The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

42 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Not sure that's 100% fair. He was outstanding against TSMSTID. He's got flaws that need worked on, but at times he's been absolutely superb there. The issue for me is, can he be more effective further forward?

To be fair he’s been better than Considine I’d say. 

1 hour ago, Illgresi said:

Jack MacKenzie is an absolute baller. So strong, quick enough, defensively superb, comfortable on the ball. If he can add a bit of flair in the final 3rd he'll be an absolute monster.

He just needs to improve on the attacking side IMO. 

His first instinct is to turn back or inside when on the ball. 
A run in the team will increase his confidence and hopefully means he believes he can be an attacking option on the left too. 

4 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

He just needs to improve on the attacking side IMO. 

His first instinct is to turn back or inside when on the ball. 
A run in the team will increase his confidence and hopefully means he believes he can be an attacking option on the left too. 

That said, he does have an assist already this season. He's comfortable with ball at his feet, but he's not a dribbler like Ramsay. I don't think we'll necessarily ever see him taking players on (except maybe in a foot race), but he's actually decent enough at crossing. No reason he can't pass the ball inside and bomb on, pick the ball up at the edge of the box and put a ball in. He can certainly contribute that way.

I loved his dig at the end when he was clearly blowing out his hoop, but still got back to put a wee foul on the boy to break up a last gasp Breidablik counter.

2 hours ago, Illgresi said:

Jack MacKenzie is an absolute baller. So strong, quick enough, defensively superb, comfortable on the ball. If he can add a bit of flair in the final 3rd he'll be an absolute monster.

Wild when you consider he was definitely out the door until the switch in gaffer.

3 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

McManus just scored a hattrick for Total Network Solutions vs Viktoria Plzen in a 4-2 win in Wale..... err England!

Should never have let him go!!

Was it not Illgresi saying that we never get an easy draw in Europe when one of the possible opponents was Viktoria Plzen, and now one of these losers that McInnes got rid of has scored a hat-trick against this elite mob.

I would say of mccrorie that he can play centre half very well but he’s not a ‘natural defender’ to use a boring football cliche. 

I just think we leave ourselves a little too vulnerable with him and considine. I’d actually like to see us give a run to mccrorie and Gallagher back there. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I would say of mccrorie that he can play centre half very well but he’s not a ‘natural defender’ to use a boring football cliche. 

I just think we leave ourselves a little too vulnerable with him and considine. I’d actually like to see us give a run to mccrorie and Gallagher back there. 

Personally I'd like to see the Scotland International partnership of Gallagher and Considine.

7 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Lack of pace and ball playing ability IMO. 

Gallagher with McCrorie would be better, I think. 

Agreed, Gallagher can compensate for McCrorie's relatively limited physicality and aerial ability (for a CB) but McCrorie still gives a good outlet on the ball.

Would still like another CB in though, if Gallagher was injured for any period of time we'd be pretty soft in there.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Yeah, we definitely need in another centre back/utility defender, together with another striker. 

This season has started well but the squad is paper thin in important areas. 

I think it's very likely players are going to come in. I don't think we're just waiting to see if any bids come in but what stage we get to in Europe. Losing this round, next round or making the groups are all a big difference budget wise and we probably can't afford to take the gamble on signing new players who would help us qualify.

I doubt we'll see any further activity until the final few days of August. A 3rd choice striker will  be a priority.

Cormack recently reiterated that Glass will only sign "quality" players and not squad fillers. I'm hopefully Mowbray has a few gems up his sleeve.

For me the best piece of business we could do at this stage of the window is retain Ferguson and get Hedges to sign a new deal. Happily sell them next summer.

9 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Was it not Illgresi saying that we never get an easy draw in Europe when one of the possible opponents was Viktoria Plzen, and now one of these losers that McInnes got rid of has scored a hat-trick against this elite mob.

Several recent appearances in the CL/EL group stages and beyond.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Viktoria_Plzeň_in_European_football

Welsh and Irish clubs seem to be pulling strangely decent results out this season, after previously normally being Euro punchbags (other than Bohs 2000 and one or two other exceptions).

Suspect the two (very) late goals Plzen got will be enough for them though.