The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

4 hours ago, DrewDon said:

If it's a choice between beating Qarabag over the two legs and beating Raith today, I'm taking the former every day of the week, but still would have been nice to win today - and, really, the team starting the match should have been capable of doing that. 

Some of the fringe players gave Glass good reason not to trust them today. Gurr was a weird signing and unfortunately looked every inch the "Georgia Gwinnett Grizzlies" defender today. 

Hindsight (or whatever in this case) is a quality managers can’t rely on but obviously that only works if you bear Qarabag in the tie. If you end up out then this result will really reflect badly on Glass.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Jack Gurr sounds like and plays like a made up footballer.

In the RedTV pre-season Q+A someone asked why we had signed Atlanta Utd's 5th choice RB. (I was surprised they read it out)

Glass was clearly irked by the question, but so far whoever asked the question seems to be more sage than the manager was here.

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Is McCrorie good enough on the ball to be the focal point though?

McGeouch has the talent but lacks the confidence IMO.

McGeouch I thought was unlucky to be subbed today. Plenty of others were worse than him. As for Gurr he's Highland League standard.

Really don't get why we needed to make so many changes. We were at home on Thursday, Hibernian in Croatia yet they went with a strong team today.

At least we've avoided the inevitable thrashing at Celtic Park in the next round.

13 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

McGeouch I thought was unlucky to be subbed today. Plenty of others were worse than him. As for Gurr he's Highland League standard.

Really don't get why we needed to make so many changes. We were at home on Thursday, Hibernian in Croatia yet they went with a strong team today.

At least we've avoided the inevitable thrashing at Celtic Park in the next round.

McGeouch, McGinn and Hayes were awful. JET not much better, along with McLennan. 

Hibs are out of Europe. He was resting players for Thursday, not giving them a break after the game on Thursday.

8 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

I can’t understand why we brought McLennan off and pushed Gurr up to right wing. Having both him and Ramsey stuck right on the sideline didn’t work at all, if anything Gurr just occupied the space that Ramsey could have been driving into.

Think McLennan was injured 

Who do Hibs play in the next round on Thursday night?

Would we have definitely been ball #6 ?

Guest Bob Mahelp

Glass effectively has one job. He has to take the solid foundations that McInnes built, and improve on them. 

He has to win semi finals, and then win finals. He has to shatter the glass ceiling (no pun intended) of the European qualifying round. 

If he can't do that, what was the point of swapping him for McInnes ??? 

His domestic cup record so far is a 3-0 humiliation at home to the Arabs, and today's shambles. Hardly an auspicious start. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

5 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Speak for yourself. The European money would be a a game changer for the club.

Funnily enough we need money to get the bodies in. How do you propose we do that?

I’d happily sacrifice the League for this season if we beat Qarabag and we are guaranteed at least £4m.

But that’s a one-off.

Domestic cups are what clubs like Aberdeen have to target big time. 
Resting 7 players in one of those tournaments was probably 3 or 4 too many. 

39 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Who do Hibs play in the next round on Thursday night?

Would we have definitely been ball #6 ?

Hibs are still in the League Cup with a winnable quarter final at Tannadice.

I would much rather be still in the Cup personally. We won't be getting any further in Europe unless Qarabag are total shite.

Hibs are still in the League Cup with a winnable quarter final at Tannadice.
I would much rather be still in the Cup personally. We won't be getting any further in Europe unless Qarabag are total shite.

That is the conundrum - the fact they decided to put the League Cup right in the middle of two European rounds was always going to be an issue if we were still in it.

To be honest, the side he put out actually played the nicest passing football all season bar the Häcken home game.
The warning signs were still there in that Raith still created two good chances in the first half though - and that we had not forced their keeper to do anything else of note.

I would maybe put the second half down to attitude more than personnel, other than the fact the Gurr was hugely liable for both - but again perhaps a consequence of McGlynn being shrewd enough to spot how they could hurt us, and the whole thing turning from relatively controlled football into a clusterf**k of desperate subs, long balls on to Berra’s napper and the predictable injuries that the team selection was designed to avoid.

34 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Glass effectively has one job. He has to take the solid foundations that McInnes built, and improve on them. 

He has to win semi finals, and then win finals. He has to shatter the glass ceiling (no pun intended) of the European qualifying round. 

His domestic cup record so far is a 3-0 humiliation at home to the Arabs, and today's shambles. Hardly an auspicious start. 

Let's not forget how dreadful we were in the final few months of the McInnes regime. McInnes needed swapped and the chairman chose Glass.

The Raith Rovers result can be swept under the carpet if we take care of Qarabag in the PO round.

If we don't then he'll no doubt come under scrutiny for fielding a weakened team against Raith.

It's questionable whether so many players need rested at this moment in the season. For instance, I wouldn't have taken McKenzie, Considine or Ferguson out today and I'm not sure about starting with McGinn this season. I wouldn't have given him another year but he might still have a role as an impact sub.

And I was concerned when he made the three subs with Brown, Ferguson and Hedges coming on.

However, for me, all will be forgiven if we can get past Qarabag.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

He’s already improved on McInnes’ 7 years in Europe by getting us to the play-off round.

2 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

He’s already improved on McInnes’ 7 years in Europe by getting us to the play-off round.

I’m really not interested in a mcinnes v glass debate as I actually like/liked both, but this isn’t really fair. 

We are in the playoff round of a lower tier competition.