The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Barry Robson = Callum Davidson.

Lucked out on a team and formation initially but when he had to start to assemble his own team/squad he was completely out his depth. 

The similarities are staggering including the interviews.

Said it for months that he was a terrible blinkered appointment for Aberdeen.

I would be extremely worried with the amount of money they have given him to spend on this squad. 

But no doubt St Johnstone will bend over and take 3 from Aberdeen soon to give him his first win in ages!!!

28 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Lucked out on a team and formation initially but when he had to start to assemble his own team/squad he was completely out his depth. 

I would be extremely worried with the amount of money they have given him to spend on this squad. 

But no doubt St Johnstone will bend over and take 3 from Aberdeen soon to give him his first win in ages!!!

Aberdeen are not scoring 3 against any team, any time soon. 
Not with an u-18’s, long ball merchant in charge. 

27 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Robson had very little to do with the transfers we've brought in; that's just not how the club works these days. The players aren't really the problem either, it's the total and utter lack of any tactical guile, and stubborn refusal to recognise that things aren't working/inability to make any changes to the way the team is set-up.

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

I agree that selling him at that price seemed to make sense. It’s the complete absence of a replacement that’s the issue. It’s not as if they didn’t have the whole month of August to do that.

If the plan is to play a direct game, then Clarkson and McGrath are hardly your ‘second ball’ type midfielders.

Getting a tune out of Barron, which I thought they did to an extent vs Hibs before he was mysteriously subbed, may be the only way to get some stability into the side

Agree…. Up until the final paragraph. 
Barron is lightweight & painfully slow.  
He’ll not make it at Aberdeen.

The midfield is a huge issue. 
When Ramadani was here, we needed competition for him & Shinnie. 
Rama was sold & not replaced. 
Which was piss poor management of the squad.  
We dicked about on the last day making an enquiry for Baccus. 

We’re two short in midfield until January by which time the guts of the season will have been played. 

Edited by Thenorthernlight

5 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Aberdeen are not scoring 3 against any team, any time soon. 
Not with an u-18’s, long ball merchant in charge. 

You genuinely might against us it Duk starts up front.

Theres a genuine argument that Considine is our fastest CB.

14 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Robson had very little to do with the transfers we've brought in; that's just not how the club works these days. The players aren't really the problem either, it's the total and utter lack of any tactical guile, and stubborn refusal to recognise that things aren't working/inability to make any changes to the way the team is set-up.

Ah sorry didn't realise on the transfers.

In regards to the stubborn refusal to recognise and change, read every single fans post on Callum Davidson reign and his 523 formation. 

So similar 

2 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Ah sorry didn't realise on the transfers.

In regards to the stubborn refusal to recognise and change, read every single fans post on Callum Davidson reign and his 523 formation. 

So similar 

Yep, it's one of the absolute worst signs that a manager isn't up to, and can manifest in a multitude of different ways such as a lack of plan B tactically, and sticking by underperforming players (favourites). The signs are all there, but Robson doesn't have the good grace of having won a cup double. I'd take a couple of games in a row right now tbqh.

11 hours ago, Rodhull said:

I don’t see them punting Robson too early even if we go out of the cup to County but whatever the team had when Robson first came in is long gone now and I’m not expecting it to come back any time soon. Plan A looks terrible so far and there rarely seems to be a plan B. The squad doesn’t look all that bad on paper if a little unbalanced, hoping Robson can turn it around or more likely they don’t wait too long to punt him before someone can come in and salvage the season before it’s too late.

Good paragraph this. It's a pretty interesting time that we find ourselves in re:Robson and his future. As was pointed out Plan A doesn't work - if it was eye-bleeding stuff that was grinding out results then fair enough, but it's both that and not getting results that is the reality here. Combine this with Robson's comments after every match and the goodwill that was given to him has all but run out. They may be very reluctant to get rid of him, as it will start to get pretty embarrassing pretty quickly if they are seen as picking poor managers and churning through them. On the other hand, there's also a high risk that the club gets utterly humiliated in Europe if things keep going as they are. I don't think anyone seriously expects that we would be getting through a Conference League group, but there's a huge difference between giving it a go and getting battered every week a la Sevco in the Champions League. 

20 minutes ago, Menzel said:

Good paragraph this. It's a pretty interesting time that we find ourselves in re:Robson and his future. As was pointed out Plan A doesn't work - if it was eye-bleeding stuff that was grinding out results then fair enough, but it's both that and not getting results that is the reality here. Combine this with Robson's comments after every match and the goodwill that was given to him has all but run out. They may be very reluctant to get rid of him, as it will start to get pretty embarrassing pretty quickly if they are seen as picking poor managers and churning through them. On the other hand, there's also a high risk that the club gets utterly humiliated in Europe if things keep going as they are. I don't think anyone seriously expects that we would be getting through a Conference League group, but there's a huge difference between giving it a go and getting battered every week a la Sevco in the Champions League. 

The highlighted above sums it up. Cormack has gone through 3 managers in 2 years. Non have completed a whole season in charge (unless Robson turns it round) who honestly will want to apply for the position when we are looking like a basket case with these appointments and sackings. Going be left with the guys scrambling around who’ve been out a job for a while. 
Of course Barrows/Gunn/Cormack have a good sales pitch in selling the club to a manager but doesn’t look like it’s worked out well so far 

I don’t think we’re on the verge of the club acting tbh. The club will feel they’ve invested in him and he needs time to bed players in, get europe etc. he also inherited the situation where we needed to replace the entire team. 

To be clear that’s not my view but I just suspect nothing is imminent. 

1 hour ago, Moorie said:

The highlighted above sums it up. Cormack has gone through 3 managers in 2 years. Non have completed a whole season in charge (unless Robson turns it round) who honestly will want to apply for the position when we are looking like a basket case with these appointments and sackings. Going be left with the guys scrambling around who’ve been out a job for a while. 
Of course Barrows/Gunn/Cormack have a good sales pitch in selling the club to a manager but doesn’t look like it’s worked out well so far 

There are managers that will always think they are the man to turn it around.

29 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I'm not writing Barry off just yet. I've got it pencilled in for the 27th though.

Haven't seen anything at all encouraging and it feels like a matter of time. 

The key will possibly/probably be the cup tie at Ross County.

Cormack would “hide” behind us being in a semi final as reason to keep him in position should we scrape through that. 

By doing that, he’d also give him a decent run of fixtures in the league after the cup quarter, prior to the semi-final, that might give him a last chance to turn it around.  
St Johnstone. 
Killie. 
Dundee. 
Motherwell.   
Semi final. 

4 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

The key will possibly/probably be the cup tie at Ross County.

Cormack would “hide” behind us being in a semi final as reason to keep him in position should we scrape through that. 

By doing that, he’d also give him a decent run of fixtures in the league after the cup quarter, prior to the semi-final, that might give him a last chance to turn it around.  
St Johnstone. 
Killie. 
Dundee. 
Motherwell.   
Semi final. 

Less than five points from those games would be (more) relegation form. Currently looking very possible. 

And they're generally alternating with ECL games. 

Personally i think a QF defeat will be too soon for Dave. We've got to consider appearances and try to not look like a flakey club to possible replacements.

If we're still in the bottom two by guy fawkes night, after a full round of fixtures, he'll be fired. 

7 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Genuinely laughed a little bit at how poor that kick off, the second clip, actually is.

Yeah I watched that. It’s pretty damning for robson. Makes it clear that the team are being expressly told to lump it long. The fact the centre halves aren’t even interested in taking a pass is quite astonishing. 

22 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yeah I watched that. It’s pretty damning for robson. Makes it clear that the team are being expressly told to lump it long. The fact the centre halves aren’t even interested in taking a pass is quite astonishing. 

We’ve gone from Goodwin asking Anthony Stewart to be Ronald Koeman, to Robson insisting on Roos launching it to the other end of the field.

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Makes it clear but due to the old boys club they act like the players are the ones not showing for the ball.