The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

It's hard to tell if Barron is rated or not going off the comments on this thread. On one hand you've got some saying he wouldn't be good enough for Rangers, and others saying he should follow the career pathway of Ferguson and Hickey, who are undoubtedly too good for us.

I've not seen much of him, but if it were to happen, it would be a rather low risk signing from our perspective I think - getting a young Scottish player with some apparent potential which is a market we need to do better in anyway. I'm not sure how much any development fee would be but expect it would be affordable.

I'm not sure the transfer will happen though.

22 minutes ago, AJF said:

It's hard to tell if Barron is rated or not going off the comments on this thread. On one hand you've got some saying he wouldn't be good enough for Rangers, and others saying he should follow the career pathway of Ferguson and Hickey, who are undoubtedly too good for us.

I've not seen much of him, but if it were to happen, it would be a rather low risk signing from our perspective I think - getting a young Scottish player with some apparent potential which is a market we need to do better in anyway. I'm not sure how much any development fee would be but expect it would be affordable.

I'm not sure the transfer will happen though.

Is any fee affordable to Rangers?

I like Barron but he's not as good as Ferguson was when he left Aberdeen, and he's not going to be as good as Lennon Miller either.

IMO Rangers is probably about right for him at this stage, then it's open about whether he develops well enough or not to go any further. I genuinely don't know.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I like Barron but he's not as good as Ferguson was when he left Aberdeen, and he's not going to be as good as Lennon Miller either.

IMO Rangers is probably about right for him at this stage, then it's open about whether he develops well enough or not to go any further. I genuinely don't know.

I hear what you’re saying but it’s not a certainty that he plays every week for Sevco. That would be his biggest mistake, he doesn’t have a full season of that under his belt and he needs it to develop. 
For me he should stay put and play every week for another year, maybe 2 if it takes that then get the right move. That’s not going to happen though so good luck to him unless he goes to Glasgow then Fuk um. 

Horrible when that lot are sniffing about your players. Surely the dons will be due a hefty development fee which may put them off.

No doubt they'll be waving a PCA at Danny Armstrong come January too. They'll do anything but pay money* to scottish clubs.

*they don't have any 

14 minutes ago, 1GregStewart said:

I hear what you’re saying but it’s not a certainty that he plays every week for Sevco. That would be his biggest mistake, he doesn’t have a full season of that under his belt and he needs it to develop. 
For me he should stay put and play every week for another year, maybe 2 if it takes that then get the right move. That’s not going to happen though so good luck to him unless he goes to Glasgow then Fuk um. 

That’s pretty much how I see it, particularly with the Ferguson comparisons. Ferguson had a couple of years starting with us and really got to grips with how to impose himself on a game. I think Barron’s probably got a higher potential ceiling but doesn’t have the same maturity.

Even if he does start every week for The the Rangers, he’s unlikely to have the same pressure or opportunity to be the main man.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Both OF clubs are career killers. Neither one has improved a single player signed from another Scottish club in over a decade.

If he wants to improve as a player, he needs to go somewhere else.

I think some domestic signings are almost odds-on to 'fail' at Celtic and Rangers because the transition is such a challenging one. You could, for example, have a midfielder who looks excellent in a poorer team that creates chances primarily through counter-attacks and set-plays, with an average possession of roughly 40%, and then suddenly you are signed for a team with an average of 70% possession coming up regularly against low blocks. Some really good players will adapt to that, of course, but it's easy to see why some might not make the grade despite looking so impressive in a different system.

I think Barron would do well at an Old Firm side because some of his really impressive attributes are his progressive passes, his intelligence against a low block, and his ability to operate in tight spaces. So people can say that other players are 'better', and they might be, but Rangers will be wanting to sign him because of what they think he could become, and also because he has specific attributes and strengths that will be transferable to playing for them. 

I wonder if the eventual outcome might be some kind of swap for Barron and Robby McCrorie, if RFC want to avoid the uncertainty of any tribunal verdict on Barron's transfer.

4 minutes ago, O_Kahn said:

I wonder if the eventual outcome might be some kind of swap for Barron and Robby McCrorie, if RFC want to avoid the uncertainty of any tribunal verdict on Barron's transfer.

I really hope not. Can’t be hard to find an equally not that good keeper down south or elsewhere for free surely if that’s the level they’re aiming at?

