The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

3 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

What should he have done differently?

It's two weeks out from the start of the season. Play the right wing back you intend to play at right wing back in that position. Play the centre back you're forcing out at centre back. Gives the two young lads at cb half a chance.

We earned our way back up the table playing second ball football, with a great team spirit.

Anyone thinking that'll work again for a second season is haunted. Derek on a millionaires budget, I'm afraid.

I was more encouraged by the second half, although with the usual caveats about it still being pre-season and Preston perhaps taking their foot off the gas a bit.

Miovski improved us when he came on, some nice touches and good bits of movement that didn't always get picked up by teammates. Barron tried to give us a bit more control on the game, and was doing more of the correct sort of things against that type of opposition than Ramadani. We managed to get Duk more involved and he was unlucky not to get a penalty from basically nothing. 

It will have been a more useful exercise than Turriff and Fraserburgh in identifying the areas that quickly need addressed, if they weren't already sure. 

Edited by DrewDon

3 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I was more encouraged by the second half, although with the usual caveats about it still being pre-season and Preston perhaps taking their foot off the gas a bit. Miovski improved us when he came on, some nice touches and good movement that didn't quite get picked out by teammates. Barron tried to give us a bit more control on the game too, was doing more of the right sort of things against that type of opponent than Ramadani. Duk was more involved and should have got a penalty from basically nothing. 

It will have been a more useful exercise than Turriff and Fraserburgh in identifying the areas that quickly need addressed, if they weren't already sure. 

Yes, we looked better with Barron in there. Two of our three cm's being able to pick a pass made a difference.

As poor as we were, there was a case for three pens and VAR (spit) probably gives them all.

Didn't think the Miovski one was a pen during the game but if you read the match report, there's a photo of his shirt almost being hauled off 🤣

I don't think I can ever remember saying this but we look sorted up front and short everywhere else!

Given the back 3 that started you'd have thought Shinnie and Ramadani would have the experience to do a little extra screening for at least the first 10 minutes. Clear errors from the defenders but letting an attacking midfielder score two identical goals has to fall on them to some degree.

2 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Yes, we looked better with Barron in there. Two of our three cm's being able to pick a pass made a difference.

As poor as we were, there was a case for three pens and VAR (spit) probably gives them all.

Didn't think the Miovski one was a pen during the game but if you read the match report, there's a photo of his shirt almost being hauled off 🤣

I don't think I can ever remember saying this but we look sorted up front and short everywhere else!

Whilst I like Ramadani, Barron is a more cultured player and clearly has a much higher ceiling. I just hope we can get something out of him this season. We can't have a repeat of whatever happened last season - not good for him or us. 

1 minute ago, Thenorthernlight said:

How about not playing a back 3 when you have no first team centre halves available? 
Milne & MacKenzie are lower league players.

He could’ve unshackled the caravan Shinnie was towing around too. 

Dunno I think playing a back four that included no decent level left backs would have left the centre backs even more exposed.

Definite concern with the two cb’s missing for a while just now. Serbian lad will have to come in playing well assuming he does arrive. I’m sure they’re not that keen to play Stewart just now with trying to get him out the door but not sure he’s worse than the options being used at the moment.

8 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

How about not playing a back 3 when you have no first team centre halves available? 
Milne & MacKenzie are lower league players.

He could’ve unshackled the caravan Shinnie was towing around too. 

Harsh, but I laughed.

24 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Harsh, but I laughed.

It needs to be said.

The defence was way under strength, clearly.

What also stood out is that Robson’s high press is painfully easy to play through & round as Ramadani & Shinnie are far too slow & it then leaves the opposition running at our back 3 with no protection.

Europe will be a hard watch. 

31 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Dunno I think playing a back four that included no decent level left backs would have left the centre backs even more exposed.

Definite concern with the two cb’s missing for a while just now. Serbian lad will have to come in playing well assuming he does arrive. I’m sure they’re not that keen to play Stewart just now with trying to get him out the door but not sure he’s worse than the options being used at the moment.

Stewart is better than both MacKenzie & Milne.

But he clearly won’t get ahead of them based on pre-season minutes. 

And the Serbian lad (if he signs) is highly unlikely to be available for the start of the season.

Robson says Williams has a back injury that is now causing a calf issue and that his rehab is starting from scratch. Sounds like he'll be out for a few months. 

MacDonald will miss the start of the season but shouldn't be too long before we see him back.

I'd prefer to see Stewart start over MacKenzie and Milne if we must.

59 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Robson says Williams has a back injury that is now causing a calf issue and that his rehab is starting from scratch. Sounds like he'll be out for a few months. 

MacDonald will miss the start of the season but shouldn't be too long before we see him back.

I'd prefer to see Stewart start over MacKenzie and Milne if we must.

Devlin was far worse than the young two IMO. Several wild, missed, lunges that he won't get away with domestically.