was very rigid. At times we had a forward running from full back to full back chasing the ball whilst everyone else moved around following one player. From what I've seen of Glass it's a fluid system where we press as a team. It's not about plan a, plan b etc it's about adapting and reacting to how the opposition move the ball so we can force them in to a mistake and counter.

Things absolutely changed under Glass, but results were still indifferent. He took over another mans team that looked to be lacking in confidence and fitness and the different to see after several months is clear. Rangers away you could argue we were the better team. We missed two of the biggest sitters you are going to see against a team that steamrolled almost everything put in front of them domestically.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm not sure if this is a trick question but I'll answer anyway.

Under Derek we played a man marking system. It was very rigid. At times we had a forward running from full back to full back chasing the ball whilst everyone else moved around following one player. From what I've seen of Glass it's a fluid system where we press as a team. It's not about plan a, plan b etc it's about adapting and reacting to how the opposition move the ball so we can force them in to a mistake and counter.

Things absolutely changed under Glass, but results were still indifferent. He took over another mans team that looked to be lacking in confidence and fitness and the different to see after several months is clear. Rangers away you could argue we were the better team. We missed two of the biggest sitters you are going to see against a team that steamrolled almost everything put in front of them domestically.

It's not a trick question. We're just looking at things in a different way. 

I agree, we're playing a different way under Glass, but I haven't seen any evidence yet of flexibility to react to circumstances. I see Aberdeen playing a certain way, and if it doesn't go well, I haven't really seen anything to suggest that we adapt to change that. Maybe it'll come as we play more games. 

We were a bawhair away from losing the plot last night at 2-0 down, and were saved more by a stupid red card than by any tactical genius on our part. In fact, in our most humiliating result under Glass.....the 3-0 cup defeat.....he changed nothing tactically or personnel-wise until we were 3-0 down. 

I'm not criticising. I hope and trust that we'll become a better team. I just don't see what you're seeing so far. 

23 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Think it was JJ that coined the Scottish Mourinho thing about Derek.

“The idea is that you wait for someone else to make a mistake: rather than having the ball and being vulnerable yourself, you sit back and wait for your opponents to make mistakes. If you have good players, if you’re better than your opponents, you tend to win games."

26 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It's not a trick question. We're just looking at things in a different way. 

I agree, we're playing a different way under Glass, but I haven't seen any evidence yet of flexibility to react to circumstances. I see Aberdeen playing a certain way, and if it doesn't go well, I haven't really seen anything to suggest that we adapt to change that. Maybe it'll come as we play more games. 

We were a bawhair away from losing the plot last night at 2-0 down, and were saved more by a stupid red card than by any tactical genius on our part. In fact, in our most humiliating result under Glass.....the 3-0 cup defeat.....he changed nothing tactically or personnel-wise until we were 3-0 down. 

I'm not criticising. I hope and trust that we'll become a better team. I just don't see what you're seeing so far. 

We were a bawhair away from equalising too though. I genuinely thought we had enough chances to win that game last night. I certainly didn't turn it off thinking we'd had a doing. As Ebbe would say "the operation was a success but the patient died."

It's been two games with a team you could almost call his. Surely we'd have to give him at least a round of league games before we say he can't adapt if it's not going well?