The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

49 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Wing backs having to cover too much ground so either defence or attack are isolated.

Also our opponents know how what we will do each week in terms of planning their tactics/formation. I hope we are preparing other options in training.

37 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

100%.

2 wins in 11. We went for the cheap option with Robson. 

CBA with the Hibs match this weekend.

We went with the option that turned around our absolute embarrassment of a season to mean that we could even compete in this tie - and have the fallback of group stage Conference League football - rather than spend another season in the Betfred Cup group stages. 

8 minutes ago, bpdon said:

Clutching for some positives tonight…. I thought we played some nice stuff in spells and overall I thought Jensen looked decent. McGarry was great first half but tired. 

I agree.

I think both Jensen and especially McGarry looked good tonight. I just think the tactics are leaving the defence vulnerable. I think going forward we should keep it simple and play 4 at the back. 

40 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

100%.

2 wins in 11. We went for the cheap option with Robson. 

CBA with the Hibs match this weekend.

11 games, including 2 games vs Celtic and trips to Ibrox and Tynecastle, a double header against the Swedish champions, 2x trips to Livi and St Mirren where we have horrendous records etc.

Convenient that you chose to stop before  our win against Rangers too. Could easily spin it as 9 wins out of 18.

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

3-5-2 has to go. Served a purpose but it's killing us now.

Certainly doesn’t work with Morris. He needs binned pronto. Zero defensive awareness and no final product. He gets us up the park because he can beat a man but he’s costing us goals.

Any time he gets in a crossing position I hope the defender puts it out for a corner because it sure as hell isn’t reaching a Dons player.

10 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Certainly doesn’t work with Morris. He needs binned pronto. Zero defensive awareness and no final product. He gets us up the park because he can beat a man but he’s costing us goals.

Any time he gets in a crossing position I hope the defender puts it out for a corner because it sure as hell isn’t reaching a Dons player.

Don't think Morris cost us tonight. I'd blame Devlin for the second.

7 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

Badly missing Pollock, Scales and Ramadani. We've not replaced them adequately.

I also am yet to be convinced that Clarkson is effective as a number 6.

Jensen looks a better player than Scales IMO.

We are crying out for a defensive midfielder against good opposition, I think. Clarkson, Shinnie and McGrath all did fine enough tonight individually, and some of Clarkson's passing was lovely, but the balance is a bit off. It was the same in the first leg. 

Moderately positive about Jensen. McGarry does some good things and some weird things.

Rubezic is certainly proving to be an interesting watch, and I suspect he will remain that way. The decision to dive in at the penalty looked extremely rash and I couldn't believe in the ground that the referee initially thought it was a dive. 

3 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

We are crying out for a defensive midfielder against good opposition, I think. Clarkson, Shinnie and McGrath all did fine enough tonight individually, and some of Clarkson's passing was lovely, but the balance is a bit off. It was the same in the first leg. 

Moderately positive about Jensen. McGarry does some good things and some weird things.

Rubezic is certainly proving to be an interesting watch, and I suspect he will remain that way. The decision to dive in at the penalty looked extremely rash and I couldn't believe in the ground that the referee initially thought it was a dive. 

We definitely need a defensive mid. Ramadani would’ve been invaluable in this double header. 

I’m a bit concerned about Rubezic tbh. The penalty tonight was incredibly rash. Our defence needs time to bed in though and I hope Robson decides on a settled 4/5 asap, preferably without wingers at wing back.

15 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Jensen looks a better player than Scales IMO.

Aye certainly wouldn’t blame Morris for the defeat but when you have a wing back who can’t defend, is more likely to run the ball out of play than he is to beat a man and can almost never get a cross past the first man never mind find an Aberdeen player it’s a real worry that he is being played so regularly.

Really makes me worry the Israeli lad is either seriously unfit or an absolute dud if he hasn’t managed to get any playing time yet.

20 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

We definitely need a defensive mid. Ramadani would’ve been invaluable in this double header. 

I’m a bit concerned about Rubezic tbh. The penalty tonight was incredibly rash. Our defence needs time to bed in though and I hope Robson decides on a settled 4/5 asap, preferably without wingers at wing back.

I never thought Ramadani was particularly good at screening a defence, but he was good at sharing the 'dogs of war' burden with Shinnie. That would definitely have helped us over the two legs. 

Rubezic is a concern, to be honest. I think he has to play in the middle of the three if at all, otherwise he would be even more exposed. There is an opportunity for Williams, provided Robson actually wants Devlin to settle at wing-back, to stake a claim on the right side. My instinct is that MacDonald and Jensen will nail down their places in the middle and on the left respectively, but definitely a question mark over the right.

Edited by DrewDon

48 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

Badly missing Pollock, Scales and Ramadani. We've not replaced them adequately.

I also am yet to be convinced that Clarkson is effective as a number 6.

Rubezic is really poor. 
Jensen will be fine   
Letting Rama go and STILL no replacement in, is negligent.

Clarkson is not a 6. He ends up having to constantly try and ping 50 yard World Cup passes.

But that’s down to the tactical madness of the manager. 

Edited by Thenorthernlight

37 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Morris made no attempt to track Sadiq. Shinnie didn’t pick up the midfielder quick enough meaning Devlin goes to press the ball, leaving space in behind. I don’t think Devlin is directly to blame there.

8 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Morris made no attempt to track Sadiq. Shinnie didn’t pick up the midfielder quick enough meaning Devlin goes to press the ball, leaving space in behind. I don’t think Devlin is directly to blame there.

I dunno. I take Primary level kids and we tell them.not to go steaming in like that.

We went man for man at the back tonight. Sadiq was Devlins man.

15 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Devlin shouldn’t have jumped in & tried to close down their player.

Then again, he should never have been right centre back in the first place.