Edited by Rodhull

7 hours ago, Pizzo said:

Horrible when that lot are sniffing about your players. Surely the dons will be due a hefty development fee which may put them off.

No doubt they'll be waving a PCA at Danny Armstrong come January too. They'll do anything but pay money* to scottish clubs.

*they don't have any 

Not really any different to us signing Robbie Deas on a PCA last season or Bruce Anderson this season.

7 hours ago, MikeAFC94 said:

Both OF clubs are career killers. Neither one has improved a single player signed from another Scottish club in over a decade.

If he wants to improve as a player, he needs to go somewhere else.

Stuart Armstrong feels an obvious one.

I think some players should look beyond them, but for others multiple title medals/cup medals, and the odd foray into the Champions League, is probably as good a career as they'll get. Barron is probably of a generation who shouldn't be viewing Rangers that way now, and I think thats just going to become evident with a lot of 17/18 and below aged players who'll move somewhere else when they come calling.

I guess the issue with Barron is similar to the issue Bailey Rice had, a parent whos absolutely desperate to tell everyone their son plays for Rangers.

46 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Not really any different to us signing Robbie Deas on a PCA last season or Bruce Anderson this season.

It really is. That mob are very different to us and would revel in announcing the deal while he was still our player the way they did with Jordan Jones.

As we all know, they have zero class.

Edited by Pizzo

I think some players should look beyond them, but for others multiple title medals/cup medals, and the odd foray into the Champions League, is probably as good a career as they'll get. Barron is probably of a generation who shouldn't be viewing Rangers that way now, and I think thats just going to become evident with a lot of 17/18 and below aged players who'll move somewhere else when they come calling.

I guess the issue with Barron is similar to the issue Bailey Rice had, a parent whos absolutely desperate to tell everyone their son plays for Rangers.

Barron's old man is known to be a Dons fan.

14 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Christie also, Ryan Jack also became a far better player under Gerrard.  We don't sign that many nowadays from Scottish clubs so the guys claim is nonsense tbh. Celtic is seen as a stepping stone to the EPL with the amount we have sold to that league now so it would be foolish to suggest we don't develop/improve players. As for Barron with O'Reilly away and still negotiating over Bernardo I wouldnt be surprised if we were sniffing about him as well, I think we were linked with him last year iirc.

Edited by gannonball

7 hours ago, MikeAFC94 said:

Barron's old man is known to be a Dons fan.

I'm being genuine when I'm saying you'd never guess. His Twitter is filled with likes and retweets of posts linking him to Rangers.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Christie also, Ryan Jack also became a far better player under Gerrard.  We don't sign that many nowadays from Scottish clubs so the guys claim is nonsense tbh. Celtic is seen as a stepping board to the EPL with the amount we have sold to that league now so it would be foolish to suggest we don't develop/improve players. As for Barron with O'Reilly away and still negotiating over Bernardo I wouldnt be surprised if we were sniffing about him as well, I think we were linked with him last year iirc.

He'd be more of a McGregor replacement than O'Riley, I think, so unsure you'd go this year and not next. So don't think you'll end up signing him beyond a "get it up Rangers" situation.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He'd be more of a McGregor replacement than O'Riley, I think, so unsure you'd go this year and not next. So don't think you'll end up signing him beyond a "get it up Rangers" situation.

Yeah was more meaning in terms of numbers rather than a direct replacement for players mentioned but agree regarding McGregor. It's been going on for years but we still someone to fill in for him rather than run him in to the ground (even with the 5 subs now) so Barron would be a relatively low risk contingency signing for us at worst. For guaranteed game time he may be better elsewhere though.

Edited by gannonball

I'm being genuine when I'm saying you'd never guess. His Twitter is filled with likes and retweets of posts linking him to Rangers.

He likes anything positive about his son, being his father.

3 hours ago, gannonball said:

Christie also, Ryan Jack also became a far better player under Gerrard.  We don't sign that many nowadays from Scottish clubs so the guys claim is nonsense tbh. Celtic is seen as a stepping board to the EPL with the amount we have sold to that league now so it would be foolish to suggest we don't develop/improve players. As for Barron with O'Reilly away and still negotiating over Bernardo I wouldnt be surprised if we were sniffing about him as well, I think we were linked with him last year iirc.

Christie wasted 1.5 years at Celtic before going to Aberdeen and actually developing.