The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

4 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

We wouldn't know if the deal represented value to the club, unless it happened. 

We've pissed away accumulatively more money on worse players than Boyle in recent seasons. Kennedy and Hernandez being the two most recent, 

We've made large profits on McKenna and Cosgrove, and probably will on Ferguson. 

I think Boyle would be an ace signing and I'm not about to get bent out of shape over whether or not our money could be better spent elsewhere, everything is a gamble. 

Everything is a gamble is just a lazy way of saying I just want the bestest players. 

Whilst there’s an element of risk in any deal the idea is to mitigate and minimise the risk of any investment we make. 

Hernandez is a funny one with the Atlanta angle but let’s say for arguments sake we did just spend £750k-£1m on a right back for him to make a handful of appearances then that is a spectacular waste of funds for a club of our size and one we should be avoiding repeating at all costs. 

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

It may be my age, but it fair rips my knitting when I see players whos parents were so "Insta-cool" that they christened the wee radge that way.

An Oldco fan that used to report to me called one of his laddies Harris and that almost tipped me over the edge........

And dinnae get me started on "Kris".

😄

I read your first line and thought "i'll respond by just typing" kris""

30 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Who's saying that's the case if it does come about? It's all speculation- therefore, tedium. 

Hoping we do sign him for a few and with the wages the chairman deems to be reasonable.

I don't find it tedious at all. I love all the back room machinations and the numbers side of things, as well as the game on the park. 

I don't expect everyone to, but there's loads of aspects to football that appeal to different people. 

Some people love stats, some love the strips etc. I don't, but different strokes etc... 

2 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

No, 'every transfer is a gamble' is just a nailed on fact. It's nothing to do with 'I want the bestest players.' 

Stevie May, Forrester, Kennedy, Hernandez, Ojo (who we haven't seen a great return on until the last month) James Wilson, who was our marquee DNA signing are all players we've pissed money on. Transfer fees and high wages, sometimes both. 

The only risk with Boyle that one could argue is the fact he's had two knee surgeries, but at the moment he's flying, and he had an excellent season last year, too, the market we shop in, the best young players are very seldom going to want to come to us. We have to look at journeymen, loans and guys with previous injuries. 

We need another option up the top end of the park, and Boyle would be an excellent signing, caring about the finances is one thing, but sucking all the joy out of a potentially exciting transfer with financial chat is just fucking dire.

Boyle is less of a risk than all of the names listed above, and he'd walk into our team at the moment.

Just try enjoy the Glass revolution.

Enjoy your evening, pal. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

It's weird in the sense that neither Cormack or Glass have given any indication in the last 5 months that we have 500k to splash on a player, never mind a 28 year old journeyman who's just had a flash in the pan season and who's only career consistency is in knee injuries. 

If we actually do have that cash to spend, I'd rather we look at younger players with better potential. 

47 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It's weird in the sense that neither Cormack or Glass have given any indication in the last 5 months that we have 500k to splash on a player, never mind a 28 year old journeyman who's just had a flash in the pan season and who's only career consistency is in knee injuries. 

If we actually do have that cash to spend, I'd rather we look at younger players with better potential. 

"Journeyman" - Played for 3 teams his entire career.

"Knee injuries" - Averaging nearly 30 games a season for us.

"Flash in the pan season" - Improved every season for about 5 years.

Other then that, top post champ.

3 minutes ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

"Journeyman" - Played for 3 teams his entire career.

"Knee injuries" - Averaging nearly 30 games a season for us.

"Flash in the pan season" - Improved every season for about 5 years.

Other then that, top post champ.

Ach stop it man, I was hoping he would chuck in "one trick pony" and "diving b*****d" again so I got two full bingo cards before his home help intervened.

Guest Bob Mahelp
43 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

With you on this one. 

The amount of drivel re Boyle is cringeworthy. 

When Hibs eventually sell him to Wigan or Peterborough,  they'll be delighted if they can get 750K for him. 

There are reasons why teams aren't lining up to make bids for him, and I've listed them all above. They're waiting to see if last season was a flash in the pan season, and they're waiting to see if, despite the hype around him, he's capable of influencing games that count.....in any 'big' game Hibs played last season, he was pretty much anonymous, including the cup final where he disappeared. 

Where was he during Hibs' European adventure ? Did he even play ?

Peter Pawlett had a good season once. Even got his own song. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

1 hour ago, CCB19035 said:

Dons fans for the last 18 months; 

Theres a lack of pace in our team, and we struggle so score goals/create chances. 

Linked with signing a player who ticks all the boxes; 

Can we afford him? Could we do better? He does get injured, etc etc.

Never understand why we're like this

We should be asking questions of the club. 

If there's an alternative to Boyle who's younger and has the potential to be a better player then it should be explored.

Chucking seven figures at Hibs for a player in his peak may help us finish third this season but it's not going to kick us on a level.

I suspect the odds of us signing Boyle may depend on whether we get to the European group stages.

I've backed the team by getting tickets for next Thursdays game. Hopefully, we can get a draw on the quarabag tractor pitch to take to the home leg. Maybe we be cursing their lack of AstroTurf by then?

Who's chucking 7 figures where? As far as I'm aware Aberdeen have bid a 6 figure sum, most probably encouraged by the players agent. We won't go to 1,000,000 for him. Still, the attempt for such an audacious signing should excite us. 

So we'd be deliberately wasting time in bidding way below what we know another club would accept?

There's not a chance they sell him to us for that amount. Therefore nothing to get excited about.

Guest Bob Mahelp

We only need one good season from Boyle to get us a trophy. 

Possibly, but one good season from him last year didn't win Hibs anything. As I pointed out, in their 'big' games (semi final against Hearts, cup final etc) he hid. 

He's a decent player, and on current form would be a good addition to the Dons side. But not at 500K or more for a player who is 28 and who's biggest asset (his pace) will start to wane in the next couple of seasons. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

No, but another club might accept 500K for a good player. 

Shows we're keen and active, I've no issues with it. 

That's fairy nuff. If we actually have 500K, I'm pleased to see that we're prepared to invest it in the team. 

I just have issue with us trying to buy Boyle with that (not that Hibs would sell him to us). I'd rather we used it on better options. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

That's fairy nuff. If we actually have 500K, I'm pleased to see that we're prepared to invest it in the team. 

I just have issue with us trying to buy Boyle with that (not that Hibs would sell him to us). I'd rather we used it on better options. 

I’d say 500k represents the very very upper limit (and still debatable) of what we’d consider a valuable deal for us to bring in Boyle. Anything north of that is a no from me.

It is just the case that any player in world football for any club will have a financial threshold at which point it becomes a bad deal for the buying club and to my mind signing Boyle can only be done by entering into a bad deal.