The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

12 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Hard to imagine how this season could have gone much worse. Actually think the first 11 and main backups assembled are pretty decent but something has gone badly wrong for performances to have dipped so badly.

Built a pretty big squad that should have been enough to handle the extra games but he’s clearly incapable of or unwilling to rotate the squad.  There must be at least half a dozen players that have been a complete waste being at the club this season.

Personally I don’t see them punting him just yet even if we lose both games this week.

The squad does seem built around this formation so if any change is made to it it will be interesting as the squad would no doubt look fairly unbalanced and need a decent amount of shifting in and out come January whether that’s with Robson or a new man.

I think we could easily play 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-2-1  with what we have.

Would surely get more out of the better players, instead of punting it constantly.

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

Would surely get more out of the better players, instead of punting it constantly.

For sure. The lack of wingers could potentially mean moving guys like Duk or McGrath into the wider positions of needed but wouldn't be too much of an issue I think.

Not sure if Robson will want to do that at the moment with the number of centre backs and forwards we have but little depth elsewhere. Possibly a worry that for all the CB's we have Jensen and Gartenmann are probably the only ones that would suit a back four. Couldn't see Rubezic, Macdonald or Williams fitting it.

Edited by Rodhull

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

Even a diamond or box midfield 4-4-2 are possible, if we had a coach with the tactical knowledge/experience. Shinnie, Barron, Clarkson and McGrath could all work there

Robson seems to be married to two up front in certain domestic games, but Ross County at home is the only game where we have got value from it. I do wonder, especially with Duk there, if it is just too tempting to try and bypass the midfield and go direct into him.

I would like to see us try to go with Miovski in a 4-2-3-1 or similar against Motherwell and focus on getting as much creativity and energy around him as possible. Barron and Shinnie with Clarkson more advanced, and we could even have McGrath coming in from nominally wide to overload that area and give the full-back space to run into. We would probably need some proper width on the other side, which would likely have to come from Duncan for now. Devlin and Mackenzie as full-backs. Jensen and one from Gartenmann and Rubezic in the middle. 

We definitely need to try something different, though.

Edited by DrewDon

23 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Teams who have spent specifically less than us on their playing squad.

Spending more money does not give you the right to beat teams. Buying better players with that money is what gives you that right. Those are two very different things. 
Aberdeen’s squad might have cost more money than St. Mirren’s but I wouldn’t swap them. 
If it was as simple as having a bigger budget, Aberdeen would come third in the league every season, because you’ve consistently had the third biggest budget in Scottish football since at least the late 70s. 
I don’t care how much your squad cost to put together. I think you’ve bought some complete duffers and your results would back that up. 

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Spending more money does not give you the right to beat teams. Buying better players with that money is what gives you that right. Those are two very different things. 
Aberdeen’s squad might have cost more money than St. Mirren’s but I wouldn’t swap them. 
If it was as simple as having a bigger budget, Aberdeen would come third in the league every season, because you’ve consistently had the third biggest budget in Scottish football since at least the late 70s. 
I don’t care how much your squad cost to put together. I think you’ve bought some complete duffers and your results would back that up. 

Cool.

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Obviously but outwith us and Sevco the likes of Aberdeen,Hearts and Hibs have budgets much bigger than the rest of the league yet seem to spending it chronically to be consistently be well off 3rd and even relegated ffs. Their fans are right to be thinking that their bigger budgets should be getting better results.

Last season was one of the few occasions that Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs finished in the 3rd to 5th spots.

That is a lot less likely to happen as often as the top two finishing where they do, as the difference in wage/level of player isn’t that stark that it can’t be overcome with a decent manager, organised team etc

There are certain pressures and expectations that come with playing for the bigger city clubs that are a bit less of an issue at other clubs.

I think we are a particularly tough club to manage and only McInnes and Calderwood this side of the millennium have managed a sustained period of consistently finishing where our budget dictates we should.

if we change manager, Robinson becomes an obvious candidate - but many think he maybe suits a Motherwell/ St Mirren size club and wouldn’t adapt at an AFC, Hearts or Hibs.

I’m not so sure, but even if results were there, fans will then have a go at the style of football.  Good luck to the football monitoring board with this one when the inevitable happens - maybe as soon as within the next week or two.

7 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Obviously but outwith us and Sevco the likes of Aberdeen,Hearts and Hibs have budgets much bigger than the rest of the league yet seem to spending it chronically to be consistently be well off 3rd and even relegated ffs. Their fans are right to be thinking that their bigger budgets should be getting better results.

Maybe I’m wrong but I interpreted the comment as meaning the poster felt that their current squad should be beating certain teams because they spent more money on it than other teams did on their squads 
I looked at their starting XI against Killie at the weekend and I wouldn’t swap one single player for the St. Mirren team that started against St. Johnstone. Certain players are no better than their counterpart in our team and others are a significant downgrade. For example I’m thinking Strain v Devlin, Rubezic v Gogic and Shinnie v O’Hara. 
The only player I’d say that’s technically better in their position is Miovski, but I think he’s got a big attitude problem. 

I love Duk, but when is he going to be dropped for his performances rather than when the team formation requires it. He has been a nightmare this season. Whenever he gets the ball it is a 100% certainty that he is going to lose it, with a bad touch/trying to beat a player and failing/simply falling over/running it out of play. He has to spend a few weeks out of the team to try to get himself together again. 

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I love Duk, but when is he going to be dropped for his performances rather than when the team formation requires it. He has been a nightmare this season. Whenever he gets the ball it is a 100% certainty that he is going to lose it, with a bad touch/trying to beat a player and failing/simply falling over/running it out of play. He has to spend a few weeks out of the team to try to get himself together again. 

He’s just irritating me now.

There are a few times in recent games he maybe has merited free-kicks against him - but refs are now making a point of just ignoring everything  involving him. It’s  open season on him now for defenders, and he’s probably got no one to blame for that other than himself.

Edited by tarapoa

21 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

There are a few times in recent games he maybe has merited free-kicks against him - but refs are now making a point of just ignoring everything  involving him. It’s  open season on him now for defenders, and he’s probably got no one to blame for that other than himself.

In fairness, if you are a footballer arriving from abroad it must be difficult to fully digest that the British consensus on (foreign) players exaggerating contact to win fouls in games is to consider it basically more reprehensible than first-degree murder. 

I see the guy Cifuentes that was mentioned a few times in the past when we’ve been looking for managers has been appointed by QPR. Interesting to see how he gets in but that’s obviously one less option for when Robson inevitably gets punted.

44 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

He doesn’t seem to be getting much of a break this season but I don’t think he’s working as hard as he did at the back end of last season. He had one real chance to open his legs yesterday and it lead to Findlay passing back to his keeper who was lucky not to be penalised for picking the ball up